DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hi,

could you please describe the name of the 4 pins on the AK4396 board. I´m trying unsuccesful to connect j.kenny´s hiface to the board. The MCLK (pin 3 of the AK4396) doesn´t seem to be connected...

thanx

@Giobax :
You can get I2S out of your Hiface by tapping wires, then you could try to feed directly the AKM dac on this board bypassing the I2S->SPDIF->I2S chain (hence the DIR PLL induced jitter).

With a little mod on this board (ACKS pin to HI see pic), you can also set it in auto mode for master clock.

With short coax or twisted pairs and proper grounding I think you could get good results.

A question about your shunt regulators for OPAMP rails, what capacitor values are you using on shunts and local ones to decouple OPAMP ? For now, I get weird (oscillation) results with my Salas +/-15V regs at this place...

Last edited:
Hi,

could you please describe the name of the 4 pins on the AK4396 board. I´m trying unsuccesful to connect j.kenny´s hiface to the board. The MCLK (pin 3 of the AK4396) doesn´t seem to be connected...

thanx

Hi,
The four resistor pads are, from top to bottom, LRCK, BCK, DATA, SCK, see attached pic.

Attachments

• MINI4396_I2S_pinout.jpg
    MINI4396_I2S_pinout.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 923
I've just built my kit and it worked first time - don't laugh, for me that's good going. All the voltages check out OK but I have noticed that the 7812 runs hotter than the 7912 (45C vs 35C). Is this because the +12V from the 7812 side is also used to drive the two LM1117s? I have a spare 0-9V transformer tap that I could use to drive the LM1117s as a separate supply (a duplicate of the other existing 0-9 supply set up) and just use the 12-0-12 supply for the output opamp. It looks easy enough to break into the PCB track at that point, would that be a good thing to do?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm arriving a little late to the party and trying to catch up... :eek:

I've just built my kit and it worked first time - don't laugh, for me that's good going. All the voltages check out OK but I have noticed that the 7812 runs hotter than the 7912 (45C vs 35C). Is this because the +12V from the 7812 side is also used to drive the two LM1117s? I have a spare 0-9V transformer tap that I could use to drive the LM1117s as a separate supply (a duplicate of the other existing 0-9 supply set up) and just use the 12-0-12 supply for the output opamp. It looks easy enough to break into the PCB track at that point, would that be a good thing to do?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm arriving a little late to the party and trying to catch up...

I run 12-0-12 and for me its the 9v upgraded MC7809CTG regulator that goes hot.
Now i just try swapping OPA´s to hear differences.
Very small differences but they are there.
But the this DAC has more of all compare to my Super Pro Dac, also an cheap but pretty good DAC.

Its pretty easy to get a good sound but when you want more its very small objetive things to play around with.
Thats fun!
:)

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm arriving a little late to the party and trying to catch up... :eek:

Exactly what Dario mentions.

Please buy a heat sink.

You can get it at RS or Farnell.
part numbers:

RS: 189-9097
Farnell: 652469

Exactly what Dario mentions.

Please buy a heat sink.

I have already added heatsinks to all three regulators, it is the 7812 that runs hotter than I would like. I'll try splitting off the +Ve supply to the LM1117s from another source and see how that works out.

You can get it at RS or Farnell.
part numbers:

RS: 189-9097
Farnell: 652469

I can't see that Farnell part number.

The other thing that is getting hot is the THS4032CD opamp I am using. I could only get it in a surface mount package and had to mount it on a DIP8 socket. Not sure what the best thing is to keep it cool.

I have already added heatsinks to all three regulators, it is the 7812 that runs hotter than I would like. I'll try splitting off the +Ve supply to the LM1117s from another source and see how that works out.

I can't see that Farnell part number.

The other thing that is getting hot is the THS4032CD opamp I am using. I could only get it in a surface mount package and had to mount it on a DIP8 socket. Not sure what the best thing is to keep it cool.

You do not need on all three regulators. Only on one is enough.

The fact that the op-amp is getting hot, does not mean it is bad.

Try to measure the temperature, and see, if it falls in the working temperature specification of the manufacturer. What we (humans) consider "hot", maybe not hot at all for some components.

The THS4032CD (and all sm chips for that matter) rely on thermal conduction through the IC leads into the PWB to help dissipate power.

Since it is on a DIP8 socket and has wires replacing the pads, they probably do not conduct heat as well.

Put a heat sink on it. Seriously, tacpac a small piece of copper foil (or even heavy duty Aluminum foil) bent in an L shape to act as a heat sink. The opamp will stay cooler.

You do not need on all three regulators. Only on one is enough.

The fact that the op-amp is getting hot, does not mean it is bad.

Agreed, the regulators at 35C and 45C and the op-amp at 50C are well within spec. But my experience of electronics is that higher temps lead to shorter working life.

Try to measure the temperature, and see, if it falls in the working temperature specification of the manufacturer. What we (humans) consider "hot", maybe not hot at all for some components.

I'd much rather spend a few pence on extra heat sink capacity than have something break and require time and have to spend pounds to fix in the future.

I've got the parts for PS finally and curious now, is it safe to omit U6 at all, I mean if I stay with simple shunt from Dario (LM317+BD139+zener) could I directly feed CS8416 A+3.3 bearing in mind voltage peaks during switching on/off the dac?

hi Dario,

could I have piece of your advice once more please?

Regarding your shunt, if I replace both regs (U9 and U6), do I need to keep C21 and C34 caps?
Also if I replace only U9 (as I've done now), should it be connected directly to U6, thus omiting C14 & C38?

I've used 8.2V zenner with LM317 and got exactly 8.2vdc, so no need to add 0.6v calculating output voltage, am I right?

Regarding your shunt, if I replace both regs (U9 and U6), do I need to keep C21 and C34 caps?

If you mounted an elco in C3, probably not but it could sound better with them.

You should try.

BTW why do you want to replace CS8416 analog PS?

Also if I replace only U9 (as I've done now), should it be connected directly to U6, thus omiting C14 & C38?

C38 can be omitted but why would you omit also C14? IMHO it's needed to decouple the opamp, particularly with an external regulator.

Did you replaced also U10, right?

I've used 8.2V zenner with LM317 and got exactly 8.2vdc, so no need to add 0.6v calculating output voltage, am I right?

No, there's something wrong, maybe you burned the BD139.

Can you post a schema of what you did?

My simple shunt has two sections: a current regulator (LM317 + current setting resistor) and zener+resistor+transistor as the real shunt.