XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

USB Streaming Mode

@ new2hifi: I've forwarded your question to Thesycon as I don't know how that Control Panel was designed nor knowledge about how it works. I'll post their answer right after I'll get it.............

Any news?

Hi Lorien:

I am sorry if the question has been already asked and answered but please help me understand a setting in driver's control panel

USB Streaming Mode
Minimum latency
Low latency
Standard
Relaxed
Extra Safe

Do these settings only relate to buffer size? Any effect on USB streaming/clocking? Do these settings affect jitter at all? Please write in detail.

Thanks

Attachments

• USB Streaming Mode.jpg
    USB Streaming Mode.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 876
nothing to detail, they are just different sizes of the setting for the same buffer. it will depend on your computer and what you are doing with it what setting you will need to set. they are primarily for recording, minimum latency might be used for live performance, where you need the 'instrument' to provide feedback or react quickly to changes you make, like a mixing console etc, relaxed may be used if you are recording with a DAW and need quite a bit of buffer to allow for processor intensive plugins

@ new2hifi: unfortunately I was hit by a dead silence as my email caught Ute in a short holiday. I'll resend my message hoping that it will do something but I do not have strong hopes on that as I'm too small for Thesycon to "see" me :)
I would prefer to send a 'viable' answer directly from one of Thesycon's employee rather than give mine based on presumptions because I do not have access to any code related to that control panel. But, as gusp said above (thank you), it does help you in finding the optimal settings for minimum latency while avoid drops in playback (highly dependent on your PC). For example I try to use the "minimum latency" option almost all the time but switch to "low latency" when my PC is not capable to handle all the related USB streaming due to other extensive tasks.
I hope it helps,
L

There's no problem at all still I do not like the idea that I cannot help you here as I wished to! Anyway, yesterday I sent another email to Thesycon asking the same thing but I was hit by a second silence (again) and I have weak hope that it will change somehow!
As for the BCLK question: 32bit per channel (from which 24 are used for now) * 2 channels (stereo configuration) * 192000 Hz (sample rate desired) = 12.288 MHz freq. I suppose it's in the limits :)
I hope it helps,
Lucian

TDA1541A up to 176.4/192kHz

......As for the BCLK question: 32bit per channel (from which 24 are used for now) * 2 channels (stereo configuration) * 192000 Hz (sample rate desired) = 12.288 MHz freq. I suppose it's in the limits :)
I hope it helps,
Lucian

I was checking the datasheet of PCM1704 (www.ti.com/lit/gpn/pcm1704) and found the following on page 7, their formula is rather different.

Maximum Bit Clock (BCLK) Rate
The maximum BCLK rate is specified as 25MHz. This is
derived from the 8X oversampling of the PCM1704. Given
a 96kHz sampling rate, an 8X oversampling input and a
32-bit frame length, we get:
96kHz • 8 • 32 = 24.576MHz

Nonetheless, can we change the bit frame length of WaveIO from 32 bit to 16bit?

WaveIO works fine with my TDA1541A up to 96kHz. On 176.4/192kHz there is extreme static with low music in background. Datasheet of TDA1541A says the maximum clock is 6.4Mhz. Thus, 176.4/192kHz material should work. However, I suspect it is perhaps too high for this old chip.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
WaveIO works fine with my TDA1541A up to 96kHz. On 176.4/192kHz there is extreme static with low music in background. Datasheet of TDA1541A says the maximum clock is 6.4Mhz. Thus, 176.4/192kHz material should work. However, I suspect it is perhaps too high for this old chip.

The TDA1541a in simultaneous mode (I2S input) accepts up to 96 kHz only as far as I know. For 192 kHz, simultaneous mode with separate data L to pin 3 and data R to pin 4 is required. The WaveIO does not provide this output. Iancanada has something coming out in groupbuy that can do this.

The TDA1541a in simultaneous mode (I2S input) accepts up to 96 kHz only as far as I know. For 192 kHz, simultaneous mode with separate data L to pin 3 and data R to pin 4 is required. The WaveIO does not provide this output. Iancanada has something coming out in groupbuy that can do this.

Thanks Ben!

I went through the thread and it seems iancanada has some problem too with normal continuous clock operation, read the post #389.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/220407-drive-nos-ad1865-62-pcm1704-02-63-tda1541-fifo-universal-i2s-pcm-driver-board-39.html#post3462438

Drivers don't need to be updated as are reported to be stable... not to mention that there's nothing new from XMOS on this side. Firmware, though, is another story. I managed to make WaveIO work on 32/384 but the software is not fully tested. I could release a bin file and make a pdf with instructions on how to update the EEPROM contents but only if there are few who want to become beta testers. :rolleyes:
Kind regards,
L

The TDA1541 accepts up to 176,4 kHz (4-f OS) and the A-version higher even in 8-fold OS:

FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION
The TDA1541A accepts input sample formats in time multiplexed mode or simultaneous mode up to 16-bit word length.
The most significant bit (MSB) must always be first. The flexible input data format allows easy interfacing with signal processing chips such as interpolation filters, error correction circuits, pulse code modulation adaptors and XMOS digital signal processors (DSP).
The high maximum input bit-rate and fast setting facilitates application in 8 ´ oversampling systems (44.1 kHz to 352.8 kHz or 48 kHz to 384 kHz) with the associated simple analog filtering function (low order, linear phase
filter).

The chip documentation does not specify that a specific mode is needed for a higher rate.

But I have seen that Philips some way or another pushed the chip into a 18-bits mode. And I remember this was the case in the Sony DAS R1.

Dear Lorien ... Can you share with us your project timeline for the Daughter board to be completed? Many thanks! :)
Today or tomorrow I'll finally finish the actual design which, I guess, few of you already know something about it but I'll post the details when is done. As usual, it was turned to layout stage right before the manufacturer was ready to build the masks for the PCB as I had to make some last minute changes to improve its functionality. Beating designs to death and squeezing all what's left of it is something usual now and I'm used to that! The bottom line is that I'll be fully devoted to daughter card after this new board will be done.

Hi Lorien,
Can you let me know if there will be many issues getting I2S working with the Najda board ? I am looking for a USB I2S solution for Najda.
I believe you and Nick are working on a soultion.
Regards Peter.
I do not know yet why there's a problem wiring WaveIO to Najda card when things are looking good to me (?)... at least from theoretical side! Anyway, we're working together to find the source of the problem and solve it thus the first step will be to exchange boards and run few parallel tests in same configuration. For now I'll wait for him to come back to office, which I guess it will be tomorrow, and send the test WaveIO board asap.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited: