why audiophiles hate equalizers ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2011, 02:28 PM   #11
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpoke View Post
Yeah, my old reference recordings with all those low quality gain stages introducing noise and phase shift drive me freakin' crazy.
If that is a poke aimed at me mate you can shove it!

It was a genuine question with a genuine answer. If you think your system is better for adding eq thats fine, its your ears you are listening with.

There is a world of difference between studio EQ and post production living room EQ. I'll keep my opinion to myself!
Old 14th June 2011, 02:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Oww, touchy.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:36 PM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Do I sense a little touch of hostility? Was it something I said? Did I mention analogue vs. digital? Methinks I have accidentally provoked a digital fanboy.

You may enjoy living in a world where everything can be (digitally) adjusted to suit your tastes. I prefer to enjoy the world as it is. Maybe its an age thing.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:36 PM   #14
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
why audiophiles hate equalizers when all the systems i tryed sound better with equalization ?
The ones that hate it are pendantic types that have too much uncontrolled imagination and a warp idea about audio. They are a small, small, small minority.

You can either choose to ignore their illogical state of mind and choose to accept audio science, thousands of published papers on audio reproduction from the likes of Toole, etc

-or-

you can follow the very, very small percentage that really believe in "golden ear" babble about exotic cables, analog/non-EQed, Everything else sucks but vinyl types. That hover on only this type of board because its hard to find like individuals with only 1000 of them exist in the world

Im not interested in opinions from those that do not even have custom rooms either. I see the pictures from some and I see hard walls, hard floors, small apartment like rooms. It looks like they spent more on Audio equipment then they did their own living space (that speaks volumes to me about their logic and madness and they should not be trusted or followed).

Look at the best rooms out there and they have the best designed rooms, best treatments and proper processing in place for the right curves based on individual requirements.

If you really want the best you need to follow what the best have
Old 14th June 2011, 02:40 PM   #15
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The reality is that there's a lot of music I like where there's a consistent bunging up of the sound. The musicians are not the recording or mastering engineers, and are usually not the producers. If turning a knob can make a lovely piece of music sound less screechy and allow me to enjoy it more, why not? Should we eliminate volume controls because the musician/engineer/producer ought to decide how loud a song must be played in my living room to ensure that their "artistic vision" is intact?

As with anything else, tone controls can be implemented well or poorly. The idea that they automatically cause veiling or reduced openness or whatever is just not true.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Digital EQ or golden ears - the only two options. Do I sense a false dichotomy here? No, surely not, because a false dichotomy is normally used to bolster a threadbare argument.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Do I sense a little touch of hostility? Was it something I said? Did I mention analogue vs. digital? Methinks I have accidentally provoked a digital fanboy.

You may enjoy living in a world where everything can be (digitally) adjusted to suit your tastes. I prefer to enjoy the world as it is. Maybe its an age thing.
Yes, absolutely touchy!!!

Everytime this question comes up, posts about quality of systems. etc. (its funny because I click on links, see rooms and I think, not much money there!!) People who EQ want "Boom, Boom" and so on trying to paint EQing as bad...blah!!

Im not sure about age but maybe 60 year old men should stop posting opinion online if they are too slow to understand what technology does these days, Im 42 and still taking all new technology they can throw at me. (yes touchy again on the age thing, none of us are young) The one guy posted it changes phase A product DEQX would disagree with him!!!

Audio science has proven over and over why EQing can be a great requirement. Do you have any science behind how a bad room can be a good thing?? Or how everyone has the same ELC??

ALL systems have EQing no matter what someone's opinion says. ALL Speaker designs are EQed to have a certain response either through passive XOs or active XOs. Those saying they have no EQ involved with their setup are just fooling themselves. I prefer 100% active designs so I have 100% control over my system.

Now 100% its fine for you to choose what you want but when someone else is trying to learn something is it not better to explain the science behind it instead of posting anecdotal "I Love my analog, everything else must suck" type posts??

Last edited by doug20; 14th June 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The reality is that there's a lot of music I like where there's a consistent bunging up of the sound. The musicians are not the recording or mastering engineers, and are usually not the producers. If turning a knob can make a lovely piece of music sound less screechy and allow me to enjoy it more, why not? Should we eliminate volume controls because the musician/engineer/producer ought to decide how loud a song must be played in my living room to ensure that their "artistic vision" is intact?

As with anything else, tone controls can be implemented well or poorly. The idea that they automatically cause veiling or reduced openness or whatever is just not true.
As always the voice of reason and common sense.

People should have controls in place to alter any content they may sound bad to them. To argue that content is just a piece of ART and should be left untouched is the most uneducated opinion someone can have about audio.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY
If turning a knob can make a lovely piece of music sound less screechy and allow me to enjoy it more, why not?
I can't argue with that. I have a few recordings where the final mix may have been done by someone with HF hearing loss. I have nothing against tone controls, although my current system lacks them.

Maybe its my age, but to me equalisers mean cheap 1970's mid-fi with tiny awful speakers or boy racers with 1kW amps and blue LEDs all over their vehicles listening to drum'n'bass at road junctions.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The real question for me....Why does anyone ever care what an audiophile thinks in the first place? Their obssession tends to mislead them too much and new audio hobbiests never get a fair understanding of audio science if they follow audiophiles to early.

Hide this!Advertise here!