Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, it is in stock now:

Hifimediy CS4398 DAC "direct out", TCXO oscillator

they write that there was a problem with the cs4398: it was burned by electrostatic discharge and they suggest now to put some diodes between the output caps and connectors.

So, I guess that this problem happens only if caps are used. If one would use a output transformer, or a buffer with a input shunt resistor, no problem would come? Is this correct?

Any experience (good or bad) ??

Just So....

Yes, it is in stock now:

Hifimediy CS4398 DAC "direct out", TCXO oscillator

they write that there was a problem with the cs4398: it was burned by electrostatic discharge and they suggest now to put some diodes between the output caps and connectors.

So, I guess that this problem happens only if caps are used. If one would use a output transformer, or a buffer with a input shunt resistor, no problem would come? Is this correct?

Any experience (good or bad) ??

Hi there all!

Mine Direct out Dac did just that - got burned and smelled badly:eek:. First try with only caps on output. Got it fixed and mounted some Sowthers on the balanced output: and now it has been playing beatiful music for 6 months - and is so clear and distinct with no signs of smoke anymore. So that fixed my problem.

Happy listening all.:D

Olav

Hi Nakamoomin....

Hi there ---

As an answer to your question I can say that I used the 3603 with 4 300ohms resistors from the balanced output. If you look back to post 250 and several posts around there - some of us did use somewhat equal configuration with the sowther transformators!

And I can send you some photos/layout for the balanced output(but there are some good descriptions around post 250 as well).

And if you are in this area (westcoast) in Norway -. you could both look and listen to my solution!

Best

Olav

Hi there ---

As an answer to your question I can say that I used the 3603 with 4 300ohms resistors from the balanced output. If you look back to post 250 and several posts around there - some of us did use somewhat equal configuration with the sowther transformators!

And I can send you some photos/layout for the balanced output(but there are some good descriptions around post 250 as well).

And if you are in this area (westcoast) in Norway -. you could both look and listen to my solution!

Best

Olav

Hi Olav!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've had an issue with my DAC as well, it outputs only through capacitors. I had a problem with intermittent loss of signal on the optical input, I needed to reheat the board connections to reflow the joints which fixed the problem. But after hooking it back in my system it plays ok, but the level of detail in the music seems to be noticeably less, seems to have lost resolution in the upper frequencies. Any ideas?

PJN

I've had this DAC operating as part of my home studio (infrequent use, but it is nice to have a good DAC in there) for 2 years, but moved it to the loungeroom and it wasn't functioning with SPDIF input ... hooked it up with USB to try the USB input & TE7022 drivers (which I have never used) and it started smoking. I suspect I just hit the same issue others have mentioned but much later :)

Well it was fun while it lasted!

Hi Zog,

I just replied to you over at SNA..
But yeah, this little unit was prone to having the CS4398 fried.. It's easy to replace with an iron, and the chips are cheap enough these days.. With care in the way that it is switched on and off (with reference to the other devices in the chain), I have been able to prevent it from being destroyed again..

Ta
CM

Sorry Zog :) Well just let me know. Looking at your blog post you have no buffering on the output? I was using it with 300 ohm resistors to a TVC, didn't get around to putting it in a box.

yes, no buffering at all on the output. I think I'd assembled mine and was happily using it and moved on to other projects and hadn't been following the threads much about the other reports of failed units :)

Attaching a picture of mine, uses a pair of Lundahl transformers. The DAC won't blow or fail when used with the transformers... They also provide some filtering and spec better than any analog stage will. Less phase shift also...

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 281
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.