XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 223 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2014, 05:01 PM   #2221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrling View Post
Yes - I think so too. Strange though as I installed 2.23 before without issue, and haven't changed the set-up of 2012R2.

Have you noticed any SQ improvement with 2.24?

Jonathan
Yes, I noticed an improvement, but I also noticed that it is depends on what musical material you are listening. Feel that resolution of highs have increased.
At moment I am testing the Exasound U2I board and trying to compare SQ between WaveIO, Exa and Amanero. A really difficult task! Every board has is pros and cons.
Regards
Sigi
Old 27th November 2014, 11:36 AM   #2222
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi All

I’ve been using Lucian’s waveIO now for a number of years and whist I’ve tried other cards I still keep coming back to my trusty Wave board.

Just love its rich ‘’analogue’’ sound.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/188902-xmos-based-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface-19.html

Time flies when you are having fun and my DAC has changed to a Buffalo3/Legato.

After reading the tweak of removing U11 I did get to the stage of lifting the lid with small screwdriver in hand but just could not butcher my old friend that way.

So I decided that it may be time to buy another.

I asked Lucian if he could supply the new board without U11 fitted which he did and also sent me a new pre-programmed EEPROM memory chip to allow the old board to be upgraded.

One thing that truly impressed me was that he remembered who I was after all of the time that has passed. Mr Memory.

The new board is up to the usual immaculate soldering and cleanliness.

Ok I’ve had the chance to compare the boards back to back with interesting results.

The new board definitely sounds more open.spacious and 3D in its presentation. It sounds fresher and more real to my ears and in my set up.

Quite a nice step forward IMHO and one hard not to notice.

Thanks again for the nice board Lucian.
Old 27th November 2014, 01:48 PM   #2223
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I asked Lucian if he could supply the new board without U11 fitted
What function does U11 have?
Old 27th November 2014, 02:31 PM   #2224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
What function does U11 have?
S/PDIF
Old 27th November 2014, 06:39 PM   #2225
diyAudio Member

@ shoom: Thank you!
@ Ryssen: it's the flip-flop chip used to reclock the SPDIF signal prior sending it to output port(s).
Cheers,
L
Old 27th November 2014, 06:59 PM   #2226
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Shoom heard what I heard. WaveIO keeps getting better.

Interesting you have the ability to do a comparison test to go back to the early vintage to confirm it is not your audio imagination. When it improves we quickly adapt and the new sound becomes standard. Interesting to go back and see how much of a difference it makes.
Old 28th November 2014, 04:55 PM   #2227
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
It's always something!
diyAudio Member

Default we quickly adapt and the new sound becomes standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Shoom heard what I heard. WaveIO keeps getting better.

Interesting you have the ability to do a comparison test to go back to the early vintage to confirm it is not your audio imagination. When it improves we quickly adapt and the new sound becomes standard. Interesting to go back and see how much of a difference it makes.
How true!
On a different note, I recently compared wi-fi to an ethernet cable connection to pipe ripped cds and internet streamed music to a lap top, Trashiba Satellite L775 Intel I3 which connects to the WaveIO/TP Sabre Buffalo 32-II via a 12ft. usb cable.
The ethernet cable gives a more fluid analog like presentation. Instruments harmonic overtones are revealed which are missing/diminished using wi-fi.

WaveIO>Buffalo 32-II>Legato III>PASS F5 clone>SEAS Thor

add: I believe this is why one day the sys sounds good and the next can be pffttt! The wi-fi probably has interferences that interfere with transmission on different days / times. YMMV

Last edited by ichiban; 28th November 2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 29th November 2014, 10:55 PM   #2228
diyAudio Member

Should I buy this?

I haven't read the entire thread yet but I noticed some posts detailing removal of the IC?

Is there going to be a second version soon or should I get one?
diyaudio is against your rights. I do not have the right to be forgotten and after asking the issue has been ignored, therefore I'm leaving (peacefully) for this reason. I stand up for my rights. So long and thanks for all the Fish
Old 29th November 2014, 11:55 PM   #2229
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default It is a winner

If you need a USB to I2S converter, this is the one. Really great sound and great service from Lorian the designer/builder/service dpt. You will not be disappointed. Expect some weeks delay in delivery as these are hand assembled but worth the wait.

The discussion about removing an IC is that if you have no need for SPIFD then it can be disabled to squeeze out the last drop of performance.
Old 30th November 2014, 12:19 AM   #2230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
If you need a USB to I2S converter, this is the one. Really great sound and great service from Lorian the designer/builder/service dpt. You will not be disappointed. Expect some weeks delay in delivery as these are hand assembled but worth the wait.
Thanks for that.

I'm in the process of buying one.

Seems such a waste on a TDA1541 or TDA1543 though it should be the perfect companion for it haha.
diyaudio is against your rights. I do not have the right to be forgotten and after asking the issue has been ignored, therefore I'm leaving (peacefully) for this reason. I stand up for my rights. So long and thanks for all the Fish

Last edited by freax; 30th November 2014 at 12:23 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!