diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/)
-   -   Sliding Pots vs Circular Pots for an equalizer (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/187717-sliding-pots-vs-circular-pots-equalizer.html)

inverseopamp 24th April 2011 07:58 AM

Sliding Pots vs Circular Pots for an equalizer

Hi!

I am building a 5+5 band equalizer with LA 3600. However, to keep the consistent look with my amp, I am planning to use circular pots. Just want to know if there is any difference w.r.t sound quality if I use circular pots instead of sliding pots.]

Thanks,
Basu

pinkmouse 24th April 2011 08:13 AM

No.

inverseopamp 24th April 2011 08:20 AM

Thanks pinkmouse.

sofaspud 24th April 2011 08:21 AM

Sorry but... you know audio gets a little too crazy when questions like this are asked.
Without a good jig, sliders are a PITA to this DIYer. It's virtually always circular, ie rotary, pots for me.

inverseopamp 24th April 2011 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofaspud (Post 2549112)
Sorry but... you know audio gets a little too crazy when questions like this are asked.
Without a good jig, sliders are a PITA to this DIYer. It's virtually always circular, ie rotary, pots for me.

Point taken once again. On another note, please see the attached circuit. I will be using this inbetween my source and a glainclone amp (4780). What is the actual benefit of having separate pots for the 2 channels? I can just use dual pots. For me if I want to trim down the bass a bit, turning down 1 knob will do. What is more logical, 5 dual lin pots or 10 single lin pots?

sofaspud 24th April 2011 04:51 PM

Aside from there being more detailed control using single pots, I think it's really just a matter of personal preference. I have an old headphone amp with 5 dual pots and was never dissatisfied with that setup.

Extreme_Boky 26th April 2011 02:09 PM

Get conductive plastic pots from Noble. Best value for money AND dust can't get in (like it can in to similarly-priced sliding pots...)

You'll need to spend much more money on sliding pots... just to prevent dust from getting inside them, not to mention that they are all pretty much graphite pots.

Boky

inverseopamp 26th April 2011 05:44 PM

Thanks sofaspud and extreme_bocky. Thanks for your inputs. Much appreciated. I will check Noble pots as suggested.

inverseopamp 26th April 2011 05:50 PM

Where can I get these pots? Is there an online store? I am from India.

mymindinside 26th April 2011 05:54 PM

Hi inverseopamp,
Do share the name of the vendor should you find these in India. Good quality Pots just don't seem to be available here!
Cheers, and all the best for your project
mymindinside

EDIT: ah, i see you are on the hunt as well, you posted as i was typing