DIY ADC around?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
did anyone try and build a DIY analogue-to-digital converter that surpassed at least entry level and mid-priced solutions in soundcards or external studio gear?
I have the faint feeling that one might do better than that what's in my RME ADI-2. I have, however, rarely seen DIY-efforts in this area.

Rüdiger

PCM4222EVM.

The appnote contains schematics and BOM for this, so you could DIY it. However its not a trivial exercise if you have no experience with low noise digital circuits. The typical ADC performance exceeds the specs that SoNic has quoted (123dBA dynamic range for example, THD+N -108dB). If you're really serious about performance you can do better still by designing your own digital filter rather than using theirs. :D

yes, the typical adc listed spec does, but typical real world performance may not be that easy. possible, but better to just improve the analogue section of what he has already imo, because adc real world performance will depend heavily on the quality of the mic-pre and analogue input section. then you also have the interface, software driver etc. the rme is renowned for driver stability, rugged build and as a bonus you can use it standalone

Last edited:
Exactly. The specs are someting, implementation is where the truth is.
He might improve the input stage using better components, but that's it.
PS: Another product that has better ADC performance (for less money) is EMU1616:
Analog Line Inputs
Type: servo-balanced, DC-coupled, low-noise input circuitry
A/D converter: AK5394A
Level (software selectable):
- Professional: +4dBu nominal, 20dBu max (balanced)
- Consumer: -10dBV nominal, 6dBV max (unbalanced)
Frequency Response (20Hz-20kHz): +0.0/-.03dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 120dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 120dB
THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -110dB (.0003%)
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS): < -120dB Analog Line Outputs

I just started a project dubbed the OpenNGADC, or Open Next-Gen Analog to Digital Converter.
The basic idea is to create an open source pcb around the Arda AT-1201, which spec wise betters any commercial ADC out there, or course this is yet to be heard. I am not one for numbers, but I do want to push the capability of the open diy audio community.

It offers DXD output as well as 256fs (12.288Mhz) Delta-Sigma, 1 or 6-bit. And a better DNR than pretty much any part out there, feel it's worth a shot, even if I can't find a single report online as to how it sounds.

Currently working on the gerber files, I want to develop this as a community project, just have to find someone willing to help.

The name was chosen just to have something unique, could do better, but there are more important things than a name.

-Alex

I'm leaning towards the audio-widget to get rid of the pci-bus and be able to use a modern nano or pico board as a pc and add a decent ADC to it.

All I need would be a decent ADC that fits into that concept. If possible.

alexcount, what kind of help are you looking for?

My concerns with my existing computer sound are as follows:

For file playback, it sounds wee better than the CD players I had. With the very same ripped CD's.

But, if I loop an analog signal through it all, a certain loss of quality is perceivable. It is high quality overall, but still...

This happens with my reel-2-reel and LP playback through top phonostages.

On the other hand, processing riaa in software sounds better overall than my pure analog audio chain. So, if I could sort out that quality loss mentioned, I'd be in audio nirvana....

Rüdiger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.