XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

The A13-OLinuXino-WIFI is an interesting board at a nice price, using a GL850G for USB hub, which from my experiences with external powered hubs which use the same chip, is not going to be a problem with Linux. I don't suppose anyone has tried the WaveIO with this board?

Clive - like you I thought the Olimex Board looked an excellent choice. I have a WaveIO but I am using mpdPup to drive it - with great success. Unfortunately, mpdPup does not currently exist in ARM code form. I would be loathe to ditch mpdPup without finding a transport that gave similar or better results and wondered how you find Squeezelite as a transport? Certainly, looks like you need to be highly technically knowledgeable looking at the Squeezelite minimalist website!

I would be loathe to ditch mpdPup without finding a transport that gave similar or better results and wondered how you find Squeezelite as a transport? Certainly, looks like you need to be highly technically knowledgeable looking at the Squeezelite minimalist website!

Squeezelite is just a simple, "dumb" client that you run from the command line. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the same track played via the mpd or squeezelite, from the same hardware, through the same USB port. You might need to set a command line option to tell it to use the WaveIO, rather than the default board audio output, but that aside, there isn't really anything to it. Obviously, being a simple "dumb" client, it depends on a Logitech Media Server running somewhere on your local network.

Squeezelite is just a simple, "dumb" client that you run from the command line. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the same track played via the mpd or squeezelite, from the same hardware, through the same USB port. You might need to set a command line option to tell it to use the WaveIO, rather than the default board audio output, but that aside, there isn't really anything to it. Obviously, being a simple "dumb" client, it depends on a Logitech Media Server running somewhere on your local network.

Thanks Clive

I think the essential difference between mpdPup and Squeezelite is that the former is a 'memory player' and Squeezelite is effectively a music streaming client (for LMS). So mpdPup loads a complete track into RAM and outputs it to WaveIO, whereas I am guessing that Squeezelite is streaming packets in real time?

Do tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree there.

I think the essential difference between mpdPup and Squeezelite is that the former is a 'memory player' and Squeezelite is effectively a music streaming client (for LMS). So mpdPup loads a complete track into RAM and outputs it to WaveIO, whereas I am guessing that Squeezelite is streaming packets in real time?

Well, I don't know anything about mpdPup. But yes, LMS is streaming in real time to squeezelite. Squeezelite has decode and output buffers in memory, but does not buffer a whole track.

Is it possible to run mpdPup from a SSD or a Compact Flash Card ?

Yes. it's just another linux distro optimized for size and efficiency. You can install it in anything where it would fit (usb stick, ssd, hd, usb hd, etc.) and is s bootable device. Then add storage or even increase the original partition's size to fill the size of your new install device. By keeping the music somewhere else in the network or on another disk that gets mounted by the system after it boots you can freely update the mpdPup without worries about hosing your music filles.

Hi - I run the WaveIO and mpdPup USB stick both from USB ports. The quality is excellent. When booting mpdPup the USB stick loads the whole OS into RAM and thereafter the USB stick is redundant. You can even unplug it! I would not recommend that as when you close down mpdPup it saves the config back to the USB stick (in case you made any config changes).

It is possible to install mpdPup to SSD or CF.

See here for full details.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

Let me know how you find mpdPup.

When booting mpdPup the USB stick loads the whole OS into RAM and thereafter the USB stick is redundant.
Very good thing ! So no possible conflicts between both devices when playing hi-rez files.
Thanks for the link.
Let me know how you find mpdPup.
Unfortunately I'll have to wait a little. The WaveIO card was shipped a few days ago from Rumania and I am still waiting to receive it. And after that I'll have to build the power supplies and the whole DAC.
For now I am using a RME 9632 soundcard on a mini-itx motherboard, and when I tried mpdPup on a USB stick it didn't recognize the soundcard so I couldn't test it at all.

Last edited:
Yes. it's just another linux distro optimized for size and efficiency. You can install it in anything where it would fit (usb stick, ssd, hd, usb hd, etc.) and is s bootable device. Then add storage or even increase the original partition's size to fill the size of your new install device. By keeping the music somewhere else in the network or on another disk that gets mounted by the system after it boots you can freely update the mpdPup without worries about hosing your music filles.

For now I have all my files on a SATA HDD. But it is formatted in NTFS. I don't know if mpdPup can read the NTFS partitions, or if I have to reformat the whole HDD in ext3 or another Linux format.

Did you try to use a master/slave power strip ? With the pc on the master side and the waveio on the slave side ?
I am not sure at all, but that could help......

Tried a powerstrip but same problem. Maybe it's related with mpdpup, but other usb converters worked well with mpdpup, the developer it's still trying to find a clue on the problem, but for the moment i'm happy as it is, only thing is that i have to power on the Alix board and after 2-3 minutes the WaveIO and all it's fine.

Hurrah !!

I got the WaveIO card today after some very nasty adventures !
A neighbour of mine tried to steal the parcel from the postman ! :mad:

But I threatened to call the police and finally he gave me the card back.

To all the owners of the WaveIO card. Keep it carefully, because it is sooooo good that some people try to steal it !! :D:D:p
It is world glory for Lucian ! :)

I am delighted to be able to listen to it soon.....:)

Many thanks Lucian ! ;)

Hello, want to upgrade a Behringer DCX 2496 with the Wave IO board. For this I have following question:
Is it possible fixing the output rate of the board to 24 bit / 96 kHz with the software? I mean, that incoming lower rates would be up sampled, and incoming higher rates would be down sampled. With the fixed sample rate out of the Wave IO board it would be possible to connect the board via I2S to the DCX 2496 without using the SRC CS 8420?
I am very pleasure, for some details or solutions!
Thanks! Rainer