XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Intermittent dropout

Hi
My set up works quite well with Foobar but has intermittent dropouts . This dropouts is very bad with VLC player .
I adjusted the latency to safe and high buffer in the TUSB dialog that comes with the LUCKIT 1.56 driver .

I run the latency monitor program and attached is the print out of the report.

Hope somebody can take a look at the file and advice on this.

I quote ___Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation. Unquote .

How to change the driver for the USB port ?

thanks

kp93300

Attachments

• xmos dropout .pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 156
If I understand you correctly, that's not necessarily going to solve your problem.

BTW, I drive my WaveIO with a 1.1 GHz single-core Atom motherboard (i.e. a quarter or a fifth of the power of your 510) that is too slow even to upsample but I never get dropouts. It's definitely not a processor power issue.

Can you say what OS you use with the D510, what else is connected to it and what, apart from F2K, you run on it, esp AV and "security"?

Hi Ryelands,
I am using 64 bit window7 .
I have removed the antivirus software.
There is a usb mouse , a CD rom, one 500gig hard disk and a samsung monitor tied to the mother board.
When playing at 16 bit 44.1 khz very rare to experience drop out
The dropout occurs more frequently with upsampling to 192 khz and 24 bit.

regards

kp93300

Teralink USB isolator based on ADuM4160

I purchased the board due to the low cost assuming the risk (or certainty?) that it couldn't work with WaveIO.
Yes, it doesn't work with WaveIO.
WaveIO is recognized by my Vista system as Class 1.0 through ADuM and as Class 2.0 with direct link.
Unfortunately the driver doesn't take into consideration a Class 1.0 unit so there's no way to have music played.

Attachments

• usb_direct.jpg
    usb_direct.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 674
  • usb_adum.jpg
    usb_adum.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 663
  • usb_driver_adum.jpg
    usb_driver_adum.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 660
  • usb_WIO_adum.jpg
    usb_WIO_adum.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 657
Hi
My set up works quite well with Foobar but has intermittent dropouts . This dropouts is very bad with VLC player .
I adjusted the latency to safe and high buffer in the TUSB dialog that comes with the LUCKIT 1.56 driver .

I quote ___Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation. Unquote .

thanks

kp93300

first off make sure you have your usb input for Wave connected to the dedicated usb2 of your motherboard., foobar gives you the option of preferences when opening it up to see what is happening when playing a file.
In the preferences you can open the output window and you will see which device is playing ., from there use luckit audio 2.0 among all of the choices given. If using other choices like Luckit Asio driver you might experience dropouts when playing streaming files, so experiment as you go along .
Also in the Foobar components the Asio support 2.1.1 should appear . With that in mind your foobar should work fine . if not well advise .

Hi
I check the drivers and these are as suggested by you.
Playing 16/44.1 files are OK . Anything higher results in drop out evven with Foobar.

regards

kp93300.

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_23-02-45.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-02-45.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 2012-06-04_23-03-10.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-03-10.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 165
  • 2012-06-04_23-03-42.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-03-42.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 2012-06-04_23-02-20.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-02-20.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 158
How long is your USB cable?

Hi

thanks

kp93300

I purchased the board due to the low cost assuming the risk (or certainty?) that it couldn't work with WaveIO.
Yes, it doesn't work with WaveIO.
WaveIO is recognized by my Vista system as Class 1.0 through ADuM and as Class 2.0 with direct link.
Unfortunately the driver doesn't take into consideration a Class 1.0 unit so there's no way to have music played.

I asked the same thing to Lorien and he said that the firmware forces highspeed usb2, therefore it wont work with anything that limits the speed under 480Mbit.
He may release a different firmware in the future.

Hey kp,

Just got my Alix 2D2 booted with mpdpup, really not that hard with the wizards that have been created, and it saw the WaveIO no worries, much less worry than waiting for EMS to update the shipping info!

Obviously Lucian, it arrived today!

