Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2011, 10:43 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mc2 View Post
Hi .... hifime... or nick
You have a plan in the futur for including a DSD input ? ..... the 4398 can support directely
Thank
Hi, good idea. but I checked the datasheet again and find we can't support DSD now, because we use this chip in stand-alone mode. May be we could have a advanced version to make it later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Hi,

Just checking about the volume control. If I were to put as switch to the jumper JP1 on the board, I could have the option between upsampling and no upsampling?

Does it come with a digital volume control?

Oon
yes you can try to do that.
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:25 PM   #102
Rosu99 is offline Rosu99  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rosu99
Hi guys, anyone tried it with outputtransformers like Lundahl or Edcor ? maybe no reason to do it.
Also does it work with WASAPI or ASIO from a mediaplayer like J River when using USB ?
Old 4th December 2011, 08:50 AM   #103
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Does this dac has a LPF on the output ?
Old 5th December 2011, 01:45 AM   #104
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Just to add to my question above, another newbie qustion : If there's no LPF, how can the circuit removes the ultrasonic garbages with only caps on the output ?
Old 6th December 2011, 07:37 PM   #105
tojoko is offline tojoko  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
I have modified a Behringer SRC2496 which uses AKM4393. To my ears, direct out from chip via some caps sounded best, cleanest...

Only disadvantage is relatively low output level.
hallo

ik las dat je de scr met een passieve uitgang gebruikt, ik had dit ook en vond het een verademing vergeleken met de normale uitgang, maar sinds kort werkt dit niet meer goed, eerst 1 kanaal wat uitviel, later ook het tweede...als ik actief weer aansluit, werkt alles weer, dus de dac is niet de dader, hoe heb jij de passieve uitgang toegepast, zou graag weer relaxed willen luisteren, gaarne tips...

groeten, Tom
Old 6th December 2011, 08:12 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

6.8uF obbligato caps in series, with the + outputs of the dac, and a resistor parallel to gnd... simplest solution out there...
Old 6th December 2011, 08:22 PM   #107
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Half the output signal, less good specs (as this DAC chip was definitely intended the be used with both the + and the - output pins) and HF garbage as a bonus. I guess if this is good sound anything sounds good.

Really, I think there are more elegant ways of making an output stage for good DACs. Transformers for instance when one wants the passive way or this active one, check the discrete output stage:

Ray's Audio Page

I used CS4397 frequently with transformers just as WM8740 and in both cases good transformers were the best compared to just a cap. And full signal output + good specs too. Transformers have the nice feature that HF does not pass till some account. The whole point with transformers is the higher cost and where to find good ones.

Last edited by jean-paul; 6th December 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:47 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Half the output signal, less good specs (as this DAC chip was definitely intended the be used with both the + and the - output pins) and HF garbage as a bonus. I guess if this is good sound anything sounds good.
Never claimed this was the best that could be done... It was just much better than what I had tried before (and extremely simple), which was a tube stage.

I agree that a buffer+filter should be added.
I agree that the differential output can be summed, although not necessary
I agree that a gain stage can be added, although not necessary.

I however maintain that direct passive output is not a bad solution for its simplicity, and I compared the SRC with direct output, and it sounded very close, if not better, to a Creek CD player (which was in its day highly acclaimed).
Old 7th December 2011, 04:21 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post

Really, I think there are more elegant ways of making an output stage for good DACs. Transformers for instance when one wants the passive way or this active one, check the discrete output stage:

Ray's Audio Page

I used CS4397 frequently with transformers just as WM8740 and in both cases good transformers were the best compared to just a cap. And full signal output + good specs too. Transformers have the nice feature that HF does not pass till some account. The whole point with transformers is the higher cost and where to find good ones.
This dac was designed so people could use the output stage they prefer. All the outputs from the cs4398 are easily available on the board.
If you don't like the idea of the simplisitic way of only a cap, then you can add whaterver output stage you want.
That said, I personally stand by the simple direct out way, I think it sounds really good, and this way also sounded much better on my gigawork dac.
Old 7th December 2011, 04:34 PM   #110
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
I agree that a gain stage can be added, although not necessary.
A gain stage is not necessary, with both outputs used you will have normal signal level. This is inherent to symmetrical outputs. You loose signal when only one output is used. It would be different if both outputs were coupled out to a balanced preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
This dac was designed so people could use the output stage they prefer. All the outputs from the cs4398 are easily available on the board.
If you don't like the idea of the simplisitic way of only a cap, then you can add whaterver output stage you want.
That said, I personally stand by the simple direct out way, I think it sounds really good, and this way also sounded much better on my gigawork dac.
Maybe adding information on different output solutions is a wise idea so users will be well informed. For instance a drawing with both the + and - outputs and the options one has. This is contructive comment, do not understand me wrong please.

Last edited by jean-paul; 7th December 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!