Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2011, 09:41 PM   #111
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie questions

Please pardon my ignorance. I've been reading to see which cheap DAC to get and this one seems the most promising for me so far. My plans would be to use a lampizator kit for ouput. My questions are: 1) I should be able to use the lampizator kit with this dac? 2) If I order it without the USB interface, can I later add a USB to I2S card that does higher sampling rates (192khz for example)? Something like the ExaDevices exaU2I when cheaper ones appear on the market... Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 10:24 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Default Why adding up-sampling ship?

Hello,

I don't understand this specific point: CS4398 has up-sampling capabilities. So, what is the point in adding an up-sampling chip?

Thanks for any comment on that point!
Old 10th December 2011, 06:03 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmito View Post
Please pardon my ignorance. I've been reading to see which cheap DAC to get and this one seems the most promising for me so far. My plans would be to use a lampizator kit for ouput. My questions are: 1) I should be able to use the lampizator kit with this dac? 2) If I order it without the USB interface, can I later add a USB to I2S card that does higher sampling rates (192khz for example)? Something like the ExaDevices exaU2I when cheaper ones appear on the market... Thanks
Hi, I think this DAC is easy to work with many amplifier kits. And you can use a USB to cox/optical module to work with the dac. We don't have I2S input on board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribet View Post
Hello,

I don't understand this specific point: CS4398 has up-sampling capabilities. So, what is the point in adding an up-sampling chip?

Thanks for any comment on that point!
Hello, I don't know cs4398 has up-sampling. I know it has sample rate setting pins and we already set it to accept 100~200kHz, and we up-sample the input signal to 192kHz default. The up-sampling function make the DAC chip work always at same sample rate regardless the input SR.
Old 10th December 2011, 10:05 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hello, I don't know cs4398 has up-sampling. I know it has sample rate setting pins and we already set it to accept 100~200kHz, and we up-sample the input signal to 192kHz default. The up-sampling function make the DAC chip work always at same sample rate regardless the input SR.
Do you mean 44.1kHz source is up-sampled to 192kHz?
Old 10th December 2011, 12:49 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

yes. If the signal on s/pdif input bus is 44.1k or other sample rate, the I2S signal's sample rate on the output of receiver chip will be same, but after cs8421, the sample rate will become 192kHz.
Old 10th December 2011, 03:26 PM   #116
cOz is offline cOz  United States
diyAudio Member

It would be really cool to see someone deatil how to Lamphizator one of these kits.
Old 13th December 2011, 04:27 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am curious about the DAC, mainly some technical specs. I am trying to put it to a class A amp without any capacitor.

Trying to find out these parameters.

1) what is the Vout peak to peak?
2) What is the DC voltage at the output?

Thanking in advance.

Oon
Old 26th December 2011, 10:21 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Hi,

I am curious about the DAC, mainly some technical specs. I am trying to put it to a class A amp without any capacitor.

Trying to find out these parameters.

1) what is the Vout peak to peak?
2) What is the DC voltage at the output?

Thanking in advance.

Oon
Hi, Vout(pp) is about 3.4V, and 2.5V offset.
Old 27th December 2011, 02:51 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

Oon

from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 5th January 2012, 08:32 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Hi.

I want to replace the digital board of a Kora Hermes II dac (which uses a cs43122 dac chip) with a newer dac board, and I am considering this board. I want to retain the analog stage which is a ECC82 tube output stage, which I like very much, and gain some channel separation, which is basically the only complaint I have with the Kora hermes II dac, and maybe some detail. I have 2 questions:

1) does this DAC board accept 24/192 data from the coaxial input?

2) Is it practically difficult in this board to take the differential inputs directly, place a capacitor on each one (so four capacitors rather than two) and send those to the tube stage? I have a decent knowledge of theoretical electronics (I am a physicist) but my soldering skills are rather basic...

thanks,

Massimiliano

Hide this!Advertise here!