Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You have said that there is no I2S connection on this dac but schouldn't that
be possible if the SCR is removed ?

They probably masterclock the receiver/ASRC and DAC synchronously. (That's the case on the DDX320 at least)

I proposed already to HifiMe to think about I2S-in only devices (DAC and DDX), since many potential customers are running USB2I2S interfaces.
For them these devices would be much easier to built at even lower cost on both sides.

The question is if the sound quality will be the same.

Cheers

Hi to all!!

:):) As a fairly new member of the dac-building guerilja, I have just bought the sc4398dac from your site - Hifimediy. As an earlier builder of the Pass-B1 Buffer and the SITamp(L`Amp-resistor based) I think I can get it up and running - or else maybe someone here can support some suggestion....
It will not arrive until the 20 of september - so I can get a good enclosure and find where and if I can move the D1-led to the faceplate or things like that...

will be nice to hear if this Dac can beat my old DacMagic(somewhat tired of that WM8740 and my Squeezbox Touch uses 8741)
Looking forward to hear a new fresh take on the digital line...

Best to all

Olav

The Obbligato alone sounds very " High End ". Lots of details and airy 3 D Soundstage. The Bass is ok. With the 1837 everything becomes more " Ground ". Warmer sounding but less detail and 3D ( as always ;-) . I like it more, it´s more musical to my ears. I will listen to it a few days, maybe I´m going to step up the level of my Tweeters in the end a bit, but that´s ok ...

I ordered a pair of the cheaper Obbligatos ( film oil ) to see what they will do. it´s fun to fiddle around with a solution that always sounds good in the end ;-) .

AND : Should i go the Lundahl ( 1517 ) or the Aikido Way ? Hmmmm ....

Hi,

What's the Vishay 1837 cap value you have used? When you mentioned bypass, do you connecting in parallel with the Oblbligatos cap?

Hi all,
I don't know much about eletronics. I'm simply a Synth DIY builder and user for ~3 years now, and a Linux Audio User since 2002. I am using as a Jack Card a RME HDSP9632 and a Card Zoo of other Alsa Devices to plug & sync to the Jack Audio Server a couple of Beis AD24QS via Alsa_In, for monitoring and pre-mix / virtual summing applications. I'm very enthusiastic about the State of Art Sound from Linux Audio in conjunction with the Cirrus Logic Flagship A/D - D/A Converters. A Alsa_In example: http://demosynth.dyndns.org/files/beis/JackServer.png ...The beauty of Linux RT or Low Latency & Jack Audio Server is the removal of the Jitter caused by the OS.

Soon I would buy & try this nice board!

This past weekend I've sold my fantastic Beis DA24QS to help financing this project. :)

Therefor I am thinking of trying this DAC board, first without the Output Transformers. Yet I do not understand whether the 1K min. load is needed also through the Caps Out?

In case I do try the Sowter 3603, could someone please explain to me a wiring example for the Secondary to the >1Kohm>RCA? ...is this tansformer suited for XLR Balanced Connections? (Pins 4, 5, 6, 2) http://www.sowter.co.uk/conpics.htg/3603.gif

I've obtained these answers from Sowter and Lundahl companies:

According to the data sheet this is a voltage out DAC. The output impedance is ~120 ohms and it should be loaded with not less than 1k. The level is ~7V p-p max.

Our type 3603 would be very suitable for this. You will need to use a ~1k resistor across the secondary to ensure the DAC sees the correct load.

However, LL1690 is an input transformer with a certain copper resistance. For your type of application I would normally recommend the LL1527 or LL1527XL. These transformers performs very well with most DAC boards and chips.

Really, nobody can explain to me how to try wiring the pins 4, 5, 6, 2 of the Sowter 3603 output transformers?

I need to know another very important thing, in order for me to expand the monitoring ADC Inputs on my System... Could it work simultaneously on this Board the Toslink or Coax Input and the USB Out?

In this case, which way is possible for me to make the internal connection with the ADC/ Coax Optical or both?

If it worked, I'd be very happy to be able to connect two more analog inputs... The internal Coax connection was perfect to maintain the a external Toslink Out from the ADC... If this USB Alsa Device is recognized with another Device-Name (arecord -l) than the miniStreamer, two times as happy for 2x more analog inputs possibility, seeing that it is impossible to use more then once same chipset or device (alsa device number ordering configuration for the usability: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf).

Attachments

• DACvero.png
    DACvero.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 675
I received the DAC today. Upon powered up, the onboard LED failed to lit up although the 5V and 3.3V showed correct output on my multimeter.

Further measurement of the couple output (after the caps) measured a 2.5VDC at both LH and RH channel with no digital inputs.

Is this normal?

The CS4398 sounds very near to the analog and natural... The descriprtion of the hifimedy's application looks awsome. Maybe the best CS4398 DAC Board on the market... Absolutely to have and test !!! Testing by me coming soon... It is possible to find CS4398's KITs for ~20 EUR with few mod you can obtain a nice sound spending less then ~60 EUR and ~2 days work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.