Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2012, 08:38 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
What do you mean by output 2 ?

I suspect the harsh sound is due to the output caps. I was unlucky because the week after I ordered it, hifimediy ships the board with Mundorf.

Previously I have almost similar experience with hifimediy tripath amp. Either change it to better caps or wait some time until it breaks-in. I actually prefer to change it to some PIO K75 caps but I don't have any at this time.

There's a jumper on the board to disable the upsampling, but it is soldered and I don't want to make any changes before it's break-in. Let's see in about 1 week. PS: I tested it using coax input only.

You can read about BCF here : It's About Time&Ultra-Linear Line Stages
There's a link somewhere on that page about the PCB sale. The reason why I choose it because it's simple, I don't need gain and I can borrow some tubes from my friend for experiment. I'm one of those stupid people who thinks that to have a good sound we need tubes :-)

Here's the photo of the stuffs (powered by 16$ r-core trafo):
Click the image to open in full size.
Nice case. It looks tidy and clean.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:29 AM   #142
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What is the price for the :

"Hifimediy “direct out” DAC: cs4398, w/upsampling 192/24 cs8421, TCX0 and TE7022 USB, MUNDORF MCAP"

It says 00.00$
Old 21st February 2012, 07:41 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
What is the price for the :

"Hifimediy “direct out” DAC: cs4398, w/upsampling 192/24 cs8421, TCX0 and TE7022 USB, MUNDORF MCAP"

It says 00.00$
Hmm, thats attractive pricing i've paid $99 and it was discounted from 105 dollar. New stock is expected mid march. Maybe pricing is unknown at the moment.
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:23 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Default Digital noise through usb connection

The dac is directly connected to a pair pf sta508 arjen helder monoblocks with a 50Kohm alps r27 volume control, but i notice a clear digital rumble through the speaker that disappears when disconnecting the usb connector. Is it normal to have that kind of noise with this board. I also have a rather loud tick when changing sample frequency. What should be checked?
Old 24th February 2012, 12:53 PM   #145
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionootje View Post
The dac is directly connected to a pair pf sta508 arjen helder monoblocks with a 50Kohm alps r27 volume control, but i notice a clear digital rumble through the speaker that disappears when disconnecting the usb connector. Is it normal to have that kind of noise with this board. I also have a rather loud tick when changing sample frequency. What should be checked?
I have both coax & USB connected to PC and no audible noise at all. Connection : DAC USB onboard connector > USB cable > Neutrik USB chassis connector > another USB cable > PC.

And perhaps I'm going mad, but USB sounds better to me than coax (the USB port is shared with a wifi dongle)

Hifimediy : where do the USB port on the DAC get the power ? from PC or from DAC internal PSU ?
Old 24th February 2012, 02:19 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

I agree with you that USB sound better than coax or optical. Tried both, but coax/optical sound dull lifeless compared to USB. What is done to shield unwanted signals from the computer on this dac?
Old 24th February 2012, 03:28 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionootje View Post
I agree with you that USB sound better than coax or optical. Tried both, but coax/optical sound dull lifeless compared to USB. What is done to shield unwanted signals from the computer on this dac?
Nothing other than put it on separate metal chassis. To clean up AC, I install schaffner IEC filter.
Old 26th February 2012, 06:21 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Hello everybody,
I'm new here. I have a newbie question:
do you think possible a direct connection of the cs4398 balanced output with the balanced input of "the wire" bal-bal version without using any caps?
Will the 4398 offsets on + and - output zeroing at headphone out?
Old 29th February 2012, 11:00 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Hi,
i do have the same probs when using the usb on my netbook. when i unplug the netbook´s powersupply the noise is gone. no chance to get rid of it by using an ic filter. any suggestions on that ? the coax is clean and very good sounding with my hiface spdif ....

i changed the copper obbligato caps to the film oil obbligatos, no bypass added - HIGHLY recommended !!!
Old 29th February 2012, 01:14 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog3000 View Post
Hi,
i do have the same probs when using the usb on my netbook. when i unplug the netbook´s powersupply the noise is gone. no chance to get rid of it by using an ic filter. any suggestions on that ? the coax is clean and very good sounding with my hiface spdif ....

i changed the copper obbligato caps to the film oil obbligatos, no bypass added - HIGHLY recommended !!!
It's strange, I don't have that problem at all. My PC uses Pico PSU module with external 60watt DC brick.

Do you use Obbligato oil cap like this : eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and it sounds better than the copper + vishay bypass ? what value do you use ?

Mine's still attached to the Epcos, still waiting for component for BCF tube buffer. It's so sibilance with lot of "ssssshhhh", perhaps just a matter of break-in as based on my past experience Epcos & Wima takes ages to properly settle.

Hide this!Advertise here!