Musical Fidelity Digilog Dac - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2011, 12:57 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Yeah, I've worked up my own rationales too, just wanting to test them. One you haven't mentioned is the extra noise caused by having a sweating (900mW) digital chip right next to the DAC. So I wanna try a lower power filter. I can't follow your point about doing oversampling in software rather than hardware - you're assuming there's already a CPU in the system?
Old 30th April 2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Lenin21 is offline Lenin21  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wakibaki,

I'm with you on the 'upsampling embedded errors is nonsense' argument, but I believe that one of the UK magazines (Hi-Fi News, I think) investigated the issue of word length and sampling rate (from both technical and subjective standpoints, with pleny of measurement to back up their findings). If memory serves, this would have been around the mid to late nineties.

I think the oversall conclusion was that word length has surprisingly little effect on data quality/integrity (from both technical and subjective standpoints) while sampling frequency was found to demonstrate clearly measureable effects, on both fronts.

My memory really is getting worse as I get older (I've started for forget why I walked into a room...) but I'm faily sure about that feature article.

I'm still recovering from a recent visit to the hell that is my loft, but when I recover, I'll launch another expidition and see if I have a copy to scan and post.
Old 21st July 2011, 02:26 AM   #13
Johnnz is offline Johnnz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I too have one of these fantastic dacs which also has that odd repair job/ extra components added in.
I am wondering if anyone else has any issues with their Digilog making a popping noise through the speakers when turning it off (if done before turning off the amp)?
Can anything be done about it? I am just worried that it could damage the amp or speakers.
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Johnnz,
I am currently upgrading mine at the moment so cann't check. Just turn the amp off first for a while till I get mine back togeather. (this is recommended by a lot of people anyway)
Yes it can damage your speakers and possibly the amp.
Old 17th August 2011, 02:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Johnnz,
I turned the dac of first with the cd player on so the dac was locked and no poping noise.
I'm still having toslink input dropping out problems so will be pulling it apart again and when I do that will try and trace out the mute ccty which should stop the poping noise on turn off.
I hope this helps.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Digilog Mute Circuit

Johnnz,

If you measure the voltage across r48 it should be 0v when the DAC is on but not locked and 3.25v when it locks to the incoming signal.

If you are not getting that then there is a problem.
Let me know how you go and I will try and help but I am only a learner.

Regards
Old 5th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi!
What is the output impedance of the Digilog?

Greets.
Tyimo
Old 16th March 2013, 02:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I found it.Just gotta shove it in a link somewhere.

Hide this!Advertise here!