XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Ah, regarding DSD, all seems to be fine here except the fact that DFU isn't working with versions you all have on your WaveIO's EE chips :( Until I'll solve this I have no intention to release a "faulty" .bin image! After than, maybe there will be some of you who can send me some feedback regarding how good (or bad) this new firmware is running on your PCs...
The main goal for me is to allow all WaveIOs to be reversed back to "defaults" without issues.
Cheers,
L

P.S. The new driver will clearly have Windows 10 support, as Thesycon said!

I know there are some of you which PM me asking for latest version of drivers and can read this post: I'm sorry for my late reaction but I wished you to have the *latest* driver version to this moment, which is v3.26
Since I had some troubles in getting it (with 100% my fault! :confused:) causing additional delays, now I'm customizing it and, if all good, starting from today evening I'll source it to all those who asked a copy from me!

Thank you for understanding, :snail:
Lucian

Dear Lorien,
I done connect my WaveIO to my Raspberry PI, using RuneAudio OS for playing music. It working fine on about 30 minutes. Then the WaveIO is disconnect & re-connect loop from RuneAudio OS(base on ArchLinux), and stop playing music :-(

Below is log from RuneAudio, please help about this issue
[ 3132.211885] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 3132.211997] usb 1-1.5: cannot submit urb (err = -19)
[ 3132.446252] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
[ 3132.547324] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3132.547353] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3132.547372] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3132.547387] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3132.547403] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
[ 3191.611824] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 5
[ 3191.846250] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
[ 3191.947120] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3191.947140] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3191.947152] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3191.947163] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3191.947173] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
[ 3212.094469] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 3212.336291] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 7 using dwc_otg
[ 3212.437103] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3212.437125] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3212.437136] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3212.437147] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3212.437158] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
[ 3216.168058] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: cannot set freq 44100 (v2): err -71
[ 3216.191051] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 3216.436291] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
[ 3216.537402] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3216.537432] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3216.537450] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3216.537466] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3216.537481] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
[ 3218.239390] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 8
[ 3218.476292] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
[ 3218.577160] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3218.577182] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3218.577194] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3218.577205] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3218.577215] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
[ 3224.384205] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 9
[ 3224.626300] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 10 using dwc_otg
[ 3224.727424] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3224.727454] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3224.727472] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3224.727488] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3224.727503] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
[ 3226.432390] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 10
[ 3226.666344] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 11 using dwc_otg
[ 3226.767063] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=4143
[ 3226.767085] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3226.767096] usb 1-1.5: Product: Luckit USB Audio 2.0
[ 3226.767107] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Luckit
[ 3226.767117] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0330
Thanks!

Hi phuongdk,
first let's make sure that your hardware is set properly! Most of the issues I encounter (despite software...) were related to hardware instability. The biggest problem is the one tied to power supply. Make sure that whatever PSU is feeding your WaveIO, is able to source at least 0.38A @ 5Vdc. This current value goes up if you'll play higher sample rate tracks.
Secondly, check the USB cable! Make sure is a *normal* one having a length no more than 1,5 - 2 meters. Back to PSU, I just remember that it would be better to remove the jumpers on J8 and J12 (but retain their positions) and put them back again. Those parasitic resistances (especially on J12 - for the power supply) could bring you nasty things!
Third, if you are powering your WaveIO from an USB port just leave the idea! Do yourself a good thing and embrace the idea of an external PSU. I'll avoid suggesting you a particular one as I'm sure you can find it on your own!
On the other hand, if there's a software problem then I'm rather scarce in offering you solutions regarding RPI only because not I'm fighting with other stubborn 'things' and my time is rather limited!
Anyway, I'm quit confident that some other WaveIO owners could help you regarding your problem, if not here, on other forums / threads!

Speaking about little damn things that can make my life miserable, after some struggle I managed to build up a new firmware for WaveIOs which is capable to source you DoP64/128 and Native DSD64/128 and 256.
At least this are the new features that WaveIO hardware is able to support!
The firmware is located here (uploaded few minutes ago)...
I ask some of you for help, to report back any issues you might encounter and I can solve! Some upgrading infos (related to Windows for now...) can be found here
It's a bit outdated but I didn't had proper time to update it. All of you who knows how to update your cards are welcomed to try it out. This .bin file is able to revert back your WaveIOs to "default" firmware configuration thus if there's something that you don't like you can upload your desired firmware version. I leaved all there on luckit.biz website in case are needed!
Thank you very much,
Lucian

Hi Lucian,

it seems so that all my problem mit "max up sampling" on OS X are gone, 5 hours without any problems. :eek::D
As i wrote, i had before with the older fw at 32/384 a lot of "sync" problems, only 24/384 was ok.

