Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used a set of Jensen JT-11-DMCF transformers. Not the cheapest but they work really well with CS4398. The Experience with this DIY DAC thread has a lot of discussion of various transformers from cheap to expensive for a CS4398 based DAC.

Thank you very much for the link. So far I like the sound of the DAC very much and hope to maximize its performance.

My Dac arrived.....

Hi all!

Today my sweet little NewDac came in the post - thanks to HiFiDIY for perfect boards - and I look forward to listen to Hi-Res files on this Less-is-More kind of doing digital sound. Just now I am listening to Christe Winn on 24/96 Wav files on my old DacMagic(with OpAmps and filters). My B1-Pre has only 2 transistors and my SITLamp has ONLY 1 transistor(Sony 2SK82).:) Think it will be even more musical with this sc4398dac(hope so).
But first I have to go 14 days offshore to my telecom-schedule. Have to wait till beginning of october for to get it singing.:(

Best to all

I've tested for a few hours... State Of Art Sound, streamed from my HDSP@LinuxBOX! ...This DAC is real love, thanks a lot!!! :)

Attachments

• Foto1633.jpg
    Foto1633.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 611
  • Foto1639.jpg
    Foto1639.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 586
  • Foto1643.jpg
    Foto1643.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 577
  • Foto1647.jpg
    Foto1647.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 570
Hi Puredyne...

I've tested for a few hours... State Of Art Sound, streamed from my HDSP@LinuxBOX! ...This DAC is real love, thanks a lot!!! :)

Thanks for your report - I wonder if you have tried the DAC with oversampling,:confused: since as your photo shows you are running Non-Oversampling for the moment. And if you could say what you prefer of the 2 possibilities?

Best

Olav

Thanks,, that sounds easy enough!

As I plan my enclosure, I intend to mount 4 RCA's on the back, 2 for "coupled" and 2 for "direct out".. That way I can easily choose, depending on which pre/power amp I want to use :)

Is it ok to leave Zero volts (GND) floating?? Or must it be tied to Chasis-Earth??

Thanks
CM

The GND of RCA is better to be floating to chassis-earth but connected to GND on board, and choose a ground point on board connect directly to chassis.

I tried only with a single-ended tube amplifier & full range monitors ... these OCC wired transformers add to the detail an unexpected musicality... I'm really satisfied with the grade of enjoyment achieved with this DAC !!! :) ....in the future I'll take one more DAC Board to test and compare the valve output stages. My dear friend Uwe, a German engineer who designed other good converters very transparent and natural around the Cirrus Flagship... advised me how to connect the Sowter 3603:

Primary (1&2) four R301 from the CS4398.

XLR:
Trafo 5 open,
Trafo 4 & 6 to XLR 2 & 3,
Trafo 2 to XLR1 & to Case GND.

RCA:
Trafo 5 open,
Trafo 4 to RCA Signal,
Trafo 2 & 6 togather to RCA GND & Case GND.

Last edited:
The GND of RCA is better to be floating to chassis-earth but connected to GND on board, and choose a ground point on board connect directly to chassis.

Thanks!

Yes, I meant to say if the "power supply" GND (Zero Volts) needed to be connected to Chasiss-Earth, not the RCA GND (shield)..

What about those on here I have seen using plastic cases?? What do they do??

Ta
CM

How to do ???

Primary (1&2) four R301 from the CS4398.

XLR:
Trafo 5 open,
Trafo 4 & 6 to XLR 2 & 3,
Trafo 2 to XLR1 & to Case GND.

RCA:
Trafo 5 open,
Trafo 4 to RCA Signal,
Trafo 2 & 6 togather to RCA GND & Case GND.

Hi Puredune!

You didn`t use the balanced output?

As I read your scheme, you have 4 pc 301 ohms resistors on both the + and the - lines. Then you have trafo 5 open, and 2 and 6 together connected to RCA-ground. And 4 goes to RCA-signal(pluss).
But then you must take the signal out before the 2,2 uf capacitors - and route that same signal to the transformer?
Have I got it right - and must I use 301 ohms resistors if I use the J3-output(balanced).
Seems like there are many different combinations for how to couple the transformer. I want to try it later - but with a passive B1 and a 8watt SIT(selfmade) - I want to use the extra gain from the balanced output.
And HiFiMediy had a drawing earlier that was simple AND without resistors?:confused:

Anybody who can explain just a little - for a new dacbuilder with no transformer-knowledge?

Best

Olav

Now I see....

Hi all and sorry for misunderstandings on my part.

After reading some other postings it suddenly flashed a light!! One will use the direct out with - Ve+ (right channel) and AGND(right channel) - then Ve+(left channel and AGND(left channel). Connect + to 1 and AGND to 3. For both channel! And the rest is like Puredune used for his Sowther 3603!
The only question that remains for this newborn Transformer;) man is: Can I use my 1kohm Takman metalfilm(I have 4) as primary load? And will it be serial or paralell?

Grateful for answer - anybody?

Best
Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.