XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

@ yammy1688: Most likely so but that damn part is hard to remove not to mention to solder a new one in place. That's because it does have a thermal pad under it which is directly connected to the GND internal layers... so most of the heat from your air gun will spread out to those copper layers through vias. If you'll give to too much temperature then you can risk damaging the new part!
Yeah... :cool:

There's a second option to try it out: check an USB adapter like this one which can be hooked to J1 pin header! Then change ONLY the J8 jumper to "EXT" position! This way you'll route the USB data path from local USB connector to remote one connected to J1. If that USB multiplexer chip is not 100% dead then you may continue using your WaveIO though that external adapter!
The other choice would be to send back your card here for repairs! I would not suggest to try it there unless you really know what you're doing! I've spent a lot of time and burned a lot of those parts until I found the proper heat temp to replace them safely! Obviously, what I'm saying are only suggestions but you can proceed whatever you'll fit best for your needs!

Hi Lorien, I'm gonna send it in. I contacted you via the web page. Thanks!

@ yammy1688: Most likely so but that damn part is hard to remove not to mention to solder a new one in place. That's because it does have a thermal pad under it which is directly connected to the GND internal layers... so most of the heat from your air gun will spread out to those copper layers through vias. If you'll give to too much temperature then you can risk damaging the new part!
Yeah... :cool:

There's a second option to try it out: check an USB adapter like this one which can be hooked to J1 pin header! Then change ONLY the J8 jumper to "EXT" position! This way you'll route the USB data path from local USB connector to remote one connected to J1. If that USB multiplexer chip is not 100% dead then you may continue using your WaveIO though that external adapter!
The other choice would be to send back your card here for repairs! I would not suggest to try it there unless you really know what you're doing! I've spent a lot of time and burned a lot of those parts until I found the proper heat temp to replace them safely! Obviously, what I'm saying are only suggestions but you can proceed whatever you'll fit best for your needs!

@ brother love: :)
I'm assuming the "DIYINHK v3.34 driver" is available, why won't you ask him? Or, better ask Gustard for drivers... wouldn't this be a better choice? But hey, I know drivers can be hacked! So many do this for a couple of years so I cannot blame you.. stealing from others is a way of living now :D
Back to the WaveIO, to all interested, yesterday I got a fresh driver version from Thesycon: v4.14. It's not even listed on their site at this moment but I guess working hard and avoid stealing pays off!
I'm stil having to customize it and build up the archive but if there's anyone interested to have a copy just let me know!

Ah, and for those really interested in having it, you do need to be one of my customer or have one of my boards to get it!
EDIT: at least, this is what I'm asking against my free driver updating service!

Kind regards,
Lucian

Good afternoon.
I have been a user of the WaveIO board for several years. Periodically looked into this thread and updated the driver. And as you can see from the above, the author was very proud of his free support (driver update). But today I got an answer from him where he is asking for 10 euros for the prediction of a new driver for Vawei. Well ... the cases are different. I can only wish Lorien success and will use the old drivers.

@ Surgut2006: the long story short is that things are different now! Starting with this year, some license deals and 'business opportunities' have severely changed in our disadvantage.
You all know that for a period of seven years (2017 included - because I sourced free driver support in this year too!) I offered free driver updates to anyone wishing to have a copy without getting nothing in return. On my side, those drivers were not get for free. Until 2016 things were still... easier for me while the charges for having updated drivers were somehow... bearable, starting from 2016, when Thesycon, basically, saw with their own eyes how their native/ not customized driver pack was hacked by the chinese copycats, and here I'm clearly speaking about diyinhk guy - from whom all this thing have started -, they severely changed both the driver itself and license deals to get it.

As for me, sells are not as it used to be to afford spending the amount of money Thesycon want for each new driver release so I had to choose between leaving all aside and do anything else than electronics... and here I'm sure there are plenty who barely wait for this to happen OR charge a fee for access to the new driver release just to cover some of my expenses to get them.
Obviously I chose the second path!

This is not a post motivating myself why I'm doing this! I thought about it for a long time and I'm sure is the right decision. Instead this is something I wrote for anyone who's reading it to understand that things have severely changed, things that are far beyond my control.... and I can only be agree with or do anything else than electronics.
I'm sorry for all this trouble but we all shall thank to the copycats around the world who are stealing from others doing irreversible damage along the way.

Kind regards,
L

@ Surgut2006: the long story short is that things are different now! Starting with this year, some license deals and 'business opportunities' have severely changed in our disadvantage.
You all know that for a period of seven years (2017 included - because I sourced free driver support in this year too!) I offered free driver updates to anyone wishing to have a copy without getting nothing in return. On my side, those drivers were not get for free. Until 2016 things were still... easier for me while the charges for having updated drivers were somehow... bearable, starting from 2016, when Thesycon, basically, saw with their own eyes how their native/ not customized driver pack was hacked by the chinese copycats, and here I'm clearly speaking about diyinhk guy - from whom all this thing have started -, they severely changed both the driver itself and license deals to get it.

As for me, sells are not as it used to be to afford spending the amount of money Thesycon want for each new driver release so I had to choose between leaving all aside and do anything else than electronics... and here I'm sure there are plenty who barely wait for this to happen OR charge a fee for access to the new driver release just to cover some of my expenses to get them.

This is not a post motivating myself why I'm doing this! I thought about it for a long time and I'm sure is the right decision. Instead this is something I wrote for anyone who's reading it to understand that things have severely changed, things that are far beyond my control.... and I can only be agree with or do anything else than electronics.
I'm sorry for all this trouble but we all shall thank to the copycats around the world who are stealing from others doing irreversible damage along the way.

