Drop in replacement for NE5532?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'd be surprised if you actually improved on the 5532 in this type of application and equipment but if you want to try then the LM4562 would be the one to go for.

I suspect the complaints you have about the sound are more to do with the unit as a whole rather than singling out these opamps.

I have a RX V667 also. When I first started using it , it was not as good at HF as I expected. However with use ( 2 years) it does sound very good ( maybe I got used to the sound !). There are amps with a shade more HF but this one sounds very nice as it is. I don't find anything lacking when listening to good recordings.
I'd say leave it as it is ! Build some kit power amps to 'improve'(?) upon the sound. The RX-V667 has a 7.1 preamp output at the back. You can use an external power amp. Try that first. They mention that the internal power amp should not be used when using the preamp outputs. Not quite sure why they say this. I have not tried this yet. I should try it in stereo first.

Spirovious: Where did you get the circuit diagram of the 667 ? Do you have the full service manual ?

EDIT: I found the service manual !

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi spirovious,
I'll pile on with Mooly here. Changing the 5532 op amps will not get you where you want to go.

I have a Carver HTR-880 surround receiver. Once I was in to replace the speaker relay it became tempting to improve the performance. I managed to really help it along by getting rid of a bunch of ceramic capacitors in the output amplifiers. Now it sounds pretty good, but it will never be as good as a dedicated two channel setup. No op amps were swapped out simply because the problems were not there.

If you can, determine where the real problems are and fix those.

-Chris

Attachments

• opamps.gif
    opamps.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 887
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for replies.
I have posted the link of 667 service manual on this forum in another thread.
Now improvement l am looking in one area is the thin sound of Yamaha avr compared to some other AVR say marantz.
So trying to getter better though not as good as stereo amp.l tried rotel rb985 connecting to it,but sounded less dynamic than Yamaha internel power amp.

I have a similar Yamaha.

One cannot "listen" to an amplifier! It needs a source, speakers and a room to create the sound.

What do you mean by "thin"? Not loud? No bass? Such subjective words are meaningless to everyone but you.

My Yamaha produces excellent music in my environment, similar to several other amps I have, if the loudness is adjusted to be the same.

What do you mean by "thin"? Not loud? No bass? Such subjective words are meaningless to everyone but you.

By thin means weight in the sound.
I have compared 667 with many setups in dedicated demo room too.
If one compares this amp back to back with other brands like,marantz,onkyo,Denon,he will certainly find a thin sound with less impact.
Yamaha has certainly good power and go loud easily,but vocals in movies also sounds thin compared to others.
I paired with Dali Zensor 7, Klipsh speakers, Tannoy mercury F1 and few others.Paired with Genelec powered speakers too.It sounded better with wharfedale speakers though.
This made me think about further improvement in sound.:)

I don't understand the problem. In my set up with Mission 701's , the low end is very good and it has great transient impact. No problems with HF either. I'll compare it with a Creek later this week and see what I find. Maybe I just got used to the sound. It certainly isn't the best , but sounds great by itself. The LF is even better with my JBL's ,as expected ,as it has a 10 inch bass driver.

Last edited:
I don't understand the problem. In my set up with Mission 701's , the low end is very good and it has great transient impact. No problems with HF either. I'll compare it with a Creek later this week and see what I find. Maybe I just got used to the sound. It certainly isn't the best , but sounds great by itself. The LF is even better with my JBL's ,as expected ,as it has a 10 inch bass driver.
Well towers can certainly sound better compared to bookshelf.Hence you may not notice the thin sound.since I have compared yamaha with mos of leading brands,I find (even my friends)sound is not that fuller.

Actually both the speakers I mentioned are bookshelf speakers. The JBL being a large bookshelf (!). They are on heavy stands.
Room acoustics plays a large part also. Mine isn't very large and the acoustics isn't so great either.
But yes, if you only replaced the amp in the same system/room , it would show up differences. As for the low end it certainly doesn't extend as low as a Bryston3B that I had here for a while. But that's just the strong point of the Bryston...having an extended low end that you can actually hear ( at times) depending on the music ! The Creek also has a good low end. I'll check it out later.

But yes, if you only replaced the amp in the same system/room , it would show up differences.
I always compare with same setup in same room back to back.Yamaha is certainly easy on ears.But I dont know why it sounds 'lean' compared to others.One day I was at my one friends house who was playing his wharfedale towers with his Yamaha 667.Music was played from Pioneer DVD player connected via HDMI.He was not happy with overall sound.So we connected pioneer analog out to Yamaha analog in and difference was day night.The weight in sound was there now (not Boom).So I wondered DAC section in Yamaha need to work out.Both Yamaha and Pioneer DVD players mostly use burr brown DAC chips (may be different no.).Still why so much difference.:)