Waiting to attach to dac, IV stage is yet to be built as yet too, so noise is a little ways off........except I just realized the Wave outputs SPDIF..........hmmmmmm HT receiver has SPDIF inputs...........I will Terminate and be back!

Sometime.......the joys of running your own business!

Don't be scared of Linux, google mpdpup and it is very easy to install to USB stick, should boot from there I think, you may be able to try on your PC!

Cheers,

Drew.

Thank you Drew for update! About EMS, your parcel was dispatched on 15.05.2012 and it arrived today (06/06/12)... and they say about EMS to be a fast service! Not to mention that there were two weeks when nobody knew what's happen to it nor where it is (lack of infos in EMS database). I have three different parcels for Australia that had the benefit of this "fast" shipping and that's enough for me. Costs does not reflect the quality of services thus I think is better to adopt the "standard" alternative for Australia since, compared to EMS, results seems to be the same... but comes with lower prices.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Hey kp,

Just got my Alix 2D2 booted with mpdpup, really not that hard with the wizards that have been created, and it saw the WaveIO no worries, much less worry than waiting for EMS to update the shipping info!

Drew.

Hi Drew, Thanks for drawing my attention to mpdpup. Very easy to load. I too use Alix with WaveIO. I got sample sound during configuration. It loaded my DB and clearly is playing but no sound. Did you have same problem? I know on VoyageMPD it came up with alsa muted first boot, but I can't find Alsomixer on this to unmute.

Ideas?
Walter

Hey Walter,

Still yet to play as well. havent got to make music mainly cause i havent connected to dac as yet. Have you got the leds connected as yet? Try posting on the forum as mpdpup, Idolse will likelt get back to you soonest, then there is a record for all of us!
Sorting the gear for connection today, so hopefully over the weekend will have a result!

Hi Drew, Thanks for drawing my attention to mpdpup. Very easy to load. I too use Alix with WaveIO. I got sample sound during configuration. It loaded my DB and clearly is playing but no sound. Did you have same problem? I know on VoyageMPD it came up with alsa muted first boot, but I can't find Alsomixer on this to unmute.

Ideas?
Walter

Type
cat /proc/asound/cards
And post the result here.

Ideas?
Walter

Type
cat /proc/asound/cards
And post the result here.

mpdpup problem resolved

Turned out to be alsa mute. I could not figure out how to get alsamixer to run. Turns out command
"amixer -c 1"
got it to go. with that, I could toggle mute on each channel and its now perfect, thanks

Highly recommend mpdpup on ALIX board. Nothing could be easier, Download to music in under an hour. And yet you get bitperfect power of linux/mpd/alsa in 60mb on a dead quiet pc that costs $90. Awesome combined with WaveIO. Of course you need a router ($19) and a NAS (WDMybook$110). Dirt cheap high end transport with 1TB library. Controlled remote via iphone/pad or android. Amazing world in which we live!

Hi wlowes
Can you post some pictures of your set up ?
I am now tinkering with slacko puppy linux and this message is typed based on this linux that is about 125 mb and stored in the ram !
It recognise wave io driver but i have not been able to get sound yet .

thanks

kp93300

Turned out to be alsa mute. I could not figure out how to get alsamixer to run. Turns out command
"amixer -c 1"
got it to go. with that, I could toggle mute on each channel and its now perfect, thanks

Highly recommend mpdpup on ALIX board. Nothing could be easier, Download to music in under an hour. And yet you get bitperfect power of linux/mpd/alsa in 60mb on a dead quiet pc that costs $90. Awesome combined with WaveIO. Of course you need a router ($19) and a NAS (WDMybook$110). Dirt cheap high end transport with 1TB library. Controlled remote via iphone/pad or android. Amazing world in which we live!

Glad to hear you found the problem.

It seems that alsa always mutes WaveIO by default. It never happens with my other DAC connected. I wonder what the reason could be?