XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Thanks, very helpfull :)

Which power supply did you use before?

I used the DDDAC power supply, but 12V version tuned down to 5V DC. I found that the 12V version sounded better than 5V version.

In addition to using 12V version in place of the suggested 5V version, I removed all WIMA's and used SMD capacitors. I also added some extra SMD caps at the places that did not originally have the caps. The electrolytes are a combination of Silmic II and Black Gate N. The rectifier diodes were also replaced with very fast TO220 versions. I used my experience in selecting the electrolytes and SMD caps, together with noise measurements, to achieve outstanding results. The whole process took around 1 year.

And then I added the LT3045-78XX Ultra Low Noise LDO Voltage Regulator which brought further, major improvements. Simply stunning, as I already mentioned few times.

I strongly believe the LT3045 should exclusively be used for all digital sections / PCB’s in a digital audio sound reproduction chain.

I strongly believe the LT3045 should exclusively be used for all digital sections / PCB’s in a digital audio sound reproduction chain.
Hi,

How much heat is generated when powering WaveIO at ~500mA.. and running close to limits?.. measurement suggest 0.4A 80% ok at 192kHz...

I'm using salas regulators and the heat created with 0.5A is considerable even with double stacked heatsinks.. I'm thinking to change over.. that and for Ian FIFO as well... seems it would reduce in chassis temp very considerably and without sonic penalty?

What sort of filtering are you using before the regulator.. vs salas reg, has tech really come this far in three or four years?... this could be great !!

Cheers,
Shane

Last edited:
A quick update on NDKs SDA parts: I have been told that I'll have them one week sooner than expected so I'll have to pay for the goods pretty soon thus I'll get in touch with all of you interested in having such parts for your boards.
Other than that, for now I dropped the idea to build up the small add-on board because initially I thought to add some decoupling parts on it (close to the new NDK oscillators) but I don't know what result will have thus I drop in replacement is the best idea to cope with for now!

Kind regards,
L

Hello,

I've read a bunch of posts here and didn't find the final info regarding the +5V and ground on USB cable. My system (daphile) wont recognize WaveIO without +5V on USB (using J1 connector) as others reported and plays nicely once started and +5V removed. My question is would it be safe/OK to bring 'external' +5V & Gnd to the J1 USB connector? Same one powering J13 connector? :)

Ivan

@ beardman: best driver for WaveIO is the one you like it most (from the sound perspective)! There were plenty of feedbacks from WaveIO owners saying that WASAPI is a real 'competitor' to ASIO but I was told by Thesycon to stick with the latter one. Perhaps that's the reason why you feel ASIO is a but cleaner? :)
So, in my perspective, I would say that on the theoretical level you should try ASIO but from the practical one: feel free to use whatever you like it most!

@ ikaselj: PLEASE keep the USB GND wire intact meaning that it should be a direct connection between GND of WaveIO and GND of your host (PC) through USB cable. I tried various wirings, including cutting that GND wire and after I did this I came to conclusion that without GND, WaveIO will NOT be seen at USB enumeration so please keep that connection intact!

As for the USB +5Vdc wire, it should work if you'll cut it and wire the external 5V PSU instead! Frankly, I remember there's a VUSB pin on USB ULPI chip interface that's using the USB +5V wire to detect the voltage presence when the USB cable is plugged in. I have no clear idea what this means if you'll route that connection to your external PSU's positive rail but it's worth trying! Anyway, if you'll see that your WaveIO is start acting weird then I'm afraid that you should stick with both USB power connections! Perhaps there's a particularity of your setup...

Kind regards,
L

@ ikaselj: PLEASE keep the USB GND wire intact meaning that it should be a direct connection between GND of WaveIO and GND of your host (PC) through USB cable. I tried various wirings, including cutting that GND wire and after I did this I came to conclusion that without GND, WaveIO will NOT be seen at USB enumeration so please keep that connection intact!

As for the USB +5Vdc wire, it should work if you'll cut it and wire the external 5V PSU instead! Frankly, I remember there's a VUSB pin on USB ULPI chip interface that's using the USB +5V wire to detect the voltage presence when the USB cable is plugged in. I have no clear idea what this means if you'll route that connection to your external PSU's positive rail but it's worth trying! Anyway, if you'll see that your WaveIO is start acting weird then I'm afraid that you should stick with both USB power connections! Perhaps there's a particularity of your setup...

Thanks Lorien. I will try to reroute +5V.
So although there is +5V on USB, further processing is done on separate power supply? As that seems to be main concern for people trying to use USB cable without power line?

Ivan

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but is the DIYINHK v3.34 driver available still? I have a Gustard X20u DAC that I need DSD256 from a Win 10 mini PC, & I know that this has been a successful driver to accomplish this.

Will the current v3.38 driver work to this end, or has anyone tried it for the Gustard X20u?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

@ brother love: :)
I'm assuming the "DIYINHK v3.34 driver" is available, why won't you ask him? Or, better ask Gustard for drivers... wouldn't this be a better choice? But hey, I know drivers can be hacked! So many do this for a couple of years so I cannot blame you.. stealing from others is a way of living now :D
Back to the WaveIO, to all interested, yesterday I got a fresh driver version from Thesycon: v4.14. It's not even listed on their site at this moment but I guess working hard and avoid stealing pays off!
I'm stil having to customize it and build up the archive but if there's anyone interested to have a copy just let me know!

Ah, and for those really interested in having it, you do need to be one of my customer or have one of my boards to get it!
EDIT: at least, this is what I'm asking against my free driver updating service!

Kind regards,
Lucian

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I would like to use a better quality XMOS USB card that has 2 rows of pin connections in the place of 7-pin XMOS card version for my AK4495 DAC. Would you know what pins to connect in order to match to 7-pin card?
SPDF
GND
DSD
MCK
LRCK
BCK
DATA

To connect this card: Shared album - Mykhailo M - Google Photos

To Mach 7 Pin DAC board with this XMOS Card: Shared album - Mykhailo M - Google Photos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks a lot

Sorry, I have no experience with any of the better cards you're speaking about. If it were about WaveIO (for which this thread was built) then I would help you but I see no WaveIO traces in your pictures. I do suggest to try and found the dedicated thread for your board (if there's any on this forum). By the looks in our pictures it comes close to Amanero but since chinese copycats are cloning their own ideas I cannot be certain about my statement.
Good luck,
L

EDIT: on a closer look: I made a mistake, is not Amanero.