Kind regards,
L

Hi Lorien

I think most of us will understand that and are gratefull for your support. Thank you !
BR
Jean-Louis

Kind regards,
L

As you probably know, Windows 10 now includes a native UAC2 driver so it's only a matter of time before Thesycon's driver is rendered obsolete, at least for anyone not needing multichannel or ASIO support.

Plus, XMOS is providing (for free) a fully licensed Thesycon driver to any company that buys from them at least 150 chips, so that might be an option. 150 chips are not exactly pocket change, but if you were to do a rev.2 of the WaveIO with the newer (and definitely better) xCORE chips you could probably find use for such a number of chips.

Thank you for advices, I'll consider them at the proper time!:)

I want to add a couple of things to what you said: the deal with 150 chips and free driver service from XMOS is dead. I don't know exactly since I didn't ask, but based on latest 'developments' on the licensing fields, I really doubt is still alive!

Why? The 150 chips deal is obsolete now (in fact are not 150 chips but 160 to 250 - depending on the type of IC you're buying!). It was the starting point in the cooperation between Thesycon and XMOS back in 2010 era. From its beginning, myself was one of the (few?) DIYers taking advantage of this deal since I bought several batches of XMOS processors over time. Those processors bundled with the Thesycon driver were from the XS1-L family and had the "-THS" extension at the end of their part numbering scheme. Those chips are... "mature" :) compared to latest xCORE-200 silicon products or even U8 chips form XMOS.
Recently I had to change my license agreement with Thesycon despite the fact that I was a customer who bought batches of XMOS chips with -THS extension making me a rightful "owner" of that 150 chip deal.
That's why I say that I have my doubts if that old deal is still alive... I know because i was a part of it!

Moreover, the -THS extension you'll find on OLD chips from XMOS. Check Digikey for that info! The new ones, does not have such a offer, except, maybe the rebranded chips: the XS1-L has transformed into a different serial number which I can't remember now but inside is the same chip. Those ICs are old too.

As for native Windows driver, I really doubt Thesycon will become obsolete! I'm a Windows 'victim' for far too many years to see with my own eyes that their Windows software (and all related) is far from perfect! On the other hand, I do NOT say that Thesycon's offer is "bug-less" but I saw in all these years that is quite a stable product! Not to mention their flawless support which cannot be compared to what Microsoft is offering these days!

One more thing: here's the side by side comparison between XMOS driver and that one made my Thesycon which I have now (please note that my link is tied directly to XMOS web site).

In the end I might be wrong with some of my above statements! I don't say I know the truth... but I know and I'll always remember my experience in this field...

L

Last edited:
Hi Lorien,
This is a loooong threat and I just read here and there. So excuse me if I repeat old questions....
I am interested in one Stereo WaveIO board for a dam1121 DAC
Is there any new HW in the pipe, or just the "normal" IO pcb?
Is this manual still the actual one?
I do understand with external Power the USB side need 500mA@5V. Is this still the case (PCM24/384; DSD256)?
And on the isolated side? Is it 3,3 or 5V or 3,5 up to 5V? And whats about the current / mA?
And the driver situation? Are they still free for your customers? Or will it end for the foreseeable future? If so do you have a quotation?
What are the shipping costs to Germany?

Thanks

@ fred sonnen: Sorry for my late reply! Below are my answers:
1. There are always new HW in plans but is taking a long time to develop them. Anyway, no new plans with actual WaveIO hardware as I'm focused on solving some issues with another project I have. So actual WaveIO will stay "as is" for now.
2. That "manual" is more like a "quick start-up guide"! :eek: You can contact me any time or post here if you need help or assistance for your WaveIO.
3. As for power supply, yes, the WaveIO needs at least 380 mA (more likely 400 mA) to operate properly.
4. The chip used for the I2S isolation is the NVE's IL715-3E part. If I recall correctly, the voltage on any of the isolated sides can go from 3.3V to 5V. The exact values can be seen from part's datasheet.
Current: I ran a couple of measures back in days and never see anything more than 10 mA / isolated side. So, with 10mA you should be fine BUT the total current drawn by this part depends on the loads you'll wire on those I2S signals!
5. Driver: If you'll acquire your WaveIO then you'll automatically get for free the latest driver release I have for it! Further versions are subject to a fee. This thing is not making me comfortable but I exposed my reasons few posts above.
6. Shipping costs to Germany can be seen by using the shopping cart found on Luckit | Audiophile grade DIY products website.

Kind regards,
L

Don't know about others, but paying for new driver is not such a big deal for me. I don't update them that often and paying up to 10euros per update is acceptable. Especially if you stick to only major updates. Though i wish it was more like 5-7$ :)
I also think it's impossible to protect the drivers from people who want it. They'll simply buy 1 waveio and then request drivers under "not-so-obvious name" every time.
It's shame that chip/soft manufacturer can't come up with some kind of protection. I always thought that when you have both - soft and hardware in your hands you can do many things. Like online activation which is glued to your chip S/N or something...

P.S.Lorien, i sent email asking for a driver yesterday (as well as wanting to buy another WaveIO) just so you know.

Hello
I bought a 2nd hand waveio from a fellow forum member several months ago and have been happily using it to get USB audio into my Najda DSP.
I have a maybe stupid question about jumper J8, can it be hooked to switch and used as a “input” select between the two USB ports?
I’ve had a search around the forum and couldn’t find anything about it, so maybe that is my answer…
Thanks

Hello,
I've been running my WaveIO for years now! Connected up to a WAF Najda DSP.
Times change and so do input needs.

Silly question perhaps, is it possible to connect a second input to WaveIO and switch between the two?

I want to feed my file server music source via USB as I do now and add a I2S input as well. As far as I know Najda has just one I2S input so I can't do it there.

What I'd like to do is keep the USB -> I2S as is. add a I2S second input as a straight I2S pass through.
Can WaveIO be configured to do this?