Hifimediy DAA1853 DAC - AD1853/CS8416/OPA2134

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I saw this DAC available on the Hifimediy web site at what looks like a nice price:

Hifimediy|Hifimediy DAA1853 DAC - AD1853/CS8416/OPA2134

obviously some assembly of enclosure and PSU required though.

I've got a Hifimediy amplifier and have been very happy with it, but have searched around and haven't seen any mention of this unit. Maybe too new?

Anyone have any comments on it, or heard one in action? Googling around on the chips mentioned for it it seems like they are a good basis to start from anyway.

Well.. it's arrived:

As well as the two OPA2134 opamps as mentioned on the web page there are two NE5534, all socketed.

scaled_IMG_2768.JPG

arrived with no documentation, but then again most of it looks straight forward.

Hey Zog,

How did you power it?

p.s.I remember you from whirlpool!

Hi!
I'm running a backlog of DIY projects right now (presently working on a simple 4 channel pre-amp for the outputs of my miniDSP).. so this ones still on the shelf waiting...
One thing I am considering is a 2 seperate small transformers providing 12-0-12 and 0-6.3 VAC in the enclosure, but I havent worked through the local electronics suppliers catalogues to see if they have one with windings for both.

I've got the DAC powered up in a simple Jaycar enclosure using two small transformers - 12-0-12vac and 9vac - the 6.3vac I mentioned previously was based on out of date info.

9V 1.35VA 150mA Centre Tap - Type 2840 Transformer - Jaycar Electronics
24V, 3.6VA 150mA Centre Tap - Type 2854 Transformer - Jaycar Electronics
Metal Case - 184 x 70 x 160mm - Jaycar Electronics

.. just had a quick listen from the SPDIF output of my PC and sounding very nice so far! Only using 16bit/44.1k source so far.. I don't really have anything higher to feed it yet.

Whole unit using about 5W.

Getting a bit of transformer hum, which is imperceptable with the lid off, but the thin steel lid must resonate when it's on, I'll add some bituminous tape to damp it all down.

main.php

main.php

My 2 cents worth. I too ordered the DAC on discovery of its existence on diyaudio.com and specifically these posts.

To reassure any other persons contemplating buying these DAC's, I would have to say that the seller is honest in their dealings and description. Their communications through their representative Steinar with me have been helpful and prompt. They obviously place customer satisfaction high on their list of priorities.

As for the DAC it seems well constructed and I have no reason to doubt it will work as intended; but I have yet to hear it as I have just received it.

In case anyone is wondering, I state that I have absolutely no connection to the sellers. I am just a satisfied customer and these comments are intended to inform other members of the forum that the seller is professional and honest; which is something that cannot be said about many Chinese websites.

Thanks

Folks should be familiar with Hifimediy by now - their TK2050 amp has a huge thread in the Class D forum for a long time now... I look forward to hearing more about the DAC.

It was from my positive experience with their TK2050 amp led me to take a punt on a fairly unknown product out of curiosity.

I have just had a listen to it on a bigger system, after leaving it playing most of a day to settle in.

using:
Roland UA-30 soundcard->toslink->
Hifimediy DAA1853->Wanfai Lau passive attenuator
Connex TA3020 v3c->Econowave speakers

I don't have a lot of experience with DACs, I've been using AlienDAC, my MiniDSP, and Behringer USB soundcards.

Don't really have any blind tests or scientific results, so I'll just try and describe it, after plugging it in and comparing my memories of my combinations of equipment I have tried:

The Hifimediy sounds very smooth, pleasant, but still with a lot of detail, I really thought i could hear more of the activity (finger plucks, strums, etc) of recordings of acoustic instruments. Sweet!

Also very very quiet, despite my pretty quick utilitarian enclosure and wiring implementation.

I decided to run with a passive attenuator first, as given the opamps on the board it should have plenty of power to drive the amp direct without a pre-amp .. and it does!

Curious as to what the two ne5532 opamps on the board are for.. as it has 2 opa2134 already.. are they in the signal path? WOuld replacing them with opa2134 help or hinder the unit?

Curious as to what the two ne5532 opamps on the board are for.. as it has 2 opa2134 already.. are they in the signal path? WOuld replacing them with opa2134 help or hinder the unit?

Correction.. they are 2 x ne5534 opamps (single rather than dual). Bit of reading and they appear to be not easily replacable without a bit of knowledge of the circuit - and are supposed to have pretty good performance anyway. It's amusing they don't get to headline in the product description on the hifimediy site along with the opa2134s, although they also appear to be in the signal path.

There is also 2 jumpers in the digital section labelled 2X and 4X (J3 & J4) .. no idea what they are for.

I've asked in email and via PM here for any circuit diagrams or other documentation on the unit but haven't got any response.

been listening to the unit for a few days now, still sounds great!

Last edited:
hi, you can short 4x jumper for 96kHz and 2x for 48kHz signal. And remember don't short them both, 4x is ok for 48kHz too.
I think 20VA is enough for this board.

Some mistake, I have to correct 4x and 2x description. these jumpers are used to select interpolation ratio, and short them means assert high.
Left both jumper open, for use with 8x speed inputs(44.1kHz or 48kHz).
Short 4×, for use with double-speed inputs (88 kHz or 96 kHz).
Short 2×, for quad-speed inputs (176 kHz or 192 kHz), set 256xFs also.

Some mistake, I have to correct 4x and 2x description. these jumpers are used to select interpolation ratio, and short them means assert high.
Left both jumper open, for use with 8x speed inputs(44.1kHz or 48kHz).
Short 4×, for use with double-speed inputs (88 kHz or 96 kHz).
Short 2×, for quad-speed inputs (176 kHz or 192 kHz), set 256xFs also.

OK, thanks for the quick reply!

Mine came with the 2x jumper shorted, so since right now I am using plain old 44.1kHz CD I will take that off and short neither. If/when I get some higher speed input going on I will short the appropriate jumper.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.