XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

SPDIF no signal.

I connected the WaveIO to FIFO via the isolated I2S and work excellent, but no sound when connect through the SPDIF, neither the isolated or non-isolated. Even directly connect it to BIII, still no sound. Scope shows no output from the SPDIF. Please advise what may be the problem.
With your permission let's try to solve this privately to keep this thread clean. I'll send you an email right after I'll finish writing this reply.

Hurrah !!

I got the WaveIO card today after some very nasty adventures !
A neighbour of mine tried to steal the parcel from the postman ! :mad:

But I threatened to call the police and finally he gave me the card back.

To all the owners of the WaveIO card. Keep it carefully, because it is sooooo good that some people try to steal it !! :D:D:p
It is world glory for Lucian ! :)

I am delighted to be able to listen to it soon.....:)

Many thanks Lucian ! ;)
No problem just trying to solve tour issue as best as possible! Well, I'm still thinking at what I should learn from this not so pleasant experience as it took me by surprise... :confused:

Hello, want to upgrade a Behringer DCX 2496 with the Wave IO board. For this I have following question:
Is it possible fixing the output rate of the board to 24 bit / 96 kHz with the software? I mean, that incoming lower rates would be up sampled, and incoming higher rates would be down sampled. With the fixed sample rate out of the Wave IO board it would be possible to connect the board via I2S to the DCX 2496 without using the SRC CS 8420?
I am very pleasure, for some details or solutions!
Thanks! Rainer
Now sure about the sample rate but from what I can remember, the DCX does use the I2S but in master mode (generates the Word clock and bit clock) thing that WaveIO is also does... so two masters on the same I2S bus will not be a pleasant view... Most likely I have to change the firmware for this and allow your DCX to control the I2S bus accordingly. I'll do it gladly but daughter is on the line (please see below) :) Anyway, I'm ready to be wrong!

How is your daughter Lorien? :))
Nice and slow.... :eek: To be honest I'm still working in parallel on a project that I hoped to be ready in January... well it's still January and I'm still optimistic but things got wild here when this project was 90% ready! Yes, I've been through this before, with actual WaveIO... jrling has asked about the board but I will like to give details after I'll see it fully implemented.

Hi Lorien,

How to get the cables for the I2S output?

Is it called micro BNC cable?

Gary
Here is a link to those that I'm using right now for testing purposes. Please note that are coming with different lengths and, if possible, please choose the shortest one that could accommodate your connections.
@ barrows & TheShaman: thank you!

Cheers,
L

Last edited:
Well, I'm still thinking at what I should learn from this not so pleasant experience as it took me by surprise... :confused:

You are not at all responsible Lucian ! You can't do anything against dishonest people !

But I am just thinking that maybe there is a solution. I don't know how you call it in english and if it exists for international postage, but here in Switzerland the post office has an option that forces the postman to look at identification papers before giving the parcel. It is very effective against steal but it costs approximately 12 Euros more than standard delivery cost.
Maybe you could use it as an option for people who are afraid of a steal......

Cheers,
staki

Now sure about the sample rate but from what I can remember, the DCX does use the I2S but in master mode (generates the Word clock and bit clock) thing that WaveIO is also does... so two masters on the same I2S bus will not be a pleasant view... Most likely I have to change the firmware for this and allow your DCX to control the I2S bus accordingly. I'll do it gladly but daughter is on the line (please see below) :) Anyway, I'm ready to be wrong!

Cheers,
L

Hi Lorien,
Thanks, for your fast replay! My Behringer DCX 2496 is not in master mode anymore, because I build out the master clock and use a SRC upgrade board (from Peter Oettle) with own low jitter master clock instead. My intension is to use the Wave board as master via I2S in fixed mode 24bit / 96kHz and also use the clock from the Wave board (24.576 MHz) as master clock / in master mode. In this case I would extract the Oettel SRC upgrade board completely. Would this be a solution? Or is it the wrong way?
Thanks, Rainer

WAVE IO actural current requirements

To Lorien or anyone who have assemble the board, can I have a clear description the true current requirement for the board since the beginning of this thread Lorien mention the board needs about 600mA of current but from the description of DDDAC guy it need 380mA !!! So which is the right one as I'm in the middle of finding the right pars for the PSU.