Thanks for this new firmware, i will test it some days and report back!

P.S.: Together withe the DAM + Audirvana + Aleph J and Spendor BC1, mmmmmmmhhhhhh!

Last edited:
WaveIO_DSD256_Test.bin firmware

Hi Lorien,

just upgraded to this firmware for the DSD improvements. I am please to say the issues seem to have been resolved identified by NickD. :D (see earlier posts).

FYI: Just noticed one issue with DFU. I upgraded to 06C6 (this bin file) but then tried to go back to previous WaveIO_DSD_Test.bin file to check the DSD issue definitely resolved. On trying this the card revision went back to rev 0331 and I could not get the firmware changed until I used DFUCONS and used the factory option. Then I was able to go back to WaveIO_DSD256_Test.bin

Using ALIX pc engine, voyage mpd so I cannot comment on new windows drivers.

Many thanks for the new firmware,

Steve

Hi Lorien,

just upgraded to this firmware for the DSD improvements. I am please to say the issues seem to have been resolved identified by NickD. :D (see earlier posts).

FYI: Just noticed one issue with DFU. I upgraded to 06C6 (this bin file) but then tried to go back to previous WaveIO_DSD_Test.bin file to check the DSD issue definitely resolved. On trying this the card revision went back to rev 0331 and I could not get the firmware changed until I used DFUCONS and used the factory option. Then I was able to go back to WaveIO_DSD256_Test.bin

Using ALIX pc engine, voyage mpd so I cannot comment on new windows drivers.

Many thanks for the new firmware,

Steve

Actually further info. Looks as though my tests are running DoP and I need to switch to native DSD. Need more time to test. Will post back when tested further.

Hello Steve! Thank you very much for all your help, it's really appreciated! Regarding your note on that DFU 'issue', firstly I want to say that the EEPROM chip on any WaveIO shipped around the world (thus including yours) is capable to store up to maximum two firmware images: the "default one" - which cannot be erased (at least I hope so :) ) and any new firmware you like to have on your WaveIO. Obviously, the reasons are simply related to memory capacity...
In your case, your WaveIO already had the memory chip full with two firmwares: the default one and "WaveIO_DSD_Test.bin" (- your choice, which was running on your Wave board).
If in this case you want to upload another firmware (a third one), this process will NOT work because there's no space left for it! Sadly, from unknown reasons to me (yet), overwriting "WaveIO_DSD_Test.bin" with "WaveIO_DSD256_Test.bin" -as you already tried- will not work unless you'll bring back your card in "default" state using dfucons.
So, taking all above into account, that DFU "issue" you are telling about is in fact a 'normal' operation. Obviously, I wished it could be a better and simpler alternative to it but for the moment the main goal to me is to make DSD/DoP/PCM streams working okay.
Yes, there are also some issues with LED indicators but I'm working on that too and I'll let you know when there is a new firmware version to test!
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Hi Lucian, I just finished my dac and Im enjoying listening to it. Its been in bench mode for too long:)
I have just tried my first 192Khz album and it has clicking and distortion. Any idea what might be wrong? Dac is a Buffalo 32s. I'm using foobar2000 latest version and usb 2.0 on an acer desktop pc.

Thanks Lorien,
From your support, on 2nd step, I had changed to the new USB cable, and wow, my WaveIO now working fine without problem, love it :).

