DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hi there

Ive been having a good mess around with my dac, done nearly all of Claves BOM mods and it sounds fantastic.

Ive decided to go and swap the op amp too, im currently using a LM4562 (i think) bought off ebay for a bargain £3, it sounds really good too, ive recently modified my brothers Marantz CD10 with a pair of Burr Brown OP627BP op amps and decided to do the same to my DAC, unfortunately due to rushing ive bought a pair of OP637BP's instead, at least they are genuine ones.

Would anyone know if i can shove them in my DAC, or is the gain of the DAC high enough to keep the 637's stable?

Many thanks in advance for any help

James

Dario, you mentioned the addition of a shunt regulator for this DAC over on the MyRef Integrated thread and I assumed you were referring to the Unbalancer. After reading through the thread I'm not so sure anymore.

Did you complete/publish this project from post #1125 - "In the next weeks I'll post a new shunt PS schematic, simpler than Salas one, which gave me great results with the My_Ref"?

I'm a little lost here in my search for the "latest and greatest".

Did you complete/publish this project from post #1125 - "In the next weeks I'll post a new shunt PS schematic, simpler than Salas one, which gave me great results with the My_Ref"?

Exactly, I've the intention, but didn't found the time yet, to adapt My_Ref Fremen Edition's PS to the MINI2496.
I'm a little lost here in my search for the "latest and greatest".

Apart the various output approaches (direct, transformers, valves) different from opamp LPF all the rest can be found on my Google Docs folder.

Hi folks.
regarding this dac with shunt PSU, this is mine:

img_5129.jpg

img_5128.jpg

4x Salas shunt (+12V and -12 for Opa, +5V and +3,3V for analog) and 2 separate 3,3V for AK4393 and CS8416 digital section (lm7812 + lm1117).
Modded at 90% in according of Dario's BOM, OPA827 in output. ;)

Giovanni

Last edited:
Hi folks.
regarding this dac with shunt PSU, this is mine:

img_5129.jpg

img_5128.jpg

4x Salas shunt (+12V and -12 for Opa, +5V and +3,3V for analog) and 2 separate 3,3V for AK4393 and CS8416 digital section (lm7812 + lm1117).
Modded at 90% in according of Dario's BOM, OPA827 in output. ;)

Giovanni

My experience with the SALAS Shunt Reg .
I made many tests on the PSU and i find that the significant improvements are on the +12/-12v and +5v ( AK4396).
I didn't find any improvement elsewhere ........MY OPINION :eek::eek:

Today i check a LT1021 a precision reference on the AK4396 .....

Serge

Apart the various output approaches (direct, transformers, valves) different from opamp LPF all the rest can be found on my Google Docs folder.

Thanks a lot! I was getting confused about which BOM was up to date.
So I started working backwards and found your google docs link absurdly quickly! Lucky for me.

Can I humbly suggest Version numbers or dates shown bottom right (or wherever) of BOM to help with identifying in future. I already downloaded several revisions of your BOM and can't tell from the print outs which is more recent.

Just one more parts order to come in and I am ready to solder....

Ooh the antici...................pation (better than the real thing at my age! It's all DIY in any case!).

Cheers
Bill

Thanks a lot! I was getting confused about which BOM was up to date.

The one in the Google Docs folder... ;)

Can I humbly suggest Version numbers or dates shown bottom right (or wherever) of BOM to help with identifying in future. I already downloaded several revisions of your BOM and can't tell from the print outs which is more recent.

My My_Ref BOM has revision numbers and still people found difficult to found the most up-to-date among posts on the various My_Ref's threads.

Then I've made Google Docs folders, a single place where to find the most recent one... :D

Giovanni, That is a very impressive and "Pro looking" project. Very clean.

As someone just starting on this path, I'm feeling some "mission creep" as I read through the threads. What I see in your build is in no way "mini" as is implied by the name of the board. Please believe this is is no way a criticism and I am fully willing to construct whatever is necessary to get the highest quality sound.

The best way to ask my question is to suggest the "principal of diminishing returns". Could you describe the path/experiments (or point to other posts) that led you to the selections you have made. I have all the parts to complete Dario's upgrade, but your unit appears to be a big step beyond changing items on the PCB.

Any subjective impressions of the sound your build produces, that you have the time and inclination to share, will be greatly appreciated.

Again, that is some beautiful and impressive construction.

for the guys who's working with separated output stage, maybe they can consider my slightly modified regulator for everything except ak4396 dac section

opamp regulator is disabled. i lowered the first stage regulator to 7809 (LM1117-3.3V safe input voltage is between 4.75-10V), and changed the supply voltage to dual secondary.

now i can supply both input voltage with a 2x12V transformer :)

psu.jpg

hope this helps

My experience with the SALAS Shunt Reg .
I made many tests on the PSU and i find that the significant improvements are on the +12/-12v and +5v ( AK4396).
I didn't find any improvement elsewhere ........MY OPINION :eek::eek:

Today i check a LT1021 a precision reference on the AK4396 .....

Serge

might i suggest LTC6655 as a better alternative? thats if you need a simple IC reference, IC refs are one of the areas you can still produce not only better sound, but much better objective noise performance too. the ICs above are excellent and very flexible, but given a known load and no power or size restrictions they can be used at the heart of superior devices

I have all the parts to complete Dario's upgrade, but your unit appears to be a big step beyond changing items on the PCB.

I don't see the two approaches in opposition but rather complementary. :)

A good component selection is critical to make a great circuit to sound great, a poor selection can make it sound bad... :rolleyes:

Giovanni, in fact, started from my BOM but changed PS using much better regulators.

A good recipe, IMHO :cool:

opamp regulator is disabled. i lowered the first stage regulator to 7809 (LM1117-3.3V safe input voltage is between 4.75-10V), and changed the supply voltage to dual secondary.

Not a good idea, soundwise, IMHO.

Lower PS rails mean worse performing opamp....

Not a good idea, soundwise, IMHO.

Lower PS rails mean worse performing opamp....

for the guy who's working on separated output stage, maybe they can consider my slightly modified regulator for everything except ak4396 dac section

now i can supply both input voltage with a 2x12V transformer :)

hope this helps

you should have read my post carefully. this mod is only applicable when you are using off board output stage :)

by lowering the first stage regulator, the LM1117 regulator won't be overworked. hence, better dac regulator performance (theoretically)

Last edited: