Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
please help! my dac will not power up and the dac heats up very hot....the led that indicates lock does not light up.....im still getting 5 volts from the regulator. i bypassed all the electrolytics on the main board and was still playing music then i put in a tube output stage then suddenly the dac will not light up...

please help.....thnks

Hi, tubo.
"dac heats up very hot", Please check both the analog and digital power supply(5V and 3.3V). Test point shows below:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 836
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
please help! my dac will not power up and the dac heats up very hot....the led that indicates lock does not light up.....im still getting 5 volts from the regulator. i bypassed all the electrolytics on the main board and was still playing music then i put in a tube output stage then suddenly the dac will not light up...

please help.....thnks

Adding unnecessary components with high voltages in DACs (that have 2 V outputs) involves some risks... Better keep it passive with output transformers. Way less risk. CS4398 likes transformers a lot.

Last edited:
would you be interested in making a 3 spdif input dac + 3 best jitter remover reclocker + 3 CS4398 dac chip but one clock and one very good power source. I don't know how much one could save versus 3 of your CS4398 dacs

it's for crossover utility after the new nanoDIGI 2x8K | miniDSP

does not output adat so i'm stuck and cannot use my emu1820m but at the same time i find the cost of 3 hifimediy to be a little to much... also i wonder how 3 different clock and power would affect the sound once merged in the 3way 3amped speakers..

Adding unnecessary components with high voltages in DACs (that have 2 V outputs) involves some risks... Better keep it passive with output transformers. Way less risk. CS4398 likes transformers a lot.

What transformers do you recommend? I've seen folks use edcors and they are economical,I'd like to get something affordable and good. By the way the dac is now up and running,i was able to get a replacement dac board. It sounds pretty good with the 6336a tube stage.

DSD Capable DAC

Right~
I think no problem to use other SRC chips. And there might be a DSD input and up to 8 S/PDIF inputs. so a added optical port is placed because there is still some room.

Yubing

Stop the press!, Do you know if your DSD input in the new dac board will be compatible with the exD usb input board exD-3 dsd.

exD: new dsd dac module

I am very interested in experiment with DSD files with a native DAC instead of software PCM conversion.

P.D.: I am apologize for my not so good enlish language.

This is a great idea. I just bult up a CS 4398 DAC that uses a pair of LL-1690 Lundal transformers. No need to couple the trannys with a cap, just go through pairs of 10K film resistors to the primary of the transformer. The CS-4398 is fully able to directly drive the transformers directly. Also, I would say it's the best DAC I've ever listened to... and by a long shot. You'd have to spend 3 to 4K to get this prformance. Don't waste your time with active stages... you will never come close to this performance. You could also use a similar Jensen Transformer or what ever brand transformer you can get your hands on. In this case it's cost vs. performance... The best part is it is easily upgradable any time you want to.

Mark

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This is a great idea. I just bult up a CS 4398 DAC that uses a pair of LL-1690 Lundal transformers. No need to couple the trannys with a cap, just go through pairs of 10K film resistors to the primary of the transformer. The CS4398 is fully able to directly drive the transformers directly. Also, I would say it's the best DAC I've ever listened to... and by a long shot. You'd have to spend 3 to 4K to get this performance. Don't waste your time with active stages... you will never come close to this performance. You could also use a similar Jensen Transformer or what ever brand transformer you can get your hands on. In this case it's cost vs. performance... The best part is it is easily upgradable any time you want to.

Mark

Hi are you sure about using 10 kOhm in each leg of the primaries ? This is way too high. I used 1 kOhm (sounded like I used tone control) and was not satisfied and went to 470 Ohm which was an improvement.... I wanted to be sure the transformers survive power up DC current and the lower the value the better. If still had it I would even go to 100 Ohm just to protect the transformers from power up DC. They have no other purpose and the CS4398 is able to drive them directly. Too bad the chips I use now are not able to do so.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.