XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 127 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 07:41 AM   #1261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post
Then I received you WaveIO module a couple days ago. I didn't have time to try it out right away until this afternoon. I replaced the TE7022 with your WaveIO and connect to the same DAC through isolated spdif port.

Wow.... I was very surprised. The difference is like day and night.
Hi tagheuer, I experienced something similar passing from Teralink X2 (based on Tenor) to Lucian's WaveIO. My difference was not so huge (I used X2 -> I2S -> TP Opus) but clearly noticeable, particularly in the treble area and microdetails.
I'd like to suggest you another cheap improvement I experienced very recently.
Some month ago I purchased a usb isolator board based on ADuM4160 but it didn't work with WaveIO (as expected) and it has been on a shelf from then.
Some days ago I inserted the board on the usb connection between the
external HD when my library is located and the notebook, just for a test
before listing it on eBay. The external HD has always been powered by the stock
switching power supply.
The improvement in sound quality was immediately clear especially in
the treble that are less harsh than before.

Last edited by m.massimo; 29th September 2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 29th September 2012, 08:28 AM   #1262
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ozlegend
Default Great product!

Hi Lorien

The WaveIO arrived late yesterday (Friday) thanks but I did not have time until this morning to set it up - which took under an hour including adding an RCA socket & downloading/installing drivers for Win7. I am using its isolated S/PDIF output until DEQX sort out the firmware for I2S input - and your daughter board arrives! I am also using an AQVOX power supply which I bought some time ago for my Hiface that cuts the normal USB PS & inserts its own regulated analog +5V.

It sounds excellent - very natural & unforced but very dynamic on my DEQX-active Tikandi loudspeakers - and significantly better than anything else I have tried: Hiface, Halide, Audiophillio etc. Even listened to Handel's Messiah while watching the Aussie Rules Grand Final. So many thanks for a great product!

Cheers
Rod
Old 29th September 2012, 09:12 AM   #1263
apoo is offline apoo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Lorien,

does/will the WaveIO support native DSD64/128 files?

apoo
Old 29th September 2012, 09:50 AM   #1264
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Question from a real beginner:
On j10 spdif, hot point is on the square pin, but to use the galvanic j11, do i need to put the hot point (center of my coax cable) into the one called spdif, a rounded hole and leave isol called square one for outside of the cable ?

Thanks for your help
Old 29th September 2012, 10:00 AM   #1265
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed

Hi,
I read you used isolated spdif and i would ned a small support on it.
Can you just clarify for me the isolated connexion on j11: inside ( hot) on the square, called isol or rounded hoe ( called spdif) as lorian gave me direction for j10 and same time recommended not to use it

Thanks for your possible help

Francois
Old 29th September 2012, 12:38 PM   #1266
diyAudio Member

Oups, sorry for sending it twice
Old 29th September 2012, 02:14 PM   #1267
Sandor is offline Sandor  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'd like to connect a WaveIo board to the I2S input of a TDA1541A. Some posts in this thread were not so clear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Unfortunately the LSB also gets mangled, so its not bitperfect for the older DAC's. Unfortunately I think this is a unirversal issue all asynch usb with the only exception being the proporitary Rankin firmware (not a plug more a cry for help as I hate the idea of hacking up a Legato to build an asynch USB-I2S TDA1541 DAC.)
regal, I'm afraid I've not perfectly understood the issue with the LSB being mangled. Could you please elaborate a little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
I have no doubt that guys like ECDESIGN are building more resolved version of the 1541a. I do use DEM reclocking from his site but again, no flip flop. I take the WS signal at 44.1kHz. It is lower than optimal but light years ahead of the stock 470pF cap done spec'd by Phillips. I am going to play around with using the clock feeds from Lucien's board (88.2) to double the speed of the DEM signal without messing with more components. But that is in the future, as I am pretty happy with this initial setup.
wlowes, how can you obtain 88.2 KHz from Lucian's board?

Thanks a lot.

Paul
Old 29th September 2012, 03:03 PM   #1268
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.massimo View Post
Some month ago I purchased a usb isolator board based on ADuM4160 but it didn't work with WaveIO (as expected) and it has been on a shelf from then.
Some days ago I inserted the board on the usb connection between the
external HD when my library is located and the notebook, just for a test
before listing it on eBay. The external HD has always been powered by the stock
switching power supply.
The improvement in sound quality was immediately clear especially in
the treble that are less harsh than before.
Hi Massimo,

Thanks for the info on USB isolator. Currently I'm using a CAPS 2.0 music server and use SOtM tX-USB Audiophile PCI to USB Audio Card for output. The internal solid state HD is filtered by SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter. The difference is quite noticeable as compare to direct USB port from the motherboard.

I suspect maybe the spdif converter at the USB-TE7022 card is not good. So the next thing I want to do is to bypass spdif conversion on both USB-TE7022 and DAC-AK4396 and use I2S signals to connect both cards.
But may I'll give a try on the ADuM4160 some day. Just to satisfy my own curiosity since you recommend it.

Cheers all...
Old 29th September 2012, 03:38 PM   #1269
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
I'd like to connect a WaveIo board to the I2S input of a TDA1541A.

Paul
Hi Paul,
See post #1084. I use L5 pin as a source of 176.4Khz for DEM. I generally listen to 44.1 material although quite nice at 88.2 as well.

DEM reclocking provides nice SQ pop. This 176.4 clock source just makes it more liquid and removes any hint of harsh edge to the upper registers. FYI my 1541 has fully tweaked power and tube output. I2S from J2-5. Transport is MPDPUP on Alix. All together this pairing is WaveIO is pure magic IMHO.
Old 29th September 2012, 03:46 PM   #1270
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post

Paul
Paul, if you are asking how to play at 88.2, just hook up the non isolated I2S output from WaveIO using the connectors described. I solder direct to the pins of the 1541 and it works fine. Don't forget gnd. Some people claim signal needs attenuation. I just use it direct from WaveIO. 1541 will play whatever source you feed it up to 96.

Hide this!Advertise here!