XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

wlowes:

I have the Alix running with Voyage MPD. It took me less than 30 minutes to get it up and running and I am far from a linux guru. The Voyage manual was very good.

Make sure you have commented out the format line in the mpd config ( ~/.mpdconf) like this;

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "WaveIO"
device "hw:0,0" # optional
# format "44100:16:2" # optional
}

If you do not do so mpd will resample everything to 44.1kHz.

ENSen
That's very encouraging. My CF card with VoyageMPD preloaded is somewhere between HK and Canada. I have the music loaded on the NAS.

How does it sound? I am playing around with mpd.conf settings for secret rabbit code. Next up SOX.

What buffer size are people having best results with? I find higher values 32k or 64k preferable to the 2048 levels suggested in many posts.

Since I have not yet mounted my WaveIO in my DIY dac I have only used the Alix with my commercial DAC which has a very poor USB input. It is clearly there only because someone decided they should have a USB input but they did not put any effort on it. So the only comment I can give regarding sound is that the ALIX itself is totaly quiet (no fans and no HDD)! Which is a big difference to the computer I used as music server before.

I hooked my WaveIO to the beagle bone and linux by usb to see how the drivers would react. 100% success from a software point of view. Device detected and presents to alsa as should be expected.

The version of linux shipping with current beagle bones gives linux 3.2.5 and alsa 1.0.24.2.

From my quick perusal of the voyagempd website it shouldn't be too hard to replicate their tweaks onto the beagle boards. Primary difference is that they are targeting x86 devices where I think ARM devices are more suited to these lower powered devices, most likely no audible differences though.

so I know the speeds on these ARM type devices arent massive, but given a trim linux boot, what sort of equivalent performance are we looking at? just wondering if you could even go so far as to load something like brutfir and use one of the vector processor addons to accelerate it and have an excellent little crossover machine

yeah that was our plan too (hochopeper and I are aligned in our needs somewhat so working together) but the multiple delays and mistakes didnt really instill confidence, I suppose I might still buy one and we can use which works out best in the final solution; theyre that cheap its not a big deal.

so I know the speeds on these ARM type devices arent massive, but given a trim linux boot, what sort of equivalent performance are we looking at? just wondering if you could even go so far as to load something like brutfir and use one of the vector processor addons to accelerate it and have an excellent little crossover machine
Why would you even want to run Linux on a crossover? Just implement the FIR as the only code running - I don't see the need for any other processing to run at the same time.

alternate power sources for WAVE IO

[...]
i would stay away from buying things that claim to be official A123 on ebay. also i can probably put you in contact with my source, i just cant post here and you'll probably have to buy 10.

its borderline OT, but i dont really think this post is, we are discussing alternate power sources for WAVE IO.

To all,

Need some original AR26650? See: Marktplaats.nl > A123 LiFepo4 Accu ar26650 - Hobby en Vrije tijd - Modelbouw | Radiografisch | Vliegtuigen en Helikopters

Cheers,
E.

hmm, well considering that the original 2300mah battery isnt normally marked like that and is actually ANR26650M1A (ANR26650M1B 2500mah one is the new model and the A is nolonger for sale from the manufacturer) I find this listing dubious. also notice he has listed it in his ad as being AR626650 maybe a typo, but this all makes me rather suspicious

Last edited:
Financial mismanagement, resulting in a class-action lawsuit...

A123 Systems Inc (AONE.O) Key Developments | Reuters.com

thanks, it also appears an american factory worker/team at the michigan plant responsible for calibration of alignment on one of the 3 welding machines that caused the recall of $55 million in packs, just as several EV's from major manufacturers were hitting the market, may be looking for another job? funny it seems all of the packs manufactured in China have been ok.... i'm not making a sweeping statement there, but it flies in the face of many peoples opinions.

yeah they over estimated the needs and have too much invested in production lines that arent needed yet. I guess they banked on EVs being more popular by now. this wasnt their first problem, last year was bad for them, again related to expanding too last without enough experienced workers on the floor and bad yield

anyway we'll leave it there, thanks for the info, i'll have to get some of those prismatic packs i've been planning on, seems even the defective packs are going to be fine used singly, its when they are pressed together into large packs that shorts are created due to misalignment. hopefully that means some cheap singles =)

sounds like a group buy is on the cards while we still can, logistics on a bulk lithium battery buy would be significant though

Last edited:
AR26650

hmm, well considering that the original 2300mah battery isnt normally marked like that and is actually ANR26650M1A (ANR26650M1B 2500mah one is the new model and the A is nolonger for sale from the manufacturer) I find this listing dubious. also notice he has listed it in his ad as being AR626650 maybe a typo, but this all makes me rather suspicious

Of course that was a typo, what else?!
Indeed, they look different than a AR26650M1A, but, apart from the solder tabs, the same as in the DeWalt 36V battery packs. See: Dissecting DeWalt 36V Packs (A123 Systems)

A bit more OT, but A123 is about to go belly-up, so get them now if you want them.

I didn't know that. Perhaps I better should keep the batteries myself.;)

Cheers,
E.

my apologies Edmond, I didnt know it was our people listing them, you have to realise these are a very big market for A123 fakes and combined with the model number printed on the battery itself being wrong, the outer cover has different markings to the A123 cells, the solder tabs are different and they are the old stock that hasnt been sold by A123 for nearly a year. it all adds up to signs that would normally make me stay well away as they could very easily, if they were A123 at all, be reclaimed grey market cells with new solder tabs soldered on

i'm not saying you did that, just that looking at the ad I would be sus

but we really should take this to PM if we continue

Last edited:
Released the running firmware on my web page to use AD1955.

I have set the DAC chip with this method:

1) for 44 and 48 KHz Interpolation = 8x MCLK mode = 512 x Fs
2) for 88 and 96 KHz Interpolation = 4x MCLK mode = 256 x Fs
3) for 176 and 192 KHz Interpolation = 2x MCLK mode = 256 x Fs

It should be ok, Lucian can confirm.

@ audiodesign thank you for all your work and for sharing your results with us! Regarding your post above, I guess the latest statement should be:
3) for 176 and 192 KHz Interpolation = 2x MCLK mode = 128 x Fs still, I have to take a look at that DAC... for now it's only a suggestion. Feel free to correct me.

Kind regards,
L

Last edited: