XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

According to Idolse(mpdpup) his Audiophilleo does the same. The question is whether it will do on every boot. Must be something in the firmware that mutes it? I know not much about USB, so I know not what comms goes back and forth, but can alsa be setup to never mute? Is there a line in the config that can be # so it doesn't mute at all?
I know a little more about Linux than I do USB stuff.

But I can ask questions!

Thanks,

Drew.

LED s

PET-240
We should take this over to the mpdpup site. I have not timed it but my Alix boots in 1 or 2 minutes. Will depend a bit on speed of your CF. I am running a kingston 4gb card at x133. During the boot up you will see some activity on the Alix leds and on your router. If I am in a rush it just try to log on with ssh or connect from gmpc on my client machine. These take a few seconds to time out and report an error if it is not fully booted. If Alix just sits there and does not have any led activity, you likely have a problem with the CF and need to reload the livecd.

alsamixer mute

On my Alix with VoyageMPD it does not retain its setting. I had to do the fix I posted earlier this thread.

Running mpdpup, I find it retained the alsa mute between reboots. I did have one occasion where it went back to the muted default. I believe this was after I powered down the WaveIO without powering off the Alix.

On VoyageMPD it always retained the setting, but then again I think I always powered both the WaveIO and Alix from the same power source so perhaps that is the key.
Walter

Raspberry Pi

Hi
see this link

FAQs | Raspberry Pi

I quote :
" How powerful is it?

The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics. " Unquote

Can anybody offer a opinion whether the processing power of this this minipc is enough for 24/192 files

thanks
kp93300

Running mpdpup, I find it retained the alsa mute between reboots. I did have one occasion where it went back to the muted default. I believe this was after I powered down the WaveIO without powering off the Alix.

On VoyageMPD it always retained the setting, but then again I think I always powered both the WaveIO and Alix from the same power source so perhaps that is the key.
Walter

I had WaveIO powered from usb when I did discovered this problem. That probably explains the different behaviour.

Hi
see this link

FAQs | Raspberry Pi

I quote :
" How powerful is it?

The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics. " Unquote

Can anybody offer a opinion whether the processing power of this this minipc is enough for 24/192 files

thanks
kp93300

The data you posted is for the GPU (graphics processing unit). The GPU is an extra processor that handles the graphics output. It has nothing to do with audio output. The Raspberry Pi has a 700 Mhz ARM processor and since my Alix has a 500Mhz processor and can play 24/192 files without problems my guess is that the Raspberry will have no problem doing it.

One thing one should be aware of is that not all operating systems can be used on the Raspberry since it has an ARM processor. The OS must be compiled for ARM processors if it should work. For example VoyageMPD is one example that will not run on an ARM processor (as far as I know)

Playing 24/192 files is actually not a very demanding task. The problem you had with dropouts probably has nothing to do with processing power but it is more likely that some device has a crappy Windows driver that sometimes will use the CPU a little too long. I have experienced the same problem with a powerful HP laptop.

One thing one should be aware of is that not all operating systems can be used on the Raspberry since it has an ARM processor. The OS must be compiled for ARM processors if it should work. For example VoyageMPD is one example that will not run on an ARM processor (as far as I know)

Since there is already a Debian / ARM distro available (and recommended) for the Pi, and ARM emulators to do the compiling on, it should be fairly easily to build a distibution with equivalent capabilities as VoyageMPD(which is Debian based) (and mpdpup for that matter) for the Raspberry Pi..

I have been toying with angstrom and the beaglebone device that I have (based on a ti arm processor) if I get something positive could provide images suitable for that combination also with optimisations for mpd and music playback.

I'm just at the beginning of my learning curve for embeded linux though so don't expect anything too soon.

I have been toying with angstrom and the beaglebone device that I have (based on a ti arm processor) if I get something positive could provide images suitable for that combination also with optimisations for mpd and music playback.

I'm just at the beginning of my learning curve for embeded linux though so don't expect anything too soon.

Another poster drew my attention to puppy linux. He claimed the quality with the beaglebone was worth investigating. That drew me to discover mpdpup. Here the author takes all the work out of learning linux as he has wizards to configure everything.

Another poster drew my attention to puppy linux. He claimed the quality with the beaglebone was worth investigating. That drew me to discover mpdpup. Here the author takes all the work out of learning linux as he has wizards to configure everything.

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear, I'm not looking for an out of the box mpd system. I have a more expansive plan for the use of beagle bone in my system that includes control/automation as well. I can get around 'normal' linux distros quite painlessly but building/customising/cross-compiling an embeded linux distro is something I want to learn for my own personal curiosity.

I was just letting the waveio users know that my project may later this year (for testing/development version) produce something that I can make available for other users and if I can I will make it so that it can even further remove the entry threshold for those concerned about learning curve associated linux. I am thinking pre-loaded sdcards to make the computer almost an appliance.

When I have something to share I will open up a thread for discussion :)

my wave io came in...

Hi Lucian,

I received the piece-of-art by post yesterday. In perfect order, not broken or bent!
You did such a beautiful job in building the card. Can't imagine how you do it!
I think a leave it on my desk for the next few days just to look at it. After the weekend it has to do were it is designed for,
I`ll let you know how I like it's sound later,
A happy person,
ED

No higher bitrate than 16 connecting via SPDIF-Buff III possible

Hi Lucian and all!

Could not wait longer with just trying the Wave IO on my Buff III.
What I did , after installing your latest drivers, was for simplicity
reason, connecting to the isolated SPdif. USB powered.
Sound was beautiful, but the guy only worked on 16/44.1.

Reinstalled the driver,

Changed USB 3 connection on my PC to USB 2,

Gave him extern power: a 0,5 amp shuntreg (Placid HD from TP, 50mil. shunt),

No change in behavior!

Maybe an idea what I possibly did wrong?
Must say I will eventually use the I2S coax outputs to the Buff III.

Have a nice weekend,

Ed

Last edited:
Hello Ed,
is Windows running on your PC and what type of player are you using? As written on my private reply to you, make sure that your music is not killed by Windows KMixer.sys Try to bypass it by running WaveIO in ASIO, WASAPI or Kernel Streaming mode.
Cheers,
L

Hi, Lorien, Thanks for your reply!

Did not get the E-mail.(until now...)
I work on W7 Ult. 64 bits.
Player is XXHighEnd , latest version.
I managed getting it work up to 24/192! In Wasapi however.
Trying in KS does not work higher than 16/44. Which is a pity because I miss a lot of settings in the program to let it sound optimal.
Maybe I2S-coax works in a different way. I will need some more time to work that out. I'll let you know,
All the best,
Ed