XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

@ sinski: I'm sorry for my late feedback on your issue as Christmas is near and I must find a way to share my time as best as I can. Back to your issue, as hochopeper said before me (thank you Chris!), I intended to ask you to test the board with isolated I2S outputs to see if something is changed... but I see that you've done that already without any improvements. This lead me to the idea that there's something wrong with your WaveIO card, despite the fact that it was tested before shipping! :confused:
Now, let's take this conversation to PMs as I have to switch few private infos with you to repair your card (if possible) or give you another one instead!
Best wishes,
L

@Russ White - the screens of ufl connector are connected to the waveio gnd only at the waveio side, the fourth ufl (MCLK) is used ONLY as a ground connection between waveio and gnd of the BII digital input. I will try to change this arrangement.

@Lucian - i am also in Christamss fever, i will pm you and i think the best for me and for You will be, that i will try to solve those problems in January, after all those crazy Christmass & New Year days will pass :)

@Russ White & @Lucian - it seems that BII married to WaveIO (as long as it works in my case) is probably the best possible digital reproduction system in the world. I have a nice "High End :) " system and i never heard so wonderfull sound. Some older "bad" recordings sounds suddenly so good and the difference between 16/44 and 24/96 is much bigger now.

Thanks for Your great work !!! :hohoho:

Yes, this is what I suggested ;)

Though remember to power the BII side of the WaveIO with a 3.3V supply. Lucian should have provided pin out for the connector for you, follow his instructions for this connection. You cannot use the same supply for the isolated side of the isolator as the waveio, this will defeat the isolation!!

@sinski: check the attached picture. It might help you!

Attachments

• WaveIO Isolated I2S.jpg
    WaveIO Isolated I2S.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
I don't think tere is any difference between internal and external USB connector. With J12 on waveio you can set power source - from usb or external.

The ufl cables are screened nearly to the end.

After i installed additional heatsink on Placid i tried up to 650mA, nothing helps.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I also checked what will happen if waveio is not getting enough power and tried lower values and going with Placid under 300mA just turned off waveio, there was no digital noise or something like that.

Is there any chance to get here some support from Lorien/Lucian ? :confused:

I made my own USB cable without the 5V power wire, that's why i use external USB to avoid any kind of interference (i am aware of J12). I soldered ufl receptacles on sidecar in order to use the 5 cm factory made cables and better isolation. Just make sense to me.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I made my own USB cable without the 5V power wire, that's why i use external USB to avoid any kind of interference (i am aware of J12). I soldered ufl receptacles on sidecar in order to use the 5 cm factory made cables and better isolation. Just make sense to me.

Could you post a pic of soldered u.fl receptacles on Sidecar? where did you bought the u.fl receptacles?

Hmm, the problem is, that i don't have 3.3V ps at the moment.
I will test what is happening, when i will connect WaveIO with isolated spdif output to BII. I have not so much time, on friday i am travelling to my parents for Christmass. :hohoho:

I had the same noise with DSD over teleporter to both a 80mHz Buff II and Buf IIISE. Changing the DPLL bandwidth to x128 and highest helped but the sample rate was swinging up and down.

It stopped when I turned spdif auto detect off (on both of the dacs), and the sample rate was stable on the Buff II arduino display. It seemed that the DPLL struggled to lock with SPDIF auto detect on for some reason.

Not sure this will be of help.

PS I have used the Wave IO with Buf II 80mHz/100mHz, Buf III and Buf IIISE directly using u.fl and via teleporters without any issues. This problem of a wave of digital noise followed by unlock/mute only happened with DSD from Denon 2900 via teleporters. DSD from amanero usb was no problem in all the previously listed DAC's.

Cornelius

NDKs are in standard configuration for quite some time now (even if the pictures on luckit.biz are not showing this - must be updated) as for WaveIO availability, the list is getting quite long... reason: the Christmas holidays are not helping me with this because of this: :cheers: , this: :xmastree: and this: :santa2:
Not to mention this::grouphug:, :birthday:,:sing:, :drink:, :eek: , :crazy: , :hypno2: and the list can go on... :)
Thank you for understanding,
L

NDKs are in standard configuration for quite some time now (even if the pictures on luckit.biz are not showing this - must be updated) as for WaveIO availability, the list is getting quite long... reason: the Christmas holidays are not helping me with this because of this: :cheers: , this: :xmastree: and this: :santa2:
Not to mention this::grouphug:, :birthday:,:sing:, :drink:, :eek: , :crazy: , :hypno2: and the list can go on... :)
Thank you for understanding,
L

That's fine, I'm in no rush. In fact, I was thinking of putting my name on the daughter board list anyway and I will probably probably opt for having them shipped together unless I can finish all other projects before the daughter boards are ready (which is not likely ;)).

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all! :hohoho: