Drop in replacement for NE5532? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2011, 09:10 PM   #21
Speak is offline Speak  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I agre with anatech, but I would also like to say that power supply is very important. It's no idea to by expensive op-amp with out improve power supply. Change 78XX and 79XX to LM31 , LM337 (or even better LT317/337). Separate dig and analouge power supply.

/Mats
Old 17th April 2011, 09:38 PM   #22
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Mats,
Well, if you are going to use one of these super op amps and look at things closely, you're going to have to do more than use a chip regulator of any kind. You need to kill the higher frequency noise. That is where simple chip type regulators are weak.

You are absolutely correct though, the power supply may need an upgrade, depending on what the noise is like now. This is what I mean by having a look around the circuit first. In fact, a complete reroute of the PCB design may possibly be required. The PCB is often a determining factor in noise and distortion performance. Sometimes a division of circuits supplied by more than one power supply circuit can help too.

Is your head beginning to hurt yet?

-Chris
Old 17th April 2011, 09:48 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
I had a two year old twenty grand digital console open the other day to replace the headphone socket, and guess what was in the circuit driving it?
It was DESIGNED two years ago? Or just manufactured?
Anyway, 5532 wasn't good to drive headphones even in his hey day - I saw usually 4556 in that position.
Old 17th April 2011, 10:23 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SoNic_real_one,
Many op amps were used to drive headphones. The 4556 was designed for that job, but has a minimum load of 150 ohms, while most headphones are lower impedance. 8 ohms is fairly common in fact. That would be why there is a resistor in series with the jack in many designs. There are finally newer op amps designed for headphone amplifier duty, or one could use a buffer inside the gain loop of an op amp as well. Discrete or integrated, it's all the same. I use a diamond buffer for headphones, driven by an op amp usually. A 5532 is fine for that.

-Chris
Old 17th April 2011, 11:12 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
It was DESIGNED two years ago? Or just manufactured?
Well, I can't tell you exactly when it was designed, but the serial number ended in 0053.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 18th April 2011, 01:28 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi SoNic_real_one,
I use a diamond buffer for headphones, driven by an op amp usually. A 5532 is fine for that.
Agree. The problem is that many "high-end" devices use directly OpAmps to drive headphones. And I understand that was the case in the above equipment.

Hoping that I will not be totally off-topic:

I was always puzzled why new designs would still use 5532 when obiously better options are avaiable today. And I came to the conclusion that it must be economics and supply politics (special agreements with certain manufacturers - true especially for japanase NJR/JRC in japanese audio products).
Also there are "old" school designers (70's) that by now got into design decision positions and go by "is not broken, don't fix it" philosophy. That makes their designs reliable, but just average in final performance. And that is OK with them, because marketing sells this days, not true audio performance.
New generation engineers (graduated past 2005) under them are also more into shiny cases and iPod docks. Apple Airstream garbage...
Where are the ones in between? Layed off probably since they where "overpaid" in comparation with the kids they hire now from scool.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 18th April 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:57 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SoNic_real_one,
There may indeed be some truth to what you are thinking there. Still, most of the people I know are examining the bleeding edges of what products become available. There is another side to this as well. The 5532 and 5534 are both good sounding op amps. If they weren't, they would not be here these days. They were a bit ahead of their time when introduced, and are still more than competent in many jobs.

To ignore a chip simply due to it's age is short sighted. Many times the performance of the chip is not the limiting factor in a design. Not only would using another, more expensive device be a waste, but one with higher slew rates and bandwidth can actually cause trouble in a production environment. In other words, real world performance may be better using one of these parts rather than something much faster. Remember, you have to look at the signal source to figure out how much noise is there to begin with. To specify a chip with much higher performance than what you need can get you fired. The performance difference between a 553x and what ever the popular chip is today may be essentially - nothing. The limiting factors existing in something else in the system.

Go ahead and pick on a 4558 or another lackluster chip that still finds use these days. The 5532 and 5534 are both capable of good performance. I do use some of today's better devices, but not when it's just more money spent. To add, I run these parts from voltages high enough to get the job done properly and no more. Why generate extra heat for nothing? You need the higher supply volts only when the program material peaks demand it, or the device performs poorly until you reach a certain "happy range".

-Chris
Old 27th June 2011, 03:18 AM   #28
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

TI 5532 / 5534 sound not as good as original Signetics chips, in my experience.

Last edited by plasnu; 27th June 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:14 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default BRILLIANT ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie7 View Post
NE5532:

"common-mode and output loading distortion will severely degrade performance...for less demanding applications
still a valid option if common-mode and loading effects can be addressed"

http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_...distortion.pdf
Thank you for posting this, brilliant .. Great piece of research ..
Old 27th June 2011, 09:04 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I was always would wish to know the term good/better based on specifications. like say noise is what killing the quality. op-amp A has this where as B has this noise figure. so would sound better. or say slewrate. input impedance and the ckt that needs such xyz. there could also be a factor say, the max supply for the op-amp is say +- 15v. and the B has +- 30. this factor helps it to perform better in linear region.

In short, What parameters of op amp makes it sound better over other. also , is it circuit requirement, that the other opamp needs better for performance.This kind of discussion will also help DIYers to go for direct better replacement using datasheet.

Hide this!Advertise here!