XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hello Lucian,
I have the BuffaloIII up and running. Your Wave IO and the Buffalo III is a marriage made in heaven. Never heard a so detailled, transparant and dynamic sound. I'ts not a little step but a giant jump foreward in Sound quality.
Thanks Lucian for sharing this excellent product.
Kind regards,
Henri

Hi PET-240,
I attach a few pictures of my original build. I will rearrange the backplate with all inputs directly behind the 4*SPDIF board.
What I have learned building the DAC is : KEEP INPUT SIGNALS and cables AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE!
Although The combination WaveIO - BuffIII is excellent, the DAC is rather picky about input signals. So you should deliver it signals as clean as possible. But when all is ok, you got you a top class DAC.
kind regards,
Henri
ps.: The interconnection diagram just gives an idea how to place the modules. Connections are not entirely correct.
Henri,

Once I receive boards I will be doing the same, WaveIO to Buffalo III, can you provide pictures and any hints?

Have you tweaked the BIII in any way?

Thanks,

D.

Attachments

• insideBII.jpg
    insideBII.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,085
  • P1050406.JPG
    P1050406.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1,033
  • dacinterconnect1.png
    dacinterconnect1.png
    146 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:
Henri, I can't be sure but it looks as though there is some difference in length of the i2s lines, I think matching length of these wires may be of similar importance to minimising the length, just a thought. Very nice work otherwise!!

A question I have been meaning to ask for a while now. Is it possible to drive one i2s dac from the u.fl connectors and a separate DAC from isol i2s output at same time without damaging/having visits from the nasty blue smoke monsters?

The ground isolation should be better but ......

How to be sure that the two different gnd does not exceed the maximum voltage allowed by IL715, 2500 VRMS Isolation for 1 min. ?

How to connect the 2 power supply gnd to the chassie for the screen ? probably the solution is use only a cap. instead of 100 ohm resistor

Have someone build a comparison test with coax output and IL715 outputs ?

Now I don't know where buy coax cables to use the other outputs.

Hey Lucian,

Is there a thought to make the wave do 384kHz or dsd? Not that I have any at that sample rate.....just curiosity....!

Thanks,

D.
Yes, there are thoughts but if WaveIO will have these features or not, time will tell... If there any chances though, then I'll do my best for these features to be implemented; if not, I would prefer to be silent :)

[...]

mBNC receptacles (U.FL) used for WaveIO can be found here while coax cables here.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:

If you're in search of a cheap option, this is a useful link
Laptop Desktop Notebook Networking WI-FI Card Mini PCI-E U.FL Internal Antenna | eBay

I've just received Lucian's board.
First thing to say is about Lucian, a very kind person, and then, excellent packaging and quick shipping. The card manufacturing is of high quality, professional, I'd say.
My actual setup is based on: AsusF5VL-VistaHP notebook, flac library on external usb hd, foobar 1.1.11 with soX output @96k, std 3m usb cable, externally powered (7808 linear ps) Teralink X2 feeding a TP Opus 8740 via non-isolated I2S.
WaveIO will replace X2 from tomorrow on.

Attachments

• uBNC.jpg
    uBNC.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 752
Last edited: