Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 10:07 PM   #331
zog666 is offline zog666  Australia
diyAudio Member

All my "hires" files max out at 96... I'll have to dig up a 192khz file to see if it can cope.
could it be a cable issue? is 192K easily handled by your average coax cable?
Old 16th January 2013, 10:20 PM   #332
diyAudio Member

Hi Zog,

I think the cable should be fine, It's a nice 75 ohm coax..

To be more exact, my files are either 16/44.1 or 24/96, upsampled to 192 by my Audio GD re-clocker (DI-DSP).. When the DI is set to output 96 or NOS (no upsample) the DAC plays them fine.. But when I set the DI to output 192, the DAC doesnt like it??

Ta
CM
Old 16th January 2013, 10:25 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Question Some options....

Hi zog666!

Something to try with my 24/192 files? Either get me a USB - Spdif/Coax converter to try if I can get my nearly perfect dac to play these - or to install the EDO upgrade on my SBT?

I will see - when I return from my offshore-turn 8 of February(but then my family has booked me to London for 11-15 feb!)

So I must try it in late februar or mars 2013. But my 24/96 files are perfect. They say that 24/192 is like a photo with many pixels, it is overcrowded and soft with details. The 24/96 is not so many pixels, so it gives a better view and more distinct layering of the musical scene.
They say.... so we must not let us be blinded here....
but i will try it when time permits it!

Best
Olav
Old 17th January 2013, 10:35 AM   #334
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
Hi zog666!

They say that 24/192 is like a photo with many pixels, it is overcrowded and soft with details. The 24/96 is not so many pixels, so it gives a better view and more distinct layering of the musical scene.
They say.... so we must not let us be blinded here....
but i will try it when time permits it!

Best
Olav
As a photographer I take exception to this, more pixels in a photo is always going to give you better results (everything else being equal).

But you don't gain so much by high pixel numbers greatly in excess of the what the lens can resolve, and I suspect the same goes regarding original signal quality in audio as well.

Rgds,
Rob.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:39 AM   #335
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyUHF10 View Post
Hi Zog,

I think the cable should be fine, It's a nice 75 ohm coax..

To be more exact, my files are either 16/44.1 or 24/96, upsampled to 192 by my Audio GD re-clocker (DI-DSP).. When the DI is set to output 96 or NOS (no upsample) the DAC plays them fine.. But when I set the DI to output 192, the DAC doesnt like it??

Ta
CM
I just tracked down some 192khz/24bit files to test with.. mine didnt play them either.
Using the same software, PC and cable, I plugged in my older Hifimediy DAA1853 DAC and it played them back fine.
This is with optical spdif, connected to the spdif out of the onboard intel ALC892 (intel motherboard).
I haven't adjusted anything on the DAC since I got it, as it has sounded great how it is, and and haven't installed the SRC module - havent opened the unit to see if there is anything to configure on there.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:53 AM   #336
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog666 View Post
I just tracked down some 192khz/24bit files to test with.. mine didnt play them either.
Hmm,, interesting..?? Thanks Zog for posting that..

From I've read on their website this DAC is supposed to play 192..
I was thinking maybe the up-sampling from the re-clocker was causing the issue?? I'll need to find an actual file that's 192 and test with that.

Was your 192 file re-sampled by your device or software,, or natively 192..??

Another theory might be that the SRC module can accept up to 192,, but not in NOS mode..??

Anyway, hopefully HiFimeDIY himself will chime in with some clarification??

Ta
CM

Last edited by MurphyUHF10; 18th January 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:31 PM   #337
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm,, interesting..?? Thanks Zog for posting that..

From I've read on their website this DAC is supposed to play 192..
I was thinking maybe the up-sampling from the re-clocker was causing the issue?? I'll need to find an actual file that's 192 and test with that.

Was your 192 file re-sampled by your device or software,, or natively 192..??
Not resampled. I dont often play back higher resolution files, but when I do I bypass the linux "pulseaudio" layer (which does resample), and run the sound player accessing the ALSA device directly (Linux sound driver). I can then query the driver directly to see what mode its in, and it reported 192khz.. well not when I was testing just then, but I have used the same method before and confirmed it works.
Quote:
Another theory might be that the SRC module can accept up to 192,, but not in NOS mode..??
I haven't even tried the SRC module yet anyway! I should plug it in.
Old 15th February 2013, 04:40 AM   #338
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Background noise?

I am hearing a kind of "shhhhhh' sound from the speakers when my amp volume is turned up high. The sound is not audible during playback, but whenever there is silence and I take my ear near the speaker cone, I can hear the noise. I have changed the source (different PC), but the noise still remains. Same amp(s) with different DAC (Xonar Soundcard) do not have the noise. So I am guessing that this has got something to do with the DAC or how I have set it up?
Old 25th February 2013, 09:11 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I have some questions about this very interesting dac:

- CS4398 chip has a internal digital volume feature. The volume can be controlled through a I2C (by using a microcontroller, for example). Has someone explored this feature? Are the communication pins on the chip available for an outboard microcontroller?
Of course, by using this feature, one could have a digital preamplifier (4 inputs + a volume control) with a "passive preamplifier" on the output (just a trafo or a cap).

- About the transformer, I have read many people suggesting it, but nobody posted schematics on that (at least in this thread, about CS4398). What configuration is better? (single ended in-balanced out, etc)
What ratio? (1:1, 1:2, etc)

Thanks,
Old 12th March 2013, 02:24 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

Default NO MORE AVAILABLE

I asked to buy it. But, according to hifimedy store, "It will probably not be available anymore".
Any alternative similar DAC?

Hide this!Advertise here!