DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Maybe would be better to add a proper LPF filter to the dac... ;)

I just got finished simulating the LPF on mine, -3dB at 90KHz which is ok for 92KHz bw, but I'd like to roll of starting around40KHz.

The recommended filter in the manual won't be difficult to patch in and should sound better as the -3dB point is around 49.2Khz.

At least it simulates better.

Here is something interesting. Peak is around 33KHz. LF roll off is primarily determined by the inductance of the transformer.

It should simply be a matter of removing the vacuume circuitry and replacing it with sand.

Attachments

• Lamptizator.JPG
    Lamptizator.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 814
  • 6J9P_Lamptizator.JPG
    6J9P_Lamptizator.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 804
Last edited:
How's this for an output stage for the ak4396?

Ray's Audio Page - Discrete Output Stage

If I am not wrong I think that is the HDAM discrete circuit, though in this case with the CFP mod.

I think it could be tried on the AK4396, probably eliminating the 100uF capacitor, which I think it's a must in the Marantz they made it for.

Another problem is the input filter, which involves inductors.

On the picture of the PCB in post #95 on page 10 of this thread there is a round capacitor marked "1uf" next to cap 28. Which one is this on the BOM?

Regards

It should be marked C37, and is a 1 uF cap.

It doesn't appear on the "upgrade BOM" because Dario didn't see a need to replace it -- thus no change from the stock cap provided with the 2496-mini-DAC kit.

It is listed in Dario's "full BOM" as a 1 uF capacitor, 50V, any manufacturer, standard elco capacitor. My kit came with a dinky teapo 10/00 (?) cap, rated for 105 degrees C. Most of the photos posted on this thread show a larger cap, but it's up to you.

I hope that helps !
AH0JFFhBSgscEuIMXOiLDqMGeFpxgcIqig6Gn9aEMDFJEqBEPTa5EjRQEYRDCiIQWNlml6xIYQwJnPJCgY8ALgaI0BCg1xw4d3ydukVlEa8AYBCgsREgA6pRfJysIvOEw5c3WzQdyEXID4NYmUBomUFBzZUCAhAUOAALQJkVbnY0wqRnEBEDBs4ASCCgFJMilWoUIiUHhi0AZuoMSKBiAok0nB5l8SKqT5cYAxwIAMDCAwpVQj74wlUlxRggqZYEqmVpRA4sJQSyoWEliaMflJCAGvJA155LA8UY4UFr1qsFHZTkOQKJ4QlEF0wFkfGniZ1QDAdiuLHBUycLDAMCADs=