Electroplating TDA1541A S2 Pins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:

I finally got a TDA1541A S2. However, the pins are tarnished. Close examination of the pins revealed that previous owner must have scratched cleans (sandpaper?) the pins as the plating is gone.

Thus, here is the question. How can I protect pins from tarnish? Can I electroplate the pins? Will electroplating destroys the chip due to "electro" part of plating?

Regards

I do think it can be done, I did sent parts to my chrome plating friend, but never the dac chip ha ha. The chip will be dipped in acid solution, warm water, then maybe in copper plating bath, after that it goes to nickel-chrome bath. all pins must be connected to anode - or cathode ?

I don't know the exact bath temperature, the TDA marking can be gone forever if not masked well, may be gold plating is best :)

regards
TeguhPS

Hi,

Maybe just solder some tin on the pins. Otherwise you might use a chemical tin plating. Seno Glanzzinn would be an example available in europe. Another solution would be clear nailpolish after installation.

cleaning would be requiered in all solutions of course.

regards,
Joris

Hi:

Does anyone know what material the pins of these chips are made of?

I know the pins are non-magnetic. Could be aluminium or steel. Steel does not tarnish that soon but aluminium start tarnishing the moment air touches it and aluminium oxide is an electrical insulator. Thus it has to be dealt!

I know for small items a brush/pen plating is used. Thus TDA marking will be saved.

But will the pins be able to handle the process of becoming cathode at 4-6v? Whereas the plating will be anode.

Secondly I'll be using a DIL IC Socket. The inner side of pins still has factory coating, only the outer sides of pins are scratched and thus having tarnish. Thus inner side are still conducting as they should be. Should I worry about performance in this case?

Regards

Hi:

sofaspud, Yes! I am using dip socket with machined pins which is so strong that I really have to PULL and PUSH chip in that. I understand that you are counting on the friction and tightness of the socket, didn't thought about it earlier. I did buff the pins but they remained dull shiny even after tarnish removal. Dull shiny just as matte finish and not gloss shiny as lead contained solder joint.

ide2003, are you sure the pins are copper as even after tarnish removal the color is silver. So you suggest I just tin them with silver contained solder?

Regards

...ide2003, are you sure the pins are copper as even after tarnish removal the color is silver. So you suggest I just tin them with silver contained solder?

now you've ask I'm not sure either now :), just sanding some more pins, tda1541A red copper, same batch as the one in my diy dac
tda1541 (non A), yellowish, must be brass (which of course contains copper)
tda1541A-s1, same, brass

either ways, they are really WBT solder friendly

regards
TeguhPS

Attachments

• tda1541 pins.jpg
    tda1541 pins.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.