XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

blu tack

I bought Blu Tack.
A couple of days ago I removed the plasticine over the Xtals and listened some music for 3-4 hrs. I got confirmation that some damper on oscillators gives better SQ. I applied two BT blob today, and I got confirmation again that vibration damper on Xtals gives better SQ. I cannot tell the difference between plasticine and BT, though.
However, I'm not convinced that the altered thermal equilibrium induced by the blob has no effect on the Xtal performance considering that the Xtal frequency and its tolerance is given at 25°C. If a new thermal equilibrium is reached due to the blob insulation (at a higher temperature), the frequency results inevitably altered. The NDK Xtal draws about 5mA at 3.3Vdc, not a small power if you consider the very low mass of the oscillator. It must be investigated more.

Attachments

• WaveIO Xtals blu tack 20150325.jpg
    WaveIO Xtals blu tack 20150325.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Xtal - ppm vs. temperature.jpg
    Xtal - ppm vs. temperature.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 370
I'm not convinced that the altered thermal equilibrium induced by the blob has no effect

"Altered thermal equilibrium induced by the blob".

Phew. Does that mean the clocks get hotter? They might but, then again, they might not. The copper tracks in the PCB might dissipate enough heat to make any difference trivial. I've certainly not heard any difference with time despite my leaving the board powered up way long enough for it to achieve thermal equilibrium and my using much bigger blobs than your (very neat) ones.

D

Hi Lorien,

I believe I shorted the ps of the isolator chip with a bad plug !

The non isolated uf-l are working good ! But the hum I have is terrible so can't live without the isolator chip !

Could you please explain how to check it, I don't know if the MCLK output is shorted as well (because don't use it with the uf-l) but one of the two doesn't work !
have you the constructor ref if I must change the isolator chip and the type name of the plug needed for the pins of the isolated output ?

thank you for your help

Eldam

Does that mean the clocks get hotter?

That's for sure. I got a new thermal equilibrium (from WaveIO off and room temperature) after 90-120 minutes. The blob external temperature increased by only ~12°C, but I don't know what Blu Tack thermal resistance is. I'll measure the clock case temperature next time.

I've certainly not heard any difference with time

Me too

Last edited:
@ Eldam: which side of PSU are you speaking about? You should know that NVE isolator has two sides, the input and output. Input is powered by the WaveIO board from a 3.3Vdc Vreg locate don the PCB: ('+') is on pin 1 while ('--' or WaveIO's GND) is connected to pin 2 and 8. On the opposite side of this pins you'll find the connections for external PSU you have to wire to J6 just to make your isolator working properly!
So, which PSU are we talking about?

@ bigpandahk: reply sent, we will continue over PMs. Thanks!

As for the rest of you who asked for new drivers: You know that I will gladly share my latest packs with all you guys, as I did it starting from when WaveIO came up here BUT now, after I saw that all my struggle and kindness was taken by others as weakness, I'll try to chance things a little bit... otherwise WaveIO's future may become blur or be extinct!
As for driver version enumerations, there is nothing like 2.25 as one might understand from above posts! The next variant after 2.24 (which is now available to all of you) which I have receive from Thesycon is 2.26. I still wait for news from Thesycon's side regarding some security measures we want to implement thus I cannot release the new driver yet. Anyway, ALL of you who emailed me asking for it will receive an answer with a download link as soon as this new pack is available. I'm sure that all of you will understand my (hopefully) temporary position on this matter!
Thank you,
Lucian

Last edited:
Hi Lorien,
i too wrote you recently about drivers and maybe was misunderstood a bit - i meant you should have information on the site about latest driver version available (not download link, just text!) so that people know WHEN to contact you for new drivers by email. :)

This whole situation with drivers is sad :( I hope it will get resolved and WaveIO won't need constant internet connection to work :)

AlexanderTD,

What do you mean by constant internet connection for WAVE IO?

Lucian,
You need to do what you have to to keep this product alive and worth your while. I cannot imagine your new policy to be a problem for anyone. Got my new WAVE IO and it works just fine! Thought it might sound a little different but it doesn't even with the spdif stuff left off. Then again, I have been making so many changes ...

Still wish you could get a list from THESYCON telling which WINDOWS files are required for the control panels. I have my Win10 under 1gB with more to come but I have lost access to the control panels.

AS far as damping the xstal - there are other ways of damping things that putting goo on them. I wonder, and will try, a stainless steel alligator clip attached. No chance of overheating and I like the idea of tension damping a metal case more than contact damping.

Indeed, the new driver policy could be a bumpy one compared to what it was lately and I'm not happy with it but I'll keep it this way until that security breach will be solved by Thesycon. I have no pleasures to make any of you waiting for any of these drivers! Speaking of it, a new version has come out: v2.26
What I ask from any of you interested in latest packs is to contact me directly instead using DIY mailing system (which is getting smaller every day...) and provide your full name and address to be identified as a valid user/owner of WaveIO.
Some of you don't need to do this because we spoke recently (you know who you are). I'll send downloading links to each email I get as soon as I can.

Thank you for understanding,
Lucian

P.S. I'll try to offer the news on Luckit.biz too, by means of a pop-up window letting you now about latest version of drivers. I still have to figure it out how to do this since it's not my domain! :|

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
contact me directly instead using DIY mailing system (which is getting smaller every day...) and provide your full name and address to be identified as a valid user/owner of WaveIO.
Some of you don't need to do this because we spoke recently (you know who you are). I'll send downloading links to each email I get as soon as I can.

Thank you for understanding,
Lucian

P.S. I'll try to offer the news on Luckit.biz too, by means of a pop-up window letting you now about latest version of drivers. I still have to figure it out how to do this since it's not my domain! :|

Provided full name and address o be identified as a valid user/owner of WaveIO.

Waiting the latest version of drivers.

Thks & rgds
Felipe

@ zibra: heat dissipation would be a problem for your PSU but maybe there is a way to use a preregulator. As for other voltages for External PSU, please do NOT go beyond 5.7Vdc otherwise the regs powering NDK oscillators will end up in smoke (I've tried it before).
@ merlin el mago: I received your email thus new driver will be provided soon!
Kind regards,
L

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@ zibra: heat dissipation would be a problem for your PSU but maybe there is a way to use a preregulator. As for other voltages for External PSU, please do NOT go beyond 5.7Vdc otherwise the regs powering NDK oscillators will end up in smoke (I've tried it before).
@ merlin el mago: I received your email thus new driver will be provided soon!
Kind regards,
L

Thks Lucian, have a nice week-end.

Martin
First I did just X1 and X3. Saw notworthy improvement. In fact, I only use 44.1 which I believe is using X1.
Later, I added to X2. I believe there was an improvement, but not so big. Here it easily could just be my imagination as I have not gone back to remove and replace to check the effect.
Given it takes a moment and is totally reversable, just stick it on and judge for yourself. My WaveIO is kind of buried in the enclosure so I don't remove and replace. I just go with what sounds good and leave it.

AlexanderTD,

Still wish you could get a list from THESYCON telling which WINDOWS files are required for the control panels. I have my Win10 under 1gB with more to come but I have lost access to the control panels.

instead of messing around with windows 7 8 9 10 future... 11 12 etc

you should investigate a headless music server that is driverless...

http www daphile com

Martin