Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I want to replace the digital board of a Kora Hermes II dac (which uses a cs43122 dac chip) with a newer dac board, and I am considering this board. I want to retain the analog stage which is a ECC82 tube output stage, which I like very much, and gain some channel separation, which is basically the only complaint I have with the Kora hermes II dac, and maybe some detail. I have 2 questions:

1) does this DAC board accept 24/192 data from the coaxial input?

2) Is it practically difficult in this board to take the differential inputs directly, place a capacitor on each one (so four capacitors rather than two) and send those to the tube stage? I have a decent knowledge of theoretical electronics (I am a physicist) but my soldering skills are rather basic...

thanks,

Massimiliano

Hi, I can answer your questions:
1) WM8805 is used on board and it's hardware mode, so 24/96 is accepted.
2) There are pads (2.54mm pitch) near module, here is a photo to say. So it's easy to output differential signal.

Attachments

• output2.JPG
    output2.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,063
That's a pity, I know that there is no audible difference between 24/96 and 24/192, but the issue is that probably it won't always be possible to chose between the 2 formats, and I would prefer to be able to play 24/192 files also. There is no chance that you will offer a version with cs8416?

We have 24/192 board (like AD1853). BTW, compare to the cs8416, wm8805 has lower jitter.

Last edited:
ad1853 does not suit my needs...

Regarding jitter, i see always quoted that WM8805 has 50 ps jitter while CS8416 has 200. But, if you read the datasheets carefully, they are measured differently: for CS8416 it is RMS cycle-to-cycle jitter, while for WM8805 it is RMS intrinsic period jitter.

That is not the same thing: if you read this article

http://www.statek.com/products/pdf/TN-35%20Rev%20B.pdf

you see that at page 5 in equation 22 it is clearly stated that in identical conditions, with usual assumption of normal distribution, RMS cycle-to-cycle jitter is equal to RMS period jitter times the square root of 3.

So, the real ratio between wm8805 and cs8416 jitter is not 50:200, but more like 87:200, and since only one significant digit is used in the specs given by both manufacturers, this could very well be a 1:2 ratio, rather than 1:4.

This, just for precision :) Thank you for your answers, I'll search elsewhere

Massimiliano

Hello,
finally i got mine. It´s the last oft the version without the Upsampling. Got it up and running, sounds fine to me without any mods. There is more potential, no doubt about that, but it´s ok as it is. I do run a Gigawork 4398 with Transformers to, so i know what is possible with that chipset ;-) .

But : Ido have sinc Problems when i try to play files with 88.2/24. I use a HiFace and do not have Probs with 96khz. And i do not have Probs when i use a different DAC ...

So - anyone else with these Problems, or do i need to send it back to HiFimeDiY :( ?

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

BTW : Anyone already did a Modification with different caps ?

Hello audionootje,
ok, thanks a lot for your answer. So it is not a faulty device and i can go on with modding the DAC. I will connect the second outputs to a pair of transformers, i would also love to try a tube outputstage, but i´m not familiar with that. Anybody near Germany who could help me out by building a simple output stage ?

Thanks,

Michael

Tubo,

My version has upsampling and I am very pleased with it. I'm only using some good quality metalized film caps (sonicap) on the output and direct from there to my preamp. Very clean, clear, and dynamic with good bass. Very comparable to my more expensive (3X) Twisted Pear dac using the Wolfson chip.

PJN

I finished my build (upsampling = usb version). DAC > vol attenuator > power amp. Nothing has been done to the board yet. At first, the sound seemed harsh (esp in mid & treble), I suspect it was due to the Epcos cap need some break in. After few hours of running, it gets calmer. Plan to run it for few days non stop.

Next phase is to put aikido BCF behind it.

Hifimediy : any idea about releasing daughterboard with other DAC chip ?

Hey,
this thread is going to get some life again, fine.

I tried different things, i also connect the output 2 directly to my amps. Impressive.

@PJN : You use four Sonicaps to couple, direct on the Output 2 or instead of the 4 Caps on the board ?

@ i2k92 : Aikido BCF, maybe a good idea ? Where do you buy the board ? Have you ever tried it without the upsampling activated ? Maybe this is the " harsh " sound that irritates you ....
I personally don´t like upsampling all the time, i do think that it sounds undynamic and unrealistic in most of the times. Although it may sound impressive .....

Hey,
this thread is going to get some life again, fine.

I tried different things, i also connect the output 2 directly to my amps. Impressive.

@PJN : You use four Sonicaps to couple, direct on the Output 2 or instead of the 4 Caps on the board ?

@ i2k92 : Aikido BCF, maybe a good idea ? Where do you buy the board ? Have you ever tried it without the upsampling activated ? Maybe this is the " harsh " sound that irritates you ....
I personally don´t like upsampling all the time, i do think that it sounds undynamic and unrealistic in most of the times. Although it may sound impressive .....

What do you mean by output 2 ?

I suspect the harsh sound is due to the output caps. I was unlucky because the week after I ordered it, hifimediy ships the board with Mundorf.

Previously I have almost similar experience with hifimediy tripath amp. Either change it to better caps or wait some time until it breaks-in. I actually prefer to change it to some PIO K75 caps but I don't have any at this time.

There's a jumper on the board to disable the upsampling, but it is soldered and I don't want to make any changes before it's break-in. Let's see in about 1 week. PS: I tested it using coax input only.

You can read about BCF here : It's About Time&Ultra-Linear Line Stages
There's a link somewhere on that page about the PCB sale. The reason why I choose it because it's simple, I don't need gain and I can borrow some tubes from my friend for experiment. I'm one of those stupid people who thinks that to have a good sound we need tubes :)

Here's the photo of the stuffs (powered by 16$ r-core trafo):
2012-02-11110223.jpg

Last edited:
What do you mean by output 2 ?

--> there is someting on the board, in front of the 4398, named " output2 " ;-) .

I suspect the harsh sound is due to the output caps. I was unlucky because the week after I ordered it, hifimediy ships the board with Mundorf.

--> yes, mine is without the mundorfs too .

Previously I have almost similar experience with hifimediy tripath amp. Either change it to better caps or wait some time until it breaks-in. I actually prefer to change it to some PIO K75 caps but I don't have any at this time.

--> maybe i´ll go with obbligatos ...

There's a jumper on the board to disable the upsampling, but it is soldered and I don't want to make any changes before it's break-in. Let's see in about 1 week. PS: I tested it using coax input only.

You can read about BCF here : It's About Time&Ultra-Linear Line Stages
There's a link somewhere on that page about the PCB sale. The reason why I choose it because it's simple, I don't need gain and I can borrow some tubes from my friend for experiment. I'm one of those stupid people who thinks that to have a good sound we need tubes :)

--> thanks for the link !

The Obbligato alone sounds very " High End ". Lots of details and airy 3 D Soundstage. The Bass is ok. With the 1837 everything becomes more " Ground ". Warmer sounding but less detail and 3D ( as always ;-) . I like it more, it´s more musical to my ears. I will listen to it a few days, maybe I´m going to step up the level of my Tweeters in the end a bit, but that´s ok ...

I ordered a pair of the cheaper Obbligatos ( film oil ) to see what they will do. it´s fun to fiddle around with a solution that always sounds good in the end ;-) .

AND : Should i go the Lundahl ( 1517 ) or the Aikido Way ? Hmmmm ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.