XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

I guess you mean the Murata EMIFIL NFM/L/R/E range? excellent parts, they look like 4 terminal but are 3 terminal. they come in larger than 0603 these days, right up to 2220
There are other manufacturers like TDK that make similar products but, in my opinion, with less performance. After all passing years I will (finally) have the chance to solder some in January on a new board that will come out soon.
Cheers,
L

If i properly understood, than if i want to use isolated i2s output i need separate 3.3V power supply. How do do it properly ?
I am using TP Placid to power my WaeIO. Can i just connect another regulator to 5v Placid output to get 3.3 V ? Any hints ?

The voltage that you supply the 'clean' side should be the same as the logic voltage level expected by your DAC.

You should not use the placid reg that supplies the WaveIO as this then passes the noise propagating on the ground connection to the 'clean' side and this negates the intention of the isolator. So a separate regulated supply should be provided to the 'clean' side of the WaveIO isolated output.

I use currently a lt1084-regged psu for the isolator...and I am wondering if not taking the 3.3v from the buffalo-dac would not be even better, e.g. from the i2c connector ? I read somewhere that looking at the isolator psu wise as part of the dac makes most sense, so identical noise is helpful. If that is the case...which 3.3v tap from the buffalo is adviseable ? I believe there are at least two different areas or regs i could try to use...

WaveIO SQ

Hi all and happy new year!
I want to report my experience with the WaveIO: finally after more than three months working (in the spare time obviously :) ) on rebuilding my dac, i've manged to finish it and do some serious listening test, well, reading the post in this forum my expectations were high, but they had been exceeded a long way!! :eek:

Onestly, never listened to such beautiful sound coming from speakers, and i'm sure much of the merit is for the WaveIO, because my dac was only tweaked a bit (double PCM1704K in nos mode with resistor I/V conversion and jfet amplifier + buffer, i'm using isolated I2S output) in the psu. Lucian philosophy of very good psu and well engineered layout (that is also mine) it's for sure a winner.

I'm listening it thru an Alix 3d2 board with mpdpup 0.9.3a installed with the stock tweaks, music files are on a separate nas, very short (0,5 mt) and high quality usb cable, highly recommended!

At this point i don't think is it possible to gain much more from such a high quality card Lucian, but i'm looking forward to see your next project ;) i'm always ready to be wrong.

DIY it's a never ending story!

Bye.

P.S.: just to tell the whole story, with the WaveIO i've found one little problem and is that if you boot the card before the pc (or you have to reboot the pc but don't turn off the WaveIO), the card is not recognised at the restart, and you have to turn it off and on to let it work again. It's surely an hardware/firmware problem of the card, because also with windows there is the same problem and chances are that it's due to the fact i'm powering the card with a separate psu and not from the usb. Powering from the usb probably the card is resetted with the pc when you reboot, i say probably, never tested it.

Last edited:
I came to a similar conclusion...with a Alix 1 card and a sotm usb-card which gives you even more natural sound than the Alix 3d2 which I tried as well...still woundering if the isolator chip i use from the waveio card should really get its power froma sep.supply or from the Buffalo Dac to have the same ground and psu noise ?

I came to a similar conclusion...with a Alix 1 card and a sotm usb-card which gives you even more natural sound than the Alix 3d2 which I tried as well...still woundering if the isolator chip i use from the waveio card should really get its power froma sep.supply or from the Buffalo Dac to have the same ground and psu noise ?

Don't know if a dedicated supply can be better, mine actually is derived from the 3.3v supplying the shifter board (so the noise on the supply is in phase with the one from the optocoupler), but it's very well filtered and generated from an LF33C ic that then it's supplied from a 12v line with a LM7812 and that has an RC filter, so zero ripple and very low noise on the 3.3v output. Also my Alix board got a linear supply with CRC filter + LT1086, i've tried a cheap switching psu but the sound becamed unlistenable! The linear psu wastes ~2 watts but the increase in SQ it's priceless!

@Blitz: did you experience the same problem on reboots as mine?

Last edited:
P.S.: just to tell the whole story, with the WaveIO i've found one little problem and is that if you boot the card before the pc (or you have to reboot the pc but don't turn off the WaveIO), the card is not recognised at the restart, and you have to turn it off and on to let it work again. It's surely an hardware/firmware problem of the card, because also with windows there is the same problem and chances are that it's due to the fact i'm powering the card with a separate psu and not from the usb. Powering from the usb probably the card is resetted with the pc when you reboot, i say probably, never tested it.

Did you try to use a master/slave power strip ? With the pc on the master side and the waveio on the slave side ?
I am not sure at all, but that could help......

Joined 2012
Paid Member

My WaveIO is powered by a separate supply and it is always on. It is connected to a Pogoplug running Debian/mpd and rebooting the Pogoplug with the WaveIO powered up has not been a problem.