Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 11:32 AM   #311
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up BIG THANKS!!!

Hi to all...

Got my VERY good sounding dac up and running again --- had some serious silly difficulties with it in the pre-christmas time --- but with very good help from hifimediy-staff(Steinar etc) it is now really exploring my music again! And I got some Sowther-trafos to have some more gain from the balanced output. And if possibly - it is even more dynamic and revealing! My B1 need some gain to drive my home-made SIT(about 8watt) - to full-scale on the Alpair12P!

But again - grateful for help to resolve my difficulties!!

Some pics from my Direct-Dac and my Christmas-SetUp(move to a more permanent place soon)!

Best to all!

Happy New Year

Olav
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0610.jpg (85.2 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0611.jpg (72.4 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0612.jpg (103.0 KB, 385 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 02:31 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Hello
I am a bit curous with this dac.
I have a SRPP tube preap with 300b tube amp, do you think this DAC could work as is with my setup without any modification ?
Thanks.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:56 PM   #313
diyAudio Member

Default 2.0

@hifimedy
when will be the 2.0 version available?
Old 9th January 2013, 02:36 PM   #314
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovien View Post
Great ! Thanks.

Last question, can you tell us what value is the potentiometer's diameter of the source selector ? 6mm or maybe more ? (6mm would be perfect for me )

Board shipped, can't wait for it to be home ! When everything will be build, I will post my thoughts and the detailled ressources I've needed. For now, my project (DAC only, Raspberry may come after, don't know yet) costs 208,47€ everything included (the other parts will be bought from Audiophonics.fr, they can ship to the international).
yes it's 6mm type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buteo View Post
@hifimedy
when will be the 2.0 version available?
it is 2.0 now. no?
Old 9th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueri View Post
Hello
I am a bit curous with this dac.
I have a SRPP tube preap with 300b tube amp, do you think this DAC could work as is with my setup without any modification ?
Thanks.
what's the input impedance of your tube pre-amp?
Old 11th January 2013, 10:32 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

I would get this DAC to drive two amplifiers (one active at time): the hifimediy's T1 and the O2 headphone amplifier by RocketScientist/NwAvGuy.
How should I connect them? O2's imput impedance is 10KOhm, while T1's is 50KOhm. Input sensitivity should be fine for both (1,5V for the T1 and 0,5V for the O2).
Old 12th January 2013, 12:49 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolic View Post
... also i wonder how 3 different clock and power would affect the sound once merged in the 3way 3amped speakers..
I was going to do the same thing...Not so concerned about the power but the 3 x clocking is an interesting one. Could result in a phase shift between outputs?
Old 12th January 2013, 09:23 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
what's the input impedance of your tube pre-amp?
Hello hifimediy,
Sorry but how could i mesure the input impédance ?

Envoyé depuis mon Nook Color avec Tapatalk
Old 12th January 2013, 09:21 PM   #319
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Running this DAC using SPDIF as input from PC with a 5 watt single ended amp and my Alpair 12P bookshelf speakers - lovely sound. Superior sound stage vs my Xonar STX, more separation between instruments, deeper and more detailed bass, sounds very natural.

I like this DAC Thank you HifimeDIY for coming out with a quality product.

OlvaHaal, I can guess your enjoyment . Noticed some of you are using the Sowter transformers - what is the upside of that? I have the DAC connected with the 2x9v HifimeDIY power supply.
Old 13th January 2013, 08:14 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Yea zman01...

Hi again!

Agree totally with you on the subject about this little nice Dac. It sure is very involving and giving very detailing soundscape. You have almost the same set-up as me: I use a Sony SACD-deck or SqueezboxTouch - - CrystalDirectDac -- PassB1 -- homemade SIT1 monos 2x8watt -- Alpair12P in selfmade ported enclosure(fix them this week/photos then!).
The only exception is: I installed some small Sowters, like Puredune did AND the sound? Well it got subjectively more clear with darker backgroung, it is higher in output(VERY objective), and there is a sense of more dynamic contrast. And the effect because of RadioNoice is maybe ...
Here is a quote from Positive Feedback about Dacs and DSD versus REDBook, and it suggest using transformers on the output:

"This, to me, is an example of famous audio designers missing the obvious, probably because they don't have any RF spectrum analyzers in the lab, and aren't familiar with RF design techniques. But solving the problem isn't rocket science—a studio-grade 1:1 isolation transformer, with electrostatic screening, basically filters off all RFI, and breaks the ground connection as well, where quite a bit of RFI floats around.

Lynn Olson "

I wonder what Puredune opinion is about the sound. I also use the 2x9 volt PSU that Hifimediy is selling with the kit.

It is a fine little DAC -for sure. It surpasses my old DacMagic by a long stretch(it is put down in the basement to dust away).

Thanks to the staff at himediy for such easy and good access to a glimpse of Real Fidelity!!

Best to all

Olav

Hide this!Advertise here!