Hi phuongdk,
first let's make sure that your hardware is set properly! Most of the issues I encounter (despite software...) were related to hardware instability. The biggest problem is the one tied to power supply. Make sure that whatever PSU is feeding your WaveIO, is able to source at least 0.38A @ 5Vdc. This current value goes up if you'll play higher sample rate tracks.
Secondly, check the USB cable! Make sure is a *normal* one having a length no more than 1,5 - 2 meters. Back to PSU, I just remember that it would be better to remove the jumpers on J8 and J12 (but retain their positions) and put them back again. Those parasitic resistances (especially on J12 - for the power supply) could bring you nasty things!
Third, if you are powering your WaveIO from an USB port just leave the idea! Do yourself a good thing and embrace the idea of an external PSU. I'll avoid suggesting you a particular one as I'm sure you can find it on your own!
On the other hand, if there's a software problem then I'm rather scarce in offering you solutions regarding RPI only because not I'm fighting with other stubborn 'things' and my time is rather limited!
Anyway, I'm quit confident that some other WaveIO owners could help you regarding your problem, if not here, on other forums / threads!

Speaking about little damn things that can make my life miserable, after some struggle I managed to build up a new firmware for WaveIOs which is capable to source you DoP64/128 and Native DSD64/128 and 256.
At least this are the new features that WaveIO hardware is able to support!
The firmware is located here (uploaded few minutes ago)...
I ask some of you for help, to report back any issues you might encounter and I can solve! Some upgrading infos (related to Windows for now...) can be found here
It's a bit outdated but I didn't had proper time to update it. All of you who knows how to update your cards are welcomed to try it out. This .bin file is able to revert back your WaveIOs to "default" firmware configuration thus if there's something that you don't like you can upload your desired firmware version. I leaved all there on luckit.biz website in case are needed!
Thank you very much,
Lucian

@ phuongdk: I'm very glad it worked!

@ Luke: there are quite a few reasons for which you can get clicking noise, some related to hardware side and some to software.
Below I'll make a short list (from what I can remember right now) of things that should be taken into account when you are using a WaveIO:
1. PSU: make sure that your PSU is sourcing at least 0.38A @ 5Vdc. If you're feeding your Wave board from an USB port then you can run a short test by changing it with another free one and see if there are some improvements! (maybe trying your board on a different computer?)
2. To not forget: any USB Hubs or "jitter cleaners" placed between your laptop and WaveIO could give you troubles so please try to make your audio setup running with base parts / components mounted on it. You can add them later!
3. I assume that your WaveIO stood for quite a long time: given this please remove both jumpers on J8 and (especially) on J12 and put them back again for a few times in a row just to make sure that you will remove any parasitic resistance that could be there... A better alternative would be to replace those jumpers with new ones!
4. As it happened to phuongdk, try and change the USB cable if you have any doubts! Any 1-2 meters one should be okay.
5. On TUSBAudio Control Panel @ "Buffer Settings" tab you'll find two options: USB Streaming Mode (which, for the beginning, must be set on "Safe") and "ASIO Buffer Size" which you should leave for "Auto".
Ah, all above are valid if you are going to use ASIO output and not KS, WASAPI and so on... Again, for testing purposes please use ASIO! Later on you can freely change it with whatever you like/works on your laptop.
6. I'm assuming you're using an I2S port! I don't know if it's the isolated one or not but in any cases you have to be careful with any I2S wires/cables used there! All I2S wires should NOT have different lengths AND all I2S wires should have a length less than 10 cm. I'm usually using 5cm and is fine here...
Well, that's what I remember right now! I usually squeeze my brain to offer more infos when needed but today is a special day for me thus, with your approval, I'll leave it "as is" for now! Starting from tomorrow, things will get back to 'normality'.
FYI, I'm using an Acer laptop too (a bit old one: 8930G) with latest Foobar version + Win 7x64 + 3.26 Drivers and all is okay here so you have plenty of chances to succeed!

Have a beautiful day to all,
Lucian :birthday:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/luke.html

Hi Lucian, I just finished my dac and Im enjoying listening to it. Its been in bench mode for too long:)
I have just tried my first 192Khz album and it has clicking and distortion. Any idea what might be wrong? Dac is a Buffalo 32s. I'm using foobar2000 latest version and usb 2.0 on an acer desktop pc.

Hi Luke,

I assume you check it already :

Are you on Windows ? Which Wave I/O driver ? Did you output from the isolated output or the non isolated output ? Did you check the speed straps on the Wave I/O pcb

Have you somewhere to feed the hi-fi a multi-socket mains extension with integral mains filter and mains surge protection ? If yes, try to supress it for a multi-socket without filtering & protection stuffs and be sure all your devices are pluged to the same elec wall socket (also laptop feeded on the same wall socket than the hifi if not on battery).

