Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMAGE LAMPIZZATOR BY NYKY

I attach photo of My LAMPIZZATOR used for the DAC, they are also there the schemi,guadagnos(GAIN) very low 1:1 even if he/she forces to hold the volume to -8db in entry (Foobar) otherwise Saturated entry, Sound ECCEZZIONALE,TRASPARENTE, from FARE,valvole to be used 6135 GE 5 stars (BEST),o 6c4 GE, for information make to know me hi

Attachments

• ALIMENTATORE.jpg
    ALIMENTATORE.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 811
  • INTERNO 2.jpg
    INTERNO 2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 811
  • INTERNO.jpg
    INTERNO.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 779
  • SCHEMA PREAMPLI.jpg
    SCHEMA PREAMPLI.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 754
Hi,

I working on a project which include this Direct Out DAC (can't wait to buy it !) And I would like to know if we can directly connect an I2S input ? It seems that the question has been already asked, but I haven't find any clear answer in this thread. And Google won't help me on this task :)

In my case it would be to connect a Raspberry Pi (I2S output via GPIO pins and some hardware). So, is it possible ?

Thanks

Ciao,il my DAC strongly evolves him with a form of condesatori MKP+ Elettrlitici for disaccoppiare the Analogical Digital part and to lower the impedance of the battery, the sound times is very More transparent low very articulated bello,Si can also use with transformer feeding. For your curiosity the Battery after 12H Plays anchors!!! V5 OK,V3,3 OK

Attachments

• BATT+Power supply+DAC.jpg
    BATT+Power supply+DAC.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Lampizzator by Nyky.jpg
    Lampizzator by Nyky.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Power supply 1.jpg
    Power supply 1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Power supply 2.jpg
    Power supply 2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 223
Hi,

I working on a project which include this Direct Out DAC (can't wait to buy it !) And I would like to know if we can directly connect an I2S input ? It seems that the question has been already asked, but I haven't find any clear answer in this thread. And Google won't help me on this task :)

In my case it would be to connect a Raspberry Pi (I2S output via GPIO pins and some hardware). So, is it possible ?

Thanks

Hi, yes you can try the I2S to M1 connector. And signals show below. Remenber to remove the upsampling module or jumpers on M1, and keep I2S cable as short as you can. And do not plug it when poweron. The I2S signal will directly go to CS4398.
BTW, keep JP2 open to select PCM mode.

Attachments

• IIS.PNG
    IIS.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 195
Ended!!

Hi, verdict: AsusD2x (digital coax) + Dac to battery +6135 (6C4) sound, exceptionally middle vinyl! Amazing range, voices very real natural, low laodness no!:)

Attachments

• SAM_1164.jpg
    SAM_1164.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 136
  • SAM_1160.jpg
    SAM_1160.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 136
  • SAM_1159.jpg
    SAM_1159.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_1156.jpg
    SAM_1156.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 244
  • SAM_1152.jpg
    SAM_1152.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 219
  • SAM_1147.jpg
    SAM_1147.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 174
  • SAM_1141.jpg
    SAM_1141.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 227
Problem Windows 7 32

Hello, the problem is not the DAC as both ligresso COAX that OTICAL with ua source other than the PC (DVD Player) go! Aggacio The indicator lights, windows nomination "SPDIF Interface (USB)" then it conflicts with the VERA SPDIF of ASUS d2x.
:(

Hi, yes you can try the I2S to M1 connector. And signals show below. Remenber to remove the upsampling module or jumpers on M1, and keep I2S cable as short as you can. And do not plug it when poweron. The I2S signal will directly go to CS4398.
BTW, keep JP2 open to select PCM mode.

Great ! Thanks.

Last question, can you tell us what value is the potentiometer's diameter of the source selector ? 6mm or maybe more ? (6mm would be perfect for me :D)

Board shipped, can't wait for it to be home ! When everything will be build, I will post my thoughts and the detailled ressources I've needed. For now, my project (DAC only, Raspberry may come after, don't know yet) costs 208,47€ everything included (the other parts will be bought from Audiophonics.fr, they can ship to the international).

BIG THANKS!!!

Hi to all...

Got my VERY good sounding dac up and running again --- had some serious silly difficulties with it in the pre-christmas time --- but with very good help from hifimediy-staff(Steinar etc) it is now really exploring my music again! And I got some Sowther-trafos to have some more gain from the balanced output. And if possibly - it is even more dynamic and revealing! My B1 need some gain to drive my home-made SIT(about 8watt) - to full-scale on the Alpair12P!

But again - grateful for help to resolve my difficulties!!

Some pics from my Direct-Dac and my Christmas-SetUp(move to a more permanent place soon)!

Best to all!

Happy New Year

Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0610.jpg
    DSC_0610.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC_0611.jpg
    DSC_0611.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 500
  • DSC_0612.jpg
    DSC_0612.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 487
Great ! Thanks.

Last question, can you tell us what value is the potentiometer's diameter of the source selector ? 6mm or maybe more ? (6mm would be perfect for me :D)

Board shipped, can't wait for it to be home ! When everything will be build, I will post my thoughts and the detailled ressources I've needed. For now, my project (DAC only, Raspberry may come after, don't know yet) costs 208,47€ everything included (the other parts will be bought from Audiophonics.fr, they can ship to the international).
yes it's 6mm type.
@hifimedy
when will be the 2.0 version available?

it is 2.0 now. no?

I would get this DAC to drive two amplifiers (one active at time): the hifimediy's T1 and the O2 headphone amplifier by RocketScientist/NwAvGuy.
How should I connect them? O2's imput impedance is 10KOhm, while T1's is 50KOhm. Input sensitivity should be fine for both (1,5V for the T1 and 0,5V for the O2).

Running this DAC using SPDIF as input from PC with a 5 watt single ended amp and my Alpair 12P bookshelf speakers - lovely sound. Superior sound stage vs my Xonar STX, more separation between instruments, deeper and more detailed bass, sounds very natural.

I like this DAC :) Thank you HifimeDIY for coming out with a quality product.

OlvaHaal, I can guess your enjoyment :). Noticed some of you are using the Sowter transformers - what is the upside of that? I have the DAC connected with the 2x9v HifimeDIY power supply.

Yea zman01...

Hi again!

Agree totally with you on the subject about this little nice Dac. It sure is very involving and giving very detailing soundscape. You have almost the same set-up as me: I use a Sony SACD-deck or SqueezboxTouch - - CrystalDirectDac -- PassB1 -- homemade SIT1 monos 2x8watt -- Alpair12P in selfmade ported enclosure(fix them this week/photos then!).;)
The only exception is: I installed some small Sowters, like Puredune did AND the sound? Well it got subjectively more clear with darker backgroung, it is higher in output(VERY objective), and there is a sense of more dynamic contrast. And the effect because of RadioNoice is maybe ...
Here is a quote from Positive Feedback about Dacs and DSD versus REDBook, and it suggest using transformers on the output:

"This, to me, is an example of famous audio designers missing the obvious, probably because they don't have any RF spectrum analyzers in the lab, and aren't familiar with RF design techniques. But solving the problem isn't rocket science—a studio-grade 1:1 isolation transformer, with electrostatic screening, basically filters off all RFI, and breaks the ground connection as well, where quite a bit of RFI floats around.

Lynn Olson "

I wonder what Puredune opinion is about the sound. I also use the 2x9 volt PSU that Hifimediy is selling with the kit.

It is a fine little DAC -for sure. It surpasses my old DacMagic by a long stretch(it is put down in the basement to dust away).:eek:

Thanks to the staff at himediy for such easy and good access to a glimpse of Real Fidelity!!

Best to all

Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.