DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

@ poimandres, just to let you know incase you missed it...
ClaveFremen has done a LOT with this board. upgrading the components. see his google docs, he has a full list of upgrade components and where to buy them from https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0B-qKRBuaKtzYYWNkNzRmODktZTQyNS00YjA2LWIwNzItN2UzNzhjODI5MWRm

also, if you do buy the unassembled board, the three main ic's and the three chips are pre-soldered, so the most tiny stuff is done. may want to double check that with the seller though. good luck

I bought my kit from zoe_tsang (as per ebay link from hotiron at #2481). The IC's came soldered in place, but not the LM117s, which would have been nice. I bet if you ask, the vendor will send you your kit with these pre-soldered as well as the IC's.

Based on earlier posts, it looks like both zoe_tsang and along1986090 have proven to be reputable ebay sellers of this kit. The PCB board should say "2496 mini" or "2496 mini ES" (I don't recall if there's a difference). The R-core transformer offered with the kit is preferred by Clave and others. It should be 30VA, and is typically marked “AC4.265.5387.”

I bought the whole kit, not just the PC board. Once I ordered all my parts, I realized that Clave's BOM replaces about 80% of what comes with the kit. No worries, I think it's simpler to do it this way. Still, you might save a few dollars by ordering just the PC Board and transformer from the ebay merchants, and the other parts separately.

In this thread, you'll see a fair bit of variation on the power supplies. The Silas Shunt is highly praised (I have to believe this is the gold stardard, yes?). Alternately, Clave has designed a shunt regulator that should work quite well. A few builders have chosen another variation, and have separate transformers for the digital and analogue circuits of the board. Try a few searches within this thread to learn more. Ah, variety!! All part of diy-ing !

Ciao Comrades, I have read every word, and am waiting for a wee box from China.
I think I may have found a substitute for those hard to find (at least for me)
Evox-Rifa SMR 100nF 50V caps on Clave's bom. Kemet SMR film caps 0.1uF 50V 5% Mouser p/n

80-MMK5104J50J01TR18

Evox Rifa and Kemet are the same corporation I think, and the specs are the same (as far as I can tell)

Thank you all and Bravo Dario!

fidel

Last edited:
(...)
Evox Rifa and Kemet are the same corporation I think, and the specs are the same (as far as I can tell)

Sorry but SMR and MMK are different type caps, SMR have PPS dielectric while MMK have polyester.

PPS is a superior (and better sounding) dielectric than polyester.

You can find them from Mouser (80-SMR5104K100J03L4), I've updated the BOM on Google Drive.

Hi,

I just bought a unit with AK4396 fully built and tested by the vendor from Ebay, direct from China,costs me not more than $80, incl enclosure, cheap.

I am listening to it right now, sounds very good even before upgrading to better components and also compared it against the Wolfson WM8740, I think the AK has an edge over the the Wolfson chipset. BTW I am using it in conjunction with CM6631 USB to SPDIF converter.

Anyone can chime in here, the price of DIY ES91018 is coming down, there are a few(2) now on sale at the Ebay stores, they are much cheaper than any commercial ES9018 available, has anyone compare it against the AK4396 ? if so can you give me your impression, esp., is it worth upgrading to EX9018 or upgrade just to try it out? Any comments?

Hi,

I just bought a unit with AK4396 fully built and tested by the vendor from Ebay, direct from China,costs me not more than $80, incl enclosure, cheap.

I am listening to it right now, sounds very good even before upgrading to better components and also compared it against the Wolfson WM8740, I think the AK has an edge over the the Wolfson chipset. BTW I am using it in conjunction with CM6631 USB to SPDIF converter.

In all honesty the standard kit is nothing really special. If you like it now, after a few mods you will be very impressed

Anyone can chime in here, the price of DIY ES91018 is coming down, there are a few(2) now on sale at the Ebay stores, they are much cheaper than any commercial ES9018 available, has anyone compare it against the AK4396 ? if so can you give me your impression, esp., is it worth upgrading to EX9018 or upgrade just to try it out? Any comments?

The ES9018 is an impressive chip, but it is very very fussy with implementation. There are other threads on DIYaudio that discuss the ES9018 ebay boards. From what I have read, people seem to like it. I highly doubt the ebay boards are as good as the expensive commercial designs. I also read that people do a fair bit of stuffing around with those boards to get some good sound out of them.

On the other hand, the AK4396 board is as good if not better than commercial designs when attention is payed to the associated components.

On paper the ES9018 is the superior chip. No doubt about it. Whether you prefer the ES9018 on that board is another issue. The only way to tell is to buy it and see?

Last edited:
As with all audio, a flavor or sound signature can be associated with a given piece of equipment. My personal experience leads me to the impression the modded AK4396 is a bit brighter and more dynamic without adding distortion. The Wolfson gets the nod for smoothness that can enhance the overall warmth. IMHO, neither is "best" - both are amazingly good for the investment. I'm a "big band"/brass guy so the AK is used the most -again, specific to my system - may be different with other associated equipment.

Looking forward to the upcoming Subbu V3 DAC which is based on the ESS Sabre-32 chip for a final comparison.

Last edited:
Ciao Comrades, I have read every word, and am waiting for a wee box from China.
Evox-Rifa SMR 100nF 50V caps

fidel

i have four spare evox rifa's that i ordered when i built my DAC. i live in the UK, you could paypal some money and i'll send you them. i bought extra because of the high delivery costs and thought someone might want them (to save you the extra delivery).

mail me if you're interested. i don't want much for them, say £5 including post, or make me an offer (i've pm'd you too)

EDIT: in fact, i have a few bits spare. L1, L2, C3, C27 (from mouser according BOM) and the evox rifa's, C6, C8, C9, C21 from Distrelec. also, the TO220 heat sink, R25,27,31,33. you can have them all for £6 or £7 including post

Last edited:
I have a question regarding a USB "Module" that I could integrate into this design, I am aware that I can pull the signal straight off the chip but I would like to avoid having to solder from a surface mounted component (don't have the equipment for smd soldering). could I use the teralink X2 and change over the clock, or is there an easier/cheaper option?

Regards,

Jules

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I am going to be using a PC as the source the HA info U2 usb to spdif converter.into the AK4396 and into an O2 headphone amp I will let you guys know how it goes. Should be pretty good, trying to get the best sound I can for a cheap price, I have mostly been involved with motor control and power supply design. this is my first try at an audio kit (strange it has taken this long as I am a sound engineer as well).

Hi,

I am not sure this has been answer before, can someone confirm whether this can be done,
Can I modify this board with AK4396 chipset such that it can accept I2S signals rather using the SPDIF input? Any advantage, I thought from reading elsewhere it is to reduce reduce jitter, any true to this claim?

If it can be done I sure someone must have done it by now, any impression?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am not sure this has been answer before, can someone confirm whether this can be done,
Can I modify this board with AK4396 chipset such that it can accept I2S signals rather using the SPDIF input? Any advantage, I thought from reading elsewhere it is to reduce reduce jitter, any true to this claim?

If it can be done I sure someone must have done it by now, any impression?

Thanks.

Yes, this is possible, I run mine like that.
See post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a-35.html#post3004419
I do not have the equipment for comparing jitter measure, but it sounds good to my ears ;-)