What is the daughter board?

Sorry that I am late to this discussion. I was told of this device and want to give it a try.

I see the mention of the daughter board and I have looked through pages and pages of posts but there are too many to read them all.

Would someone please tell me what this will do.

I am definitely ordering the WaveIO and as any obsessed audiophile I want the best possible result.

THANKS in advance!

Hi Lorien,
Thanks, for your fast replay! My Behringer DCX 2496 is not in master mode anymore, because I build out the master clock and use a SRC upgrade board (from Peter Oettle) with own low jitter master clock instead. My intension is to use the Wave board as master via I2S in fixed mode 24bit / 96kHz and also use the clock from the Wave board (24.576 MHz) as master clock / in master mode. In this case I would extract the Oettel SRC upgrade board completely. Would this be a solution? Or is it the wrong way?
Thanks, Rainer
Well, I suppose the SRC card tries to accommodate two clock regions: input clock vs DCX clock?
If so, WaveIO cannot do this as it's acting as a master all the time thus it cannot listen the DCX's requests involving I2S bus. I guess the simple way to start with would be to wire WaveIO to your SRC board (made by Peter Oettle) and after positive results then try to bypass it by connect your WaveIO card directly to DCX I2S bus... and see what's happen :)
As for 24/96 requirements... WaveIO is kinda WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get - more or less :) ) thus, for example, if this card does receive 192 kHz streams the it will output it in the same way (@ 192 Khz). I cannot output it at different sample rate as there's no ASRC module implemented in the XMOS chip nor I want it to do. The main goal is to leave the streams go through this card without any digital processing involved.
Here you have to choose the audio files that are at the quality requested by DCX gear (24/96) or resample them with external processor/resampler.
I hope it helps, L

To Lorien or anyone who have assemble the board, can I have a clear description the true current requirement for the board since the beginning of this thread Lorien mention the board needs about 600mA of current but from the description of DDDAC guy it need 380mA !!! So which is the right one as I'm in the middle of finding the right pars for the PSU.
Doede is right, I'm not :eek: At the time I wrote those stupid results I had a poorly designed chinese crap. Now I got other two as well but, at least, shows different results, both close to 380mA. So, please accept my apologies if this create confusion and choose 380mA as the current needed for WaveIO to run properly.

Sorry that I am late to this discussion. I was told of this device and want to give it a try.

I see the mention of the daughter board and I have looked through pages and pages of posts but there are too many to read them all.

Would someone please tell me what this will do.

I am definitely ordering the WaveIO and as any obsessed audiophile I want the best possible result.

THANKS in advance!
There are few replies to your email addresses, don't know i you have any of them as I didn't get any answers from you yet. I'll wait for your PM.
Thank you,
L

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello Lorien..

My WaveIO card run with mpd on BuffIIIse without any problems in the test.
After a test on a PC with waveio driver ( it works perfect)
i wanted to hear again with mpd but there is no sound. When I use the PC i have sound, MPD no sound.
When I use the mpd with another I2S Interface i have sound .
Only the WaveIO with MPD no sound since test with Windows ...

Please help

Doede is right, I'm not :eek: At the time I wrote those stupid results I had a poorly designed chinese crap. Now I got other two as well but, at least, shows different results, both close to 380mA. So, please accept my apologies if this create confusion and choose 380mA as the current needed for WaveIO to run properly.

no need to....i got it all just fine thanks :up:

Buffalo II can also play DSD data stream. I heard about some benefits of converting PCM into DSD and then to analogue (NAD is doing it in their M51 DAC).

The last version of Jriver can convert PCM to DSD on the fly, but how to get the converted DSD stream from the PC into BII ?

Can WaveIO handle DSD stream ?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello Pet-240

Alsa is to 100%, will be recognized as waveIO Device0 subd 0
it is also entered in mpd.conf
the sound-test and mpd brings no sound with waveio, with miniUSB of dsp4you is the sound present with audio-test and mpd
(horrible sound :)),

Windows and WaveIO works fine
first time WaveIO run with super sound on alixboard with voyagempd. Only since the Windows test it no longer works.:scratch:

Same result after power WaveIO with USBPower and Restart ...

:confused: Thanks