BII+Legato vs BB PCM1704+D1 I/V NP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
After 9 days of extensive listening sessions I can conclude that sounds a lot better CS8414+DF1704+PCM1704+D1 I/V Nelson Pass than BII+Legato in single end & balanced mode vs single end mode PCM1704+NP D1 I/V, details:

CS8414+DF1704+PCM1704 with Erno Borbely series regulators (one +5V (CS8414+DF1704 & two +-5V for PCM1704, NP D1 I/V LM317+LM337 for +-30V

BII+Legato with Salas regs V1.2R for BII, Salas reg V1.0 remote sense for Legato & set of 3 Trident regs for BII

I use Sony Vaio laptop like source, both share USB 2.0 HiFace with Salas 1.0 remote sense reg

N.B. Erno Borbely adviced me that PCM1704 sounds better than BII, next step I will change Legato I/V for Classic Pass Labs D1 I/V with an ESS Dac designed by Owen (opc)

by all means try something different for the IV conversion and output stage: that makes a BIG difference.

I am using 8x1704 and BII with the same (tube based) IV and output buffer and I can tell you that the old BB chips still do an excellent work but the ESS chips really rocks. I am not saying I prefer 9018 as I keep on alternating the two dacs, they are just different. In a short word: the PCM1704 have more low level details while the 9018 has an explosive rhythmic and dynamics

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I own Borbely I/V with his own all fet regs for PCM1704 & that's sound faboulous, yes you are right the Sabre ESS 9018 is an excellent DAC surely only needs a better I/V (I tested with IVY & Legato), will see what's happen with Owen (opc forum member) I/V board developed from Nelson Pass to be adapted for Sabre ESS9018 chip, I think like you Sabre chip only needs a very good I/V.

ahha of course, sorry no problem. thats why your name wasnt on my list, which i took as an error for some reason after i had sent off the emails to everyone. i think probably because i saw several posts saying you hadnt finished owens D1 build yet even though you had built other versions, guess i thought it was because you didnt have the fets.

so cool i'll edit the mailing list now

Last edited:
Well, it seems that you're discussing the options I am considering now:

1) A kit based on the PCM 1704

or

2) A kit based on the Buffalo II

The BB kit is this

Code:
http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=588

The output stage and the supplies I will use on the Buffalo II, which might have to be adjusted on the PCM kit to better ps and supply standards, seems to be what might define the choice. Both in cost and audio quality.

Seriously, get the Buffalo II (BTW they have announced BIII). Looking at the kit in the link you posted, there are just too many regulators all over the place and this guarantees only one thing - noise. To get the very best out of a PCM1704, your power supply has to be super quiet and you need some fancy work on ground-plane design.

Seriously, get the Buffalo II (BTW they have announced BIII).

They announced it where? Didn't find any notice at their site.

Looking at the kit in the link you posted, there are just too many regulators all over the place and this guarantees only one thing - noise. To get the very best out of a PCM1704, your power supply has to be super quiet and you need some fancy work on ground-plane design.

OK, you prefer the BII over the PCM1704 project: just say so. But the reason you mention that "there are too many regulators and that guarantees... noise"??? How did you get to that conclusion?

How and why many regulators can cause noise? Or you don't think that separate regulators, if possible for EVERY chip or stage would be much better for the project as a whole?

And what fancy work should be done on the ground plane? Separate the digital and analog earth planes? How can you say it's not provided?

They announced it where? Didn't find any notice at their site.

OK, you prefer the BII over the PCM1704 project: just say so.

But the reason you mention that "there are too many regulators and that guarantees... noise"??? How did you get to that conclusion?
How and why many regulators can cause noise?

Or you don't think that separate regulators, if possible for EVERY chip or stage would be much better for the project as a whole?

And what fancy work should be done on the ground plane? Separate the digital and analog earth planes? How can you say it's not provided?

1.Read this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/188941-buffalo-iii-flexibility-without-compromise.html

2. Did I not clearly say you should get the BII? Please read what I said carefully.

3.Regulators (and their associated power supplies) are by nature noisy. Some regulator types are more noisy than others. A good designer will implement effective noise controls but this isn't always the case with mass market commercial products (and even some so called Hi-end stuff fail in this regard). This is why there is small but growing demand for after-market regulators. There are a fair few on the market and some are pretty darn good.

4. You should read some of Burr Brown's application notes for its DAC chips. They are quite clear that there is nothing much to be gained from using multiple power supplies. I would sooner choose one super quiet, low impedance supply over many noisy ones.

In hifi, there is no "conclusion". My position in relation to YOUR question about the choice between the BII and the Analogue Metric kit is based on years of experience playing around with PCM63 and PCM1704 dacs. And more significant than my own experience is my "access" to the incredible knowledge of someone I would call a "guru".

FWIW, we are also using the BII dac and have tested it using various I/V methods. I prefer my PCM1704 dac for various reasons over the BII at this stage. However, I seriously doubt that the PCM1704 dac kit you point us to will be able to produce to goods to beat the BII.

5. I did not say a split ground plane is not provided - you said I did

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.