Drop in replacement for NE5532?

Get it all working first and then I would suggest trying the OPA2604 and perhaps the LM4562.
OPA2604 is the most "coloured" sounding (in the nicest possible way) and the LM4562 probably the more clinical.

and

I can only echo the praise for the BB OPA2604. It tends to have a warm sound which I like.

Cheers,

Pete
Man, today I finally heard the difference. Nice warm, very detailed and what a S-P-A-C-I-O-U-S sound as well!! To my ears this is "THE" opamp!

Pleased you like it and its still one of my favourites.
I'm still listening to "it" inside a small Yamaha "Natural Sound" A-450 (from 1979) which had the old JRC4558. Took it out and wanted to put the "natural sound" NE5532, but finished to swap it with an OP2604 I had in the same small bag. When I replaced the latter with the NE5532 I realized immediately that something was missing. Then I tried the 2604 back again and... BOOM! Now, it's there to stay!! :)

I have another Yamaha Natural Sound which has a few 8 and 9-pin Opamps:

IC102 is a 8-pin NJM2041S (CD Direct input)
IC103 and IC104 are a 9-pin C4570HA (Tone Control and Loudness/Balance, respect.)

Any chance to replace these with 2604s (Yamaha fans please don't curse me!) :eek:

Attachments

• opamps2.jpg
    opamps2.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 1,452
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They can be replaced. If you look at the pinouts for a 9 pin SIL device you'll see that pins 9,8,7 and 6 allow a DIP pinout to drop in using pins 8,7,6 and 5 and the other side needs hard wiring. Or much neater... make a small PCB adapter.

They can be replaced. If you look at the pinouts for a 9 pin SIL device you'll see that pins 9,8,7 and 6 allow a DIP pinout to drop in using pins 8,7,6 and 5 and the other side needs hard wiring. Or much neater... make a small PCB adapter.
Oh, I see that pin 9 is just another V+ like pin 1 is shown in the image below:

11041822215c8d22e109ea0524.jpg

-----------------------

P.S.: I see that Bronw Dog has a nice DIP8 adapter for it. Maybe I can order a few of it.

Link: SO8/DIP8 to SIL Adapter (p/n 060301)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would look at the LM4562 and the single version LME49710 but as I mentioned earlier, you can't be 100% sure until you test and measure. Look at post #1 in my link above and how the OPA604 was unexpectedly unstable. You would never have guessed that from just looking at the circuit. Test and measurement proved otherwise though.

Well, it's a really good and rare amp over here. I cannot take any risk with this one. :)

Nice amp - I have a Yamaha RX-300 Receiver from a similar era, with the same kind of controls and industrial design. Mine has extensive modifications and upgrades. The main problems I found were annular cracks on many solder joints, especially those with mechanical stress (connectors, controls, etc.), and bad contacts on the selector switches. Also a bit of noise on the potentiometers, but no show stopper.

The power amp section is fully discrete, so no opamp upgrade is needed. The phono section has an opamp, IIRC - I left it alone for now.

I'm finding lately that the LM4562 seems as good as it gets and that would be my current device of choice.

I'll try it, too. Curious to "see" the stereo imaging/soundstage from it. :)

I'm still standing by the 2604. The 2134 is very good, but I like the 2604 a bit more.

Nice amp - I have a Yamaha RX-300 Receiver from a similar era, with the same kind of controls and industrial design. Mine has extensive modifications and upgrades. The main problems I found were annular cracks on many solder joints, especially those with mechanical stress (connectors, controls, etc.), and bad contacts on the selector switches. Also a bit of noise on the potentiometers, but no show stopper.

The power amp section is fully discrete, so no opamp upgrade is needed. The phono section has an opamp, IIRC - I left it alone for now.
A nice receiver indeed.
C05FVFNDQVBFMi4wAwEAAAAh+QQFDwANACwAAAAADwAPAAAEYbBJCWqduFXEz7kYkIwjchgFMIlJpYxVQahaolTLG88aYjMOxsskE2xsC0YuQSQYAb6W4sUEFCuHqKWCcmKznM6hGFABDJ50d2CkFN5wGbu8ItjvAgE9BMjnyzQZGlsZEQAAIfkEBQ8ADQAsBAADAAcACAAABBxQyZTQAWCphDHb2MJo1SFtJUVZBoC8x3V1ABEBACH5BAUPAA0ALAQABAAHAAgAAAQecLGlEjrMsXoBoInnVSGQnNZhIOx1FMAhGzAsAkMEACH5BAUPAA0ALAQABAAHAAgAAAQeEIClkpSsysVoQociJt9BkqABIOxxAO8FEEVdE0MEADs=
:)
Actually the little can sound as good as the TOTL, includind the mighty RX-1130.