Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@ HifiMeDIY.

Got two questions?

Have you ever considered Tenor 8802L as USB interface chip?

E.g. Audio-GD devices show clear improvements by using (async) Tenor 8802L over (adaptive) 7702L.

Are you still working on a multichannel device? If yes -- do you also consider building a multichannel USB-DAC? (That's what the DIYworld is looking for ;) ?

----

Ah and one more ( a little off topic): As you know I'm a quite happy owner of your DDX320 (...replacing my Twisted Pear Buffalo ) - no issues with DAC outputstages, cableing, connectors, amp inputstages, asf. ;) )

Would it be possible to attach the 4398 DAC input stage discussed over here to the DDX320 module?? It would also allow to drive the amp directly via USB!?!? And you might get rid of the CS8416 problem.

Thx

Last edited:
@ HifiMeDIY.

Got two questions?

Have you ever considered Tenor 8802L as USB interface chip?

E.g. Audio-GD devices show clear improvements by using (async) Tenor 8802L over (adaptive) 7702L.

Are you still working on a multichannel device? If yes -- do you also consider building a multichannel USB-DAC? (That's what the DIYworld is looking for ;) ?

----

Ah and one more ( a little off topic): As you know I'm a quite happy owner of your DDX320 (...replacing my Twisted Pear Buffalo ) - no issues with DAC outputstages, cableing, connectors, amp inputstages, asf. ;) )

Would it be possible to attach the 4398 DAC input stage discussed over here to the DDX320 module?? It would also allow to drive the amp directly via USB!?!? And you might get rid of the CS8416 problem.

Thx

Hi, soundcheck. Glad to see you.
We still use TE7022L on new DAC, although we already support 192k now, I think 7022L is good enough and will acceptable price. But I can use better chips anytime when we believe we should.;)
And I'm still working on the DDX, with slow progress as you know:eek: I will try your idea, hope it works:D

hey, when is the newest version will be available?
Hi, already available I think.

Hi, soundcheck. Glad to see you.
We still use TE7022L on new DAC, although we already support 192k now, I think 7022L is good enough and will acceptable price. But I can use better chips anytime when we believe we should.;)
And I'm still working on the DDX, with slow progress as you know:eek: I will try your idea, hope it works:D

Hi, already available I think.

Do you mean 192k on TE7022 ? Is that possible ?

I also vote for new USB chip, either one of the TE or CM as long as it supports Linux.

I have some experience with high speed usb receivers : TE7022 (24/96) and TE8802 (24/192 asynchronous) much more expensive.
Frankly speaking, I could not hear any difference. I sold the 24/192 device (musiland monitor usd 01)

soundcheck's comment and my +1 was to investigate a multichannel usb dac. It's a different project.

"Hi are you sure about using 10 kOhm in each leg of the primaries ? This is way too high. I used 1 kOhm (sounded like I used tone control) and was not satisfied and went to 470 Ohm which was an improvement.... "

I did not design the circuit I have here. I just built it on a designer supplied PCB. But you are correct about the resistors! They are 1k resistors and they work very well with the Lundahl LL-1690's. If you send me an IM I will send you a copy of the schematic but I will not post it here since it is not my design...

Mark

Last edited:
Hi, whether a DAC can work with a amp, that depend on the output level of the DAC, and the gain of the amp. Also, make sure the input impedance of amp is no less than the minimum resistance of DAC. The DA-X0 output up to about 3.4Vpp on coupled output or 6.8Vpp on balanced output. And CS4398 itself drives 1kohm min load.

DSD mode settings

Hi, we use the small switch board to set DSD over-sampled rate. State list bellow.

Attachments

• DSD table.PNG
    DSD table.PNG
    34.2 KB · Views: 537
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.