budget USB DAC amp, which?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kit preferred, like to have one RCA input (ipod). Options which are not necessary but want to look into are. Source is flac file from my PC.

1. built in headphone amp.
2. subwoofer output.

I can use my t-amp if amp if not part of the kit to drive my fullrange.

Can someone suggest a device?

gychang

yes, but an rca input means it must also have a line stage and ADC, or a preamp input that bypasses the digital stages. its an unusual request and i think it will be hard to find in anything but commercial gear, like some soundcards will have all that you want except the power amp.

which basic DAC kit?

yes, but an rca input means it must also have a line stage and ADC, or a preamp input that bypasses the digital stages. its an unusual request and i think it will be hard to find in anything but commercial gear, like some soundcards will have all that you want except the power amp.

I understand now, it sort of defeats the purpose of DAC... having analog input. Is there a basic DAC kit that I can connect to my PC (flac) and my modified t-amp that folks recommend?

gychang

gychang,

hifimediy USB DAC is basic, cheap and sounds good if you can figure out a chassis/box for it. Tends to the soft side. runs off USB power. Hifimediy|Hifimediy UAC27 mini USB DAC, PCM2706/WM8501, USB>S/PDIF converter

PopPulse SuperPro USB DAC is oversampling, already boxed, needs a 12v supply(included) and tends to detailed/bright. Home Audio :: Digital to Analog Converters :: Pop Pulse Compact SUPER DAC 707U W/ New PS - ALO Audio

Add a DPDT switch and RCAs or 3.5mm jack to your T-amp for additional input...

headphone amp? C-moy?

gychang,

I have a Hlly DMK IV preamp/DAC which includes optical, coax and USB DAC inputs as well as one analog input. It handles source selection, volume, balance and comes with a remote control, but it is not a kit...comes fully assembled. Not sure where your line for budget ends, but I got it on eBay for $291 with shipping. I have been very satisfied with the performance of this device.

gychang,

I have a Hlly DMK IV preamp/DAC which includes optical, coax and USB DAC inputs as well as one analog input. It handles source selection, volume, balance and comes with a remote control, but it is not a kit...comes fully assembled. Not sure where your line for budget ends, but I got it on eBay for $291 with shipping. I have been very satisfied with the performance of this device.

thanks for input, am a diy guy...

09 NEW VERSION ZERO DAC HEAD AMP.

The Zero has no analogue input, a terrible quality volume control (you have to replace it if its used with my headphones or if I used it as a preamp), and the head amplifier has too much gain for me.

The zero does have a good dac (More expensive than the now no longer available model 35 Euro model I had from a Elector electronics distributor) but both are better than DIR9001 PCM1793 OPA2134 Coax/Optical DAC , why don't you go for second hand separates and a modern DAC. I expect DAC's will keep getting better when chip makers can be bothered, such as to support 192Khz (the two that support this sample rate, sound better at lower it rates to me)

Attachments

• UAC27.jpg
    UAC27.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.