diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/)
-   -   Differential output DACs, can I use only one output. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/190994-differential-output-dacs-can-i-use-only-one-output.html)

oon_the_kid 17th June 2011 01:45 AM

Differential output DACs, can I use only one output.

I have a AD1853 DAC differential output current DAC. Can I check if it is okay to use only one of the current output instead of both the outputs as a single ended output DAC?:confused:

Thanks.

Oon

esangenisd 18th June 2011 05:32 AM

I use only one ouput i+ r+ to a resistor to a srpp and is playing music really nice. The bad thing is that i only get 2 miliamps at output and not 4 ma in differential.

abraxalito 18th June 2011 05:57 AM

That's an interesting point yeah. It makes me wonder if we couldn't use the other channel in an interesting way to get back to the 4mA again. Just thinking aloud here, don't know if this will work but have you heard of mid-side format for stereo?

qusp 20th June 2011 05:29 PM

wouldnt you just use some form of instrumentation amp to get SE output using all of the DNR?

ThorstenL 20th June 2011 07:05 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by oon_the_kid (Post 2608740)
I have a AD1853 DAC differential output current DAC. Can I check if it is okay to use only one of the current output instead of both the outputs as a single ended output DAC?:confused:

Yes, you can, one caveat, make sure you load both outputs equally, also, you may have to return the I/V resistor to Vref, not ground to make sure the DAC works correctly.

Ciao T

oon_the_kid 21st June 2011 04:13 PM

What do you mean load the output equally? How would you do that?

Oon

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

ThorstenL 21st June 2011 05:08 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by oon_the_kid (Post 2614116)
What do you mean load the output equally? How would you do that?

Sorry, I spoke out of turn, never mind.

Ciao T

oon_the_kid 25th June 2011 05:09 PM

Huh, what do you mean spoke out of turn? Not sure what you mean by that, but an apology is definitely not needed. How did you say I should load them equally?

Oon

TV Man 25th June 2011 09:10 PM

oon,
I believe what Thorsten meant was to make sure to use the same impednace on both the + and - outputs of your DAC chip. If you're taking signal from the + line and it's loaded with 3k ohms for example also put 3k ohms across the - output even if you don't take any signal from there. The DAC chip will work best with equal resistance on both output phases.

oon_the_kid 28th June 2011 11:13 AM

Ok, that makes sense, so if I use it on a normal op amp based I/V stage with a voltage at 2.5V, I would then connect the other ouput differential to a 2.5V source as well... correct...?

Oon