Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I've wired 4x 330 Ohms resistors between the +/- DAC Outputs and Inputs off the two Transformers... The suggested value was 300 Ohms, but I've only got this nearest value at home. I've disconnected the Caps for the test and when I find and change the resistors, I would like to remove the capacitors completely.

Attachments

• CS4398and3603_4x300ohm.jpg
    CS4398and3603_4x300ohm.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 537
Hi puredune and thanks 4 info...

Hi all,
I've wired 4x 330 Ohms resistors between the +/- DAC Outputs and Inputs off the two Transformers... The suggested value was 300 Ohms, but I've only got this nearest value at home. I've disconnected the Caps for the test and when I find and change the resistors, I would like to remove the capacitors completely.

So - it is that simple - to get the transformator singing. And no capacitors like they use on some of the Lundahl Transformers?:confused: Then I better get me some good resistor(Takman or Kiwave). The sound will depend somewhat on the quality on these resistors - I believe.
My Dac is finished to put in a nice case(soon to come EBay-way:patient..patient)

Best

Olav

Some diff Murphy

Thanks!!

Also,, when using "Direct out" it's ok to just leave the -Ve output (for both L + R) un-connected / floating..??

I notice the Coupled output simply uses +Ve output and leaves -Ve un-used..?? Is this correct??

Ta
CM

If I have got it right - Puredune uses the Ve+ AND Ve- for both channels through four 300ohms resistors(one for each lead + and -).
and he`s got nice sound. So I don`t understand why one should use GND instead of Ve-??
And maybe there are interference and hum with using GND?:eek:

Maybe - maybe not??

Best
Olav

If I have got it right - Puredune uses the Ve+ AND Ve- for both channels through four 300ohms resistors(one for each lead + and -).
and he`s got nice sound. So I don`t understand why one should use GND instead of Ve-??
And maybe there are interference and hum with using GND?:eek:

Maybe - maybe not??

Best
Olav

Hi Olav,
Is your suggestion of using all 4 outputs via a resistor network only for Transformer coupled direct out??

My question was simply about wiring direct-out outputs (via RCA connectors) for use with pre-amps that use capacitors on the signal input.. Would you still suggest using -Ve output pin for RCA GND tab.??

Ta
CM

Think so....

Hi MurphyUHF10!

I don`t really know what is the best solution.. but if we look at puredunes picture he clearly uses Ve+ and Ve- for both channels. And straight via 4 300ohms resistors to the transformator. So I will try that later this year. Puredune has nice sound - he tells!
But if there is a difference in ouputlevel or sound IF you use the Ve+ and AGND instead - I don`t know. Balanced signal has a higher output ordinarily - but I have never made an amp that is balanced - so the experts must come w/suggestions.
But I will try puredunes solution later - first I must get the DAC running through the CapacitorsCoupled output.
And I some Alp12P that is on low-heatingUp upstairs --- waiting for a box to be built.
So I must take one step at a time - but really looking forward to the transformator-solution. But it is best to get a nearly optimale start - and change some minor things later.:cool:

Best

Olav

Couldn`t wait....

Hi all --- and yes there is lights.....:cool:

Have not received my enclosure from EBay-way yet!! But had to see if this little thing was just as good or better than the old DacMagic. Hasn`t listened much yet - but there is sound(still no oversampling) - sounds good so far!!:D
Will fix everything in due time. Now it is standing on the DMagic - B1 passive - and my homemade SIT-monoblocks. And through the Alp10.2.
As you see I have prepared cables for the cables for the transformators - and the DSD as I have some DSD-files on my pc + on DVD playing through my Sony SCD-xe800. Will listen if there is difference from the Sony direct to B1 or from PC - through the DSD in the Crystal and through B1!

Listening impression will follow in some time!!

Best
Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0497.jpg
    DSC_0497.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC_0498.jpg
    DSC_0498.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 429
Hi All....

Just a short info about the listening session - still hasn`t got my box!:confused:

But the sound on this little.... is just amazing with a soundstage that is just so revealing. It is so distinct and brimming with detail that my DacMagic is forced to retirement. :)
There is only one thing - my no-gain buffer + lowClassA poweramp could give more breath and touch to the sound!! Does anybody know if there is a alternative with a step-up trafo instead of the Sowther 3603? One with 1:1,5 or something like that. Or is the output you use puredune higher in Volt-out, so it is enough to give more PUNCH?

Best

Olav

Thanks Puredune

Hi and thanks for the replay - and yes - as I been told there should be twice as much gain on the balanced output.
So I will go for the 3603 - later this year! Will enjoy this for a little while - and I have also started to build (sawing) the boxes for the Alp12P!!
And must keep a "little" low profile with my buildingpractices - so my familie is also taken care of. One step at a time - but anyway - grateful for feedback puredune.

Best

Olav

hi Hifimediy

Hi, it's normal. And I have to explain what the LEDs mean on board.
1. LED near USB input, indicates the USB active or not.
2. LED on SRC module, light up when the signal input is locked(correct).
3. LED on switch board, means there is signal active on the current channel.

@hifimediy

Hi and thanks for nice Dac - so full of detail - less is more.

But i have 1 question - when using the USB and with some nice 24/96 files from BlueCoast - there was no sound from Foobar. Then I discovered that default for input on Windows uses WMA(Windows Media Player - format). I then tried this player(WMPlayer) - and it sounds good with this player AND WMA-format. But is Windows converting the files on the go - with the same resolution(24/96). Or must I convert them to WMA24/96 to be sure that the format is uncorrupted?:(

Or I have to stream them from my stationary PC through the SqueezTouch and via SPDIF? But the support and update of SqueezServer is gone soon - so I must go to PC-based local one day!!:confused:
I think.

So many options - and to little time to our projects...

Olav

Hi again ----

@hifimediy and everyone...

Sorry again - after fiddling around with output-settings on foobar, and i suddenly found the choice = hifimediy usb and voila - now bluecoast is been put out from my pc in highres from foobar!:)! My mistake was that I thought the Wma and Dsp was the only choice on the Tenor 7022!

but it clearly puts out Wav-files in High-Def through the Wasapi-driver I have installed.
I believe and think the sound is high-def.

Best
olav

I'm sitting here listening for the first time (finally got the chance to finish it!)..

I'm very impressed!! Sounds great :)

Great detail,, good clean sound,, excellent sounstage.

Using SRC module and Coupled outputs.. This weekend I will try direct-out and NOS mode ;)

It's getting late,,, tomorrow I will post a photo my build.

Thanks..

CM

Nice - nice

Hi MurphyUHF10!!

Fine build - and open and easy outlay on this Sup-Dac!!

I will post pics when I`ll be finished in November with my Sowther(will order them start of November).
At the same time I`ll be finished with my new No-Ordinary homemade Alp12P.

Pics in November of both builds!!;)

Best to all.
Olav

hi hi Hifimediy

There is differential output connector on board.;)

Just a little thought before I get my trafo to this fine little unit - Can we use both output at the same time? Or do I need to use a switch to change between coupled output(single end) and differential output(balanced)? Is it capabel to run both output if I want to use that possibility. I see MurphyUHF10 has used both outputs without a switch.:confused:

Best

Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.