Are there also drivers for USB DACs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used the M-Audio Transit USB dac with ASIO and it has proprietary drivers - in fact it will not work without them. (Since the actual end device firmware was loaded after it enumerated) I don't remember the amount of latency, but I was running it with a pretty low powered laptop, and it was significant.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Try to look for a USB dac that has native ASIO support at the driver level. You can also sometimes use ASIO4ALL to provide most of the functionality of ASIO, but at some point it has to be converted to a protocol the particular dac and/or OS kernel supports.

This may be much less of an issue with newer versions of Windows and with Linux.. (ASIO IIRC was a work around for various windows xp kernel issues where latency and unwanted sample rate conversion, the kmixer, etc.. were issues.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.