XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Synchronous Clocking

Can someone point to a place where I can learn about synchronous clocking?
I would like to set my XMOS board and Buffalo II up to do this and let my ears be the judge.

Thanks

The more I listen to my set-up with the XMOS board the more I like it. I'm asking myself - "did I hear that before?" Lucian - great job

rol, can you be so kind to provide details on how you wired your WaveIO card to Buffalo DAC?
Thank you,
L

In my set-up I used micro BNC on the WaveIO side and bare wire on the BII

Data and GND were obtained from same cable and connected to D2 and GND on BII

BCLK was connected to DCK

LRCK was connected to D1

Buffalo was set to accept I2S

Installed Drivers Lucian sent on my MAC

Best

Do remove the Trident from the Dac's VDD_XO circuit. If you don't have the Trident on your Dac then simply remove the ferite bead that controls the VDD_XO which is located on the underpad (L8)mmm not sure it's that one so follow the trace.... which should disconnect the onboard Crystek .

Now locate your R17 pads on buffaloII ? when looking at the Dac with the twisted pear logos facing upright., you locate the right pad from the 2 R17pads to connect your MCLK live wire only, from WaveIO, then you use the ground wire from your MCLK and connect to left pad of R17 .All your I2S connections from WaveIO to buffaloII will be as short and similar lenght as possible .
hope that helps to synchronize and do convey your results please .
regards
rol

Do remove the Trident from the Dac's VDD_XO circuit. If you don't have the Trident on your Dac then simply remove the ferite bead that controls the VDD_XO which is located on the underpad (L8)mmm not sure it's that one so follow the trace.... which should disconnect the onboard Crystek .

Now locate your R17 pads on buffaloII ? when looking at the Dac with the twisted pear logos facing upright., you locate the right pad from the 2 R17pads to connect your MCLK live wire only, from WaveIO, then you use the ground wire from your MCLK and connect to left pad of R17 .All your I2S connections from WaveIO to buffaloII will be as short and similar lenght as possible .
hope that helps to synchronize and do convey your results please .
regards
rol

Does anyone have access to BII schematic and layout? As far as I can tell they are no longer on TP site. I am using PH regulators and am fuzzy what beads I removed to install them

Thanks

Bob

hi Bob , i know what you mean about the beads , ah i looked under the Twisted Pear forum under BuffaloII in the search section under synchronous and found some info there but nothing as to which one of the beads has to come out ,didn't the ferite beads had to be romoved to install PH regulators , if so then one has posted a photo of his Dac with PH regs., showing where the master clock is connecting .
hope that helps , will try to find more info
regards
rol
ps: Twisted Pear has documentation on one of it's link on it's official site pertaining to some info on B.II

PS: the VDD_XO ferrite bead on the underside is L7.

Last edited:
hi Bob , i know what you mean about the beads , ah i looked under the Twisted Pear forum under BuffaloII in the search section under synchronous and found some info there but nothing as to which one of the beads has to come out ,didn't the ferite beads had to be romoved to install PH regulators , if so then one has posted a photo of his Dac with PH regs., showing where the master clock is connecting .
hope that helps , will try to find more info
regards
rol
ps: Twisted Pear has documentation on one of it's link on it's official site pertaining to some info on B.II

Thanks
The manual is there but nothing else
I did remove beads to connect PH but will try to look and see what bead needs to be removed to "unpower" the clock