XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is necessary to connect the ground of the supply of the Wave IO to the ground of the sidecar?

What's settings have I to left at USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel?

Grounded the Sidecar with the external psu of the WaveIO, now is sounding:), I played with Control Panel for ASIO driver latency is very useful but I don't know if I have to adjust the rest of settings of I have to left as default.

Hi Lorien

Sounds great news, making it more future proof! I presume my board has not yet been sent & so will contain the change? I am much looking forward to receiving it to use with my DEQX-based Tikandi loudspeaker system, having heard this system recently with the very expensive Berkeley Alpha S/SDIF converter & so become dissatisfied with all other less expensive converters I have tried - Audiophilleo, Halide, Hiface etc.

Cheers
Rod
Hi Rod, your card have DFU implemented, no problem! It would also had the new daughter board if it would made in time. :eek:

@ Corpius and juanitox: thank you for confirming the delivery of your cards. It will make my life easier as tracking registered parcels often it proves quite difficult from my side.

It is necessary to connect the ground of the supply of the Wave IO to the ground of the sidecar?

What's settings have I to left at USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel?
Yes, for non-isolated I2S outputs. I see you've done that later :)

Any possibility to have the old cards updated, even for a fee?
D.

Now, regarding the updates: besides DFU (for which I have to upload some files in the driver's package and is done) I want to build a daughter card to improve the SQ by retiming the I2S signals while adding isolation between the outputs and WaveIO board itself. This new card is designed explicitly for actual WaveIOs as the revision will not need it. I'm now in schematic stage, searching for parts that offers a fair balance between quality and performance. Moreover, to keep costs down this board will be build in Q's over 50 pcs. or more. If there's any interest in it among actual WaveIO owners please contact me through PMs.

Kind regards,
L

Nice to see here Corpius:)
I always seems to stumble over the same people, no matter where I go. Maybe it has something to do with shared interests? :D

@ Corpius and juanitox: thank you for confirming the delivery of your cards. It will make my life easier as tracking registered parcels often it proves quite difficult from my side
You're welcome! It actually arrived very quick. I think it was the the 5th of September, but I was in Berlin til a few days ago.
I have almost finished the dedicated power supply, but come short of a few parts. I could power it from the USB input for now, but I'd rather set it up the way I want it. Meaning that I'll have to wait a bit more. Well all good things come to he who waits.:rolleyes:

Hi Rod, your card have DFU implemented, no problem! It would also had the new daughter board if it would made in time. :eek:
<snip>
Kind regards,
L

Many thanks for the info Lorien. Your new daughter board addresses a problem that DEQX had, namely the current isolated I2S output seemed to have higher jitter. Please put me down for one when it becomes available.

All the best
Rod

Now, regarding the updates: besides DFU (for which I have to upload some files in the driver's package and is done) I want to build a daughter card to improve the SQ by retiming the I2S signals while adding isolation between the outputs and WaveIO board itself. This new card is designed explicitly for actual WaveIOs as the revision will not need it. I'm now in schematic stage, searching for parts that offers a fair balance between quality and performance. Moreover, to keep costs down this board will be build in Q's over 50 pcs. or more. If there's any interest in it among actual WaveIO owners please contact me through PMs.

Kind regards,
L

Good.
You can count on me for 1pc.

More orders -> less cost for you -> lower price for us.

Lorien, what kind of connection and power needs from daughter card to the actual board?
Regards
Well, trying to keep costs down I intend to use some parts from WaveIO card like LP5900 Vregs and so on. Unfortunately the NDK oscillators can't be used as I need the double of those feqs: 45.1584 and 49.152 MHz. Either way, there will be footprints for NDK (3.2 x 2.5 mm) to 5x7 osc. and Crysteks as well. The latest are quite big for this adapter but I'll see what I can do.
I have in mind for the transmitter board to be mounted on WaveIO by using J6 pin-header + H1 & H2 mounting holes while the receiver will be somewhere on your DAC. Differential signaling and CAT5 cables are involved for I2S path (Playback only!).
So, to keep it simple there will be needed a separate 5V source (NOT that used to power up WaveIO!) for the TX board while RX we will see what input voltage will handle (most probably another 5V - but not the same with TX or WaveIO boards!).

Best wishes,
L

Last edited:
Hello, Lorien.

I got few questions concerning your famous board:

1 Can Your board be clocked with 36.864MHz generator? In my DAC project I use SM5847AF digital filter and PCM1704 DACs. SM5847AF can work only with 36.864MHz (192fs) at 192 kHz sampling rate.

2 Does the board provide any output signals suitable for sampling rate indication?

PS for new daughter board

I have in mind for the transmitter board to be mounted on WaveIO by using J6 pin-header + H1 & H2 mounting holes while the receiver will be somewhere on your DAC. Differential signaling and CAT5 cables are involved for I2S path (Playback only!).
So, to keep it simple there will be needed a separate 5V source (NOT that used to power up WaveIO!) for the TX board while RX we will see what input voltage will handle (most probably another 5V - but not the same with TX or WaveIO boards!)

So, three new 5V power supplies, 1 for J6 (NVE), 1 for RX, 1 for TX. Is it correct?

Hello, Lorien.

I got few questions concerning your famous board:

1 Can Your board be clocked with 36.864MHz generator? In my DAC project I use SM5847AF digital filter and PCM1704 DACs. SM5847AF can work only with 36.864MHz (192fs) at 192 kHz sampling rate.

I'm not so sure, I have a suspicion but I'll leave it to Lorien to respond.

2 Does the board provide any output signals suitable for sampling rate indication?

Yes. There is a header that gives an output for each sample rate and a pin each for host active/stream active.