71. Luxury54
72. mjock3
73. JLOP
74. Stixx
75. CeeVee
76. Blitz
77. Spev

Why a daughter board.

I have plan to order a standard board. I will go: XMOS --> TDA1541, I/V, buffer. Maybe I will also try PCM56 (with an additional inverter).
But, though I looked through the thread, I cannot find the compelling reason to order a daughter board too.
  • Can someone explain it? What problem does it solve?

Hi all

To connect the Wave IO board to my DAC AD1865 NOS SRPP (which has no connector yet and when Lucian will have done the software update to allow for RightJustified I2S this DAC has :vampire:), I am looking for advices :
- what connectors (DEP, 8P8C RJ45, ...) ?
- what cables (shielded, not shielded, CAT5 or 6, flat, ...) ?

Thanks
Jean-Louis

Hi Guys
I would welcome any advice on my post which was "buried" in the Daughter board pre GB.:D

Thanks a lot, I could not find much synthesis information on the I2S...
Jean-Louis

Okay, my english language skills are killing all of us so, let's keep it simple:
1. This GB is for a daughter board (one that will be attached to WaveIO) which wants to improve WaveIO's functionality by adding USB isolation and retiming the I2S signals right before the DAC chip.
2. Usually, all the WaveIO owners can jump in and take benefit of the "numbers" (lower prices for daughter board).
3. If you don't have any WaveIO main board around but you want one then there are two choices for you, as far as I can see now:
a) Sign in into this GB and wait for the WaveIO + daughter bundle to be available and buy all of them at once (you have to wait for some time though!) or
b) go to WaveIO | Luckit and use the shopping cart to order one and later on you can sign in for the daughter GB to take benefit from lower prices.

Daughter board will be integrated into WaveIO boards already sold by sending WaveIO cards back to me, I'll make the necessary hardware + software changes and I'll ship it back to destination.
Hope it helps,
L

Hi all

To connect the Wave IO board to my DAC AD1865 NOS SRPP (which has no connector yet and when Lucian will have done the software update to allow for RightJustified I2S this DAC has :vampire:), I am looking for advices :
- what connectors (DEP, 8P8C RJ45, ...) ?
- what cables (shielded, not shielded, CAT5 or 6, flat, ...) ?

Thanks
Jean-Louis

Sorry for not replying earlier. I forgot to come back.

Basically for each i2s signal you want to take a pair of wires (preferably twisted together to reduce noise picked up OR sheilded with good termination, ie u.fl connector at both dac and waveio end of the cable) from WaveIO to the dac. Ideally the dac will provide a signal+gnd termination for each of the i2s lines. [NOT one gnd pin and a few signal pins scattered around, this means the lines are more susceptible to noise/EMI etc]

At the WaveIO end for i2s output you basically have 2 choices:

1. Non-isolated i2s from u.fl connectors. Take a u.fl cable cut it in half, strip and connect it's sheild to the closest signal ground available on the dac. Strip its internal signal wire and connect to the signal header.

2. Isolated i2s from J6 header. Use IPC cable from header to supply i2s to DAC and provide the required logic voltage (is your dac's i2s input expecting 5V logic or 3v3?) as input to the appropriate pins on the header. Take the pairs of i2s from the cable and connect to DAC. NB You must provide a separate voltage supply here (not the same as the waveio as this will defeat the isolator chip's purpose).

I don't know much about your DAC so would hesitate to suggest which of the above options is best.

Cheers,
Chris

2. Isolated i2s from J6 header. Use IPC cable from header to supply i2s to DAC and provide the required logic voltage (is your dac's i2s input expecting 5V logic or 3v3?) as input to the appropriate pins on the header.

interesting observation, so I wonder how can this device be set in order to provide these two different voltage I2S signals for the different type of DAC(s)?
I mean that some DAC needs 3,3V I2S signal, others (like mine) need 5V I2S signal - so how can this be achieved with this WAVE I/O motherboard?

Thanks

Sorry for not replying earlier. I forgot to come back.

I hope you are kidding Chris ;)
Thanks a lot, you are really helpful. I gotta dig your answer and make a drawing to make sure I understood everything properly for the cabling.

I joined schematic from my Dac, seems that the DAC is fed in 5v. I will study datasheets more in detail to check where exactly insert the I2S, should i understand that it is right in the DAC chip after the 74C02. I will study Ian's thread too.

BR from Paris
Jean-Louis

Attachments

• Schematic DAC AD1865_SRPP.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 114
  • AD1865INTERFACING I2S.png
    AD1865INTERFACING I2S.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 817
interesting observation, so I wonder how can this device be set in order to provide these two different voltage I2S signals for the different type of DAC(s)?
I mean that some DAC needs 3,3V I2S signal, others (like mine) need 5V I2S signal - so how can this be achieved with this WAVE I/O motherboard?

Thanks

Provide 5V on V+ pin of J6 and the i2s on J6 will be 5V and isolated from the computer/fpga noise as well :)

As Brian has said above, typically 3.3V i2s -> 5V logic (DAC inputs or ttl logic gates) will work ok. 5V logic -> a device expecting 3.3V logic is not recommended, likely will end badly for that DAC chip(s).

Edit: If you check your DAC datasheet, it should specify low/high cut-off levels and a voltage tolerance on the digital input pins.

Last edited:
I hope you are kidding Chris ;)
Thanks a lot, you are really helpful. I gotta dig your answer and make a drawing to make sure I understood everything properly for the cabling.

I joined schematic from my Dac, seems that the DAC is fed in 5v. I will study datasheets more in detail to check where exactly insert the I2S, should i understand that it is right in the DAC chip after the 74C02. I will study Ian's thread too.

BR from Paris
Jean-Louis

If you're using the AD1865, certainly check and ask questions in Ian's I2S to PCM thread and FIFO also. The i2s to pcm coverter is a great solution to this problem.

If you use Ian's conversion board then you would connect this to the DAC inputs (bypass the nor logic gates). If you use WaveIO directly you must connect via the logic to convert i2s to a pcm signal that your dac is expecting. The issue that Ian's board addresses is that there is variations in the logic gate operation time, this adds jitter to the signal regardless of how good the transport might be. Ian's board performs a similar conversion, but does the conversion better IMO and then performs a re-clocked stage for minimum jitter before connecting to your DAC.

Me tooo...

Returning to this thread after more than a year.

In contrast to most other users of WaveIO, my experience is that regardless of ground noise from non-isolated I2S, my TDA1541A based DAC still sound better with it than isolated I2S of current WaveIO. This is my personal opinion and I have no measurements to prove it.

Nonetheless, I wish to have USB isolation without resultant higher jitter from NVE IL715. Thus,

One daughter board for me as well:

1. hirez69
2. analog_sa
3. m.massimo
4. ozlegend
5. luisbock
6. vitalica
7. palmito
8. gabanyayaya
9. danny_66
10. shoom
11.12. kp93300 X 2