You can also try a red book you can upsampling with free Audaticy soft to try all the upsampled frequencies.

I'm sure Lucian has the good answer but those checks if not made yet can help to find the source of your problem...

best regards

Eldam

(PS @ Lucian: hey Lucian , happy-birthday d-day for you ??? Very Happy Birthday if yes :) ! )

Last edited:

@ Luke: there are quite a few reasons for which you can get clicking noise, some related to hardware side and some to software.
Below I'll make a short list (from what I can remember right now) of things that should be taken into account when you are using a WaveIO:
1. PSU: make sure that your PSU is sourcing at least 0.38A @ 5Vdc. If you're feeding your Wave board from an USB port then you can run a short test by changing it with another free one and see if there are some improvements! (maybe trying your board on a different computer?)
2. To not forget: any USB Hubs or "jitter cleaners" placed between your laptop and WaveIO could give you troubles so please try to make your audio setup running with base parts / components mounted on it. You can add them later!
3. I assume that your WaveIO stood for quite a long time: given this please remove both jumpers on J8 and (especially) on J12 and put them back again for a few times in a row just to make sure that you will remove any parasitic resistance that could be there... A better alternative would be to replace those jumpers with new ones!
4. As it happened to phuongdk, try and change the USB cable if you have any doubts! Any 1-2 meters one should be okay.
5. On TUSBAudio Control Panel @ "Buffer Settings" tab you'll find two options: USB Streaming Mode (which, for the beginning, must be set on "Safe") and "ASIO Buffer Size" which you should leave for "Auto".
Ah, all above are valid if you are going to use ASIO output and not KS, WASAPI and so on... Again, for testing purposes please use ASIO! Later on you can freely change it with whatever you like/works on your laptop.
6. I'm assuming you're using an I2S port! I don't know if it's the isolated one or not but in any cases you have to be careful with any I2S wires/cables used there! All I2S wires should NOT have different lengths AND all I2S wires should have a length less than 10 cm. I'm usually using 5cm and is fine here...
Well, that's what I remember right now! I usually squeeze my brain to offer more infos when needed but today is a special day for me thus, with your approval, I'll leave it "as is" for now! Starting from tomorrow, things will get back to 'normality'.
FYI, I'm using an Acer laptop too (a bit old one: 8930G) with latest Foobar version + Win 7x64 + 3.26 Drivers and all is okay here so you have plenty of chances to succeed!

Hi Lucian, happy Birthday:)

1./ Yes, this looks certain, I tried as Eldam suggested to use the USB power and this had no effect. The LM317 is capable of an amp IIRC and the cable run is less than 10cm. The transformer is 50VA, so no problems there.

2./ No such things in line.

3:/ This is a new build, I am confident there is good contact for ext power connector and I also added a wind of fuse wire to the J8 jumper. It is 0 ohms.

4./ tried this , no difference

5./ I use ASIO, there is no auto setting. Its set to 2048. My driver version is V2.24.0.

6./ I use I2S, wires are 10.5 cm. It is as small as I can get this given the amount of things I have in a confined space.

Anything else come to mind? Maybe new software version may help? BTW, OS is win 7.

Last edited:

Hi Luke,

I assume you check it already :

Are you on Windows ? Which Wave I/O driver ? Did you output from the isolated output or the non isolated output ? Did you check the speed straps on the Wave I/O pcb

Have you somewhere to feed the hi-fi a multi-socket mains extension with integral mains filter and mains surge protection ? If yes, try to supress it for a multi-socket without filtering & protection stuffs and be sure all your devices are pluged to the same elec wall socket (also laptop feeded on the same wall socket than the hifi if not on battery).

You can also try a red book you can upsampling with free Audaticy soft to try all the upsampled frequencies.

I'm sure Lucian has the good answer but those checks if not made yet can help to find the source of your problem...

best regards

Eldam

(PS @ Lucian: hey Lucian , happy-birthday d-day for you ??? Very Happy Birthday if yes :) ! )

Hi Eldam, Its win 7, V2.24.0 driver. I use isolated outputs. Im not sure how to check the speed straps. Do I need external leds connected?