Electroplating TDA1541A S2 Pins - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Electroplating TDA1541A S2 Pins

Hi:

I finally got a TDA1541A S2. However, the pins are tarnished. Close examination of the pins revealed that previous owner must have scratched cleans (sandpaper?) the pins as the plating is gone.

Thus, here is the question. How can I protect pins from tarnish? Can I electroplate the pins? Will electroplating destroys the chip due to "electro" part of plating?

Regards
Old 7th June 2011, 03:58 PM   #2
ide2003 is offline ide2003  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I do think it can be done, I did sent parts to my chrome plating friend, but never the dac chip ha ha. The chip will be dipped in acid solution, warm water, then maybe in copper plating bath, after that it goes to nickel-chrome bath. all pins must be connected to anode - or cathode ?

I don't know the exact bath temperature, the TDA marking can be gone forever if not masked well, may be gold plating is best

regards
TeguhPS
Old 7th June 2011, 08:23 PM   #3
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Maybe just solder some tin on the pins. Otherwise you might use a chemical tin plating. Seno Glanzzinn would be an example available in europe. Another solution would be clear nailpolish after installation.

cleaning would be requiered in all solutions of course.

regards,
Joris
Old 8th June 2011, 03:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi:

Does anyone know what material the pins of these chips are made of?

I know the pins are non-magnetic. Could be aluminium or steel. Steel does not tarnish that soon but aluminium start tarnishing the moment air touches it and aluminium oxide is an electrical insulator. Thus it has to be dealt!

I know for small items a brush/pen plating is used. Thus TDA marking will be saved.

But will the pins be able to handle the process of becoming cathode at 4-6v? Whereas the plating will be anode.

Secondly I'll be using a DIL IC Socket. The inner side of pins still has factory coating, only the outer sides of pins are scratched and thus having tarnish. Thus inner side are still conducting as they should be. Should I worry about performance in this case?

Regards
Old 8th June 2011, 03:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you using a good dip socket with machined pins or the cheapie "spring" type? If the former, I wouldn't think you have a concern. Just buff the pins shiny before you install.
Old 8th June 2011, 04:24 PM   #6
ide2003 is offline ide2003  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

pins are copper, that's why they tarnish. I did sand them for re tinning (WBT solder) and please don't use cheap spring IC sockets..
Old 8th June 2011, 05:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi:

sofaspud, Yes! I am using dip socket with machined pins which is so strong that I really have to PULL and PUSH chip in that. I understand that you are counting on the friction and tightness of the socket, didn't thought about it earlier. I did buff the pins but they remained dull shiny even after tarnish removal. Dull shiny just as matte finish and not gloss shiny as lead contained solder joint.

ide2003, are you sure the pins are copper as even after tarnish removal the color is silver. So you suggest I just tin them with silver contained solder?

Regards
Old 8th June 2011, 05:20 PM   #8
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hifi View Post
examination of the pins revealed that previous owner must have scratched cleans (sandpaper?) the pins as the plating is gone.
Sandpaper.... Are you shure it's real and not a totally different chip where somebody sandpapered off the markings to stamp some new ones on? Sounds a bit fishy.
Old 9th June 2011, 05:37 AM   #9
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

hes talking about the pins
Old 9th June 2011, 09:49 PM   #10
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

i know. But maybe they've sandblasted the thing...
worth to check before spending (more) money.

Hide this!Advertise here!