XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

@ soundcheck: When WaveIO was designed I didn't thought at this aspect (of changing current values in USB descriptors) so the plain answer so far is: no, iPad will not accept WaveIO as the last one will report 500mA due enumeration. In the meanwhile (I think) I've found where do I have to change for WaveIO to report a power consumption of 20mA or less hoping that iPad will accept it. Tests are not completed yet but I'll let you know when I have a stable firmware.
If it works, there will be two: the old one (with no "iPad support") and this new one that will work only with external supply (as long as 20mA or less will be of no good for WaveIO when plugged into an ordinary USB port).

Cool. Thx for your feedback and efforts.
That'll open a huge marketsegment for Wave-IO.
The iPAd can run can run iPeng-player (up to 24/96 network playback) plus Wave-IO.

That can make devices like Squeezebox Touch or other network streaming devices obsolete.

With Android 4.1 there'll be more even more mobile devices to support. USB-Audio support seems to be a part of 4.1

Has anybody tested the WaveIo against the Samsung Galaxy SIII? It's supposed to be supporting USB DACs. I do not know how Android will
handle those USB power limitations!!??!

Cheers

P.S:
Lorien: I stil lhavn't pulled the trigger on your device, because I still hope that one day a multichannel device will hit the market!?!?!

Cool. Thx for your feedback and efforts.
That'll open a huge marketsegment for Wave-IO.
The iPAd can run can run iPeng-player (up to 24/96 network playback) plus Wave-IO.

That can make devices like Squeezebox Touch or other network streaming devices obsolete.

With Android 4.1 there'll be more even more mobile devices to support. USB-Audio support seems to be a part of 4.1

Has anybody tested the WaveIo against the Samsung Galaxy SIII? It's supposed to be supporting USB DACs. I do not know how Android will
handle those USB power limitations!!??!

Cheers

P.S:
Lorien: I stil lhavn't pulled the trigger on your device, because I still hope that one day a multichannel device will hit the market!?!?!

i also would like to know the answer to this.

tablet pcs are on the rise and the sooner xmos is compatible the sooner we can be part of the future XP

id like to run the waveio off of asus transformer if possible.

WaveIO and the TDA1541a

For 1541a enthusiasts, the WaveIO has a bonus feature. WaveIO's J9 Header offers up a variety of clock signals. I used the L5 pin as a source of 176.4Khz for DEM reclocking of the DAC chip. This clean clock signal at 4x44.1 is perfect for DEM reclocking a non oversampled 1541a DAC. Big jump in quality compared to using WS as a clock source. Another layer deeper into redbook.

I use the Grundig CD9009 Dem circuit.

here is a clip of the circuit

Instead of taking clock from WS, attach to L5. I used a high quality resistor that I had on hand (Riken) to make the connection. I did isolate the -15v feed with a small inductor. I don't know if either of these are important as I did not do any experimentation here. Just include it for full disclosure.

Attachments

• dem.gif
    dem.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 891
clear circuit diagram

Pet-240
This is the only clip I have. You can get a clean picture by downloading the Grundig cd9009 service manual. Go to page 27. There are 2 1541a chips. Both have the required circuit on pins 16&17. My blurry gif will give you an idea of where to look on page 27.

If I can find the original post with diagram I'll post a link to it. So far it eludes me.
It is an easy mod but tricky soldering. Solder the Caps right to the pins of the TDA chip for best results.

Good caps to use would be... 1u smt pps cap - digikey # PCF1547TR-ND

Credit to ECDesigns see pic of his use of these caps for decoupling. I did the same only with 8.2u polymer. I suspect he has the better part choice.

Attachments

• caps on pins of 1541a.jpg
    caps on pins of 1541a.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 814
For sure theres someone whos using WaveIo with Linux right?:)
I have latest Ubuntu 12.04 with3.2 kernel(?) but I got no sound. I have no idea what to do, which command to type etc. For me Linux is very new system and I know nothing. Maybe someone could help me with it please? Could be on PM:)

I believe its:
First run "alsamixer" to unmute and adjust the volume for all the channels you want and then run "alsactl store" to save these settings (in /etc//etc/asound.state). "alsactl restore" is used at system startup to restore your settings.

If I recall, mute is toggled in alsamixer in each channel with the M key. We all went through it the first time using WaveIO on Linux. Google around, you will find screen shots.

You don't have to be root to run alsamixer.

You need to install alsa-utils.

Afaik alsamixer/amixer are not installed by default on Ubuntu. (You shouldn't need those)

So run:

sudo apt-get -y install alsa-utils

and then

alsamixer

What you could do first, run

cat /proc/asound/cards

or

aplay -l

with those commands, you can see if the card is recognized at all.

Wave-IO should work under Ubuntu, because it's working also on an SB Touch - which also runs a Alsa.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I installed fresh version of Linux Mint13 on formatted SSD drive. It works instantly and I have sound, BUT I still have no Alsamixer.
I typed that command above and received info that I got alsa utils in newest version, but after typing alsamixer there is no such file???

kuba@Kuba ~ $ sudo apt-get -y install alsa-utils
[sudo] password for kuba:
Czytanie list pakietów... Gotowe
Budowanie drzewa zależności
Odczyt informacji o stanie... Gotowe
alsa-utils jest już w najnowszej wersji.
0 aktualizowanych, 0 nowo instalowanych, 0 usuwanych i 16 nieaktualizowanych.
kuba@Kuba ~ $ alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
kuba@Kuba ~ $

Im just afraid that I dont have bit perfect system as I heard that Pulseaudio is something bad like virus for normal purposes:) Anyone had such problem with nonexisting alsamixer at fresh installed system?
Maybe its a little OT but I think there could be many users who could have some problem after changing to Linux.

